•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reputable Sources for Meteorites?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Can anyone suggest some reputable sources for purchasing meteorites? Websites, eBay sellers, etc?

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:57 PM

Astromart actually has a meteorite category in their Classifieds. I bought a nice 39-lb Campo there from an IMCA member. Included profuse background certification, formal appraisal and even photographic documentation of its particular distinguishing features! The concept of a "used meteorite" has always amused me. Maybe they should be called "pre-enjoyed" like the TV ads for used cars?  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 43 meteorite campo 39-lb.jpg

• turtle86, Jim Waters, mwedel and 2 others like this

#3 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:36 AM

You need to do background checks on the dealers, see how long they've been involved in the business, how many shows they attend etc. I had a negative experience with an IMCA member so that doesn't guarantee anything. And being a lurker on a mailing list has opened my eyes to the fact that this field seems to attract a disproportionate number of cranks. Trust your better judgment is my advice.

#4 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

There are many reliable dealers both on eBay, and off the site. Unfortunately even 100% feedback is no longer a guarantee of reliability there, because the system doesn't necessarily reflect the true sales history, and eBay does absolutely nothing about fraudulent listings. There are plenty of reliable dealers there, but the ones with a long history and close to 100% feedback are the best bet. Apart from eBay there are numerous high quality dealers, but again, you should become familiar with their history and what buyers have to say. There are also occasional 'dealers' who present with very impressive websites, but the material they are promoting is entirely fraudulent. The best advice is to educate yourself in advance of any purchase. Know something about the variety you are considering, it's appearance, and monetary value. There are a number of groups on Facebook you could take a look at for a source of dealers, as well as what to avoid.

Lee

• mwedel and B 26354 like this

#5 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

Astromart actually has a meteorite category in their Classifieds. I bought a nice 39-lb Campo there from an IMCA member. Included profuse background certification, formal appraisal and even photographic documentation of its particular distinguishing features! The concept of a "used meteorite" has always amused me. Maybe they should be called "pre-enjoyed" like the TV ads for used cars?  Tom

My pride has been completely eclipsed!

After being an avid visual observer for more than sixty years, I finally bought my first-ever meteorite last year -- an iron, medium octahedrite IIIAB from Henbury, Northern Territory, Australia -- from an IMCA member on eBay.

Henbury Meteorite - C-N.jpg

I have it proudly displayed in an acrylic case on my desk... and viewing it from the angle in my photo, its longest dimension is about 25mm. Its actual longest dimension is 30mm... and it weighs a massive 23.3 grams.  lol.gif

That specimen of yours is unbelievable!

Edited by B 26354, 30 August 2018 - 07:18 PM.

• turtle86, mwedel, lee14 and 3 others like this

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

Link is in my signature.  :)

• zjc26138, darklighteditor, mark8888 and 1 other like this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

My pride has been completely eclipsed!

After being an avid visual observer for more than sixty years, I finally bought my first-ever meteorite last year -- an iron, medium octahedrite IIIAB from Henbury, Northern Territory, Australia -- from an IMCA member on eBay.

attachicon.gif Henbury Meteorite - C-N.jpg

I have it proudley displayed in an acryllic case on my desk... and viewing it from the angle in my photo, its longest dimension is about 25mm. Its actual longest dimension is 30mm... and it weighs a massive 23.3 grams.  lol.gif

That specimen of yours is unbelievable!

Yours is cool, too!

I made the display case for mine. It comprises a lazy susan, custom-blown lid and WWII new-old-stock porthole glass for the base! I figure the profuse documentation is as valuable as the meteorite! "Museum-Quality!"

On cloudy nights, I stay up watching Star Trek reruns, eating popcorn, meteorite in my lap... petting it.  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 44 Tom and Campo.jpg
  • 45 display.jpg

• csa/montana, John Gauvreau, mwedel and 4 others like this

#8 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Tom, that is awesome!  

#9 Pbinder

Pbinder

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

I bought tiny little pebble sized meteorite from a telescope store. I would like to believe they are real. Anyway to visually tell? Also both of the posted meteorites are awesome. Love the custom case!

#10 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

I bought tiny little pebble sized meteorite from a telescope store. I would like to believe they are real. Any way to visually tell? Also both of the posted meteorites are awesome. Love the custom case!

Thanks! Obviously, mine pales in comparison to Tom's... but to hold a chunk of primordial material that's as old as our solar system in the palm of your hand, is just mesmerizing.

Regarding visual assessment -- and just an overall greater understanding of these pieces of former stardust -- I bought used copies of these books, immediately after receiving my little octahedrite:

Meteorites: A Journey through Space and Time

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rocks from Space: Meteorites and Meteorite Hunters

Meteorites

Edited by B 26354, 08 September 2018 - 10:45 AM.

• Pbinder likes this

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

Ray (107) is in Canada an offers up a slew of Meteors and accessories from time to time.

Drop him a line and see what he has to offer!

#12 Starry Messenger

Starry Messenger

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Vermont

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:13 AM

I have a great collection of meteorites that I bought from various Cloudy Nights sources, but the best fellow I’ve come across is Ray Watts (107 on Cloudy Nights) from Canada. Very honest, an IMCA member (International Meteorite Collectors Association #6289), and you can buy from him with a certain degree of confidence. In fact, Ray claims that anything he sells is guaranteed for life! I would like to add that Ray is also a moderator on Facebook for the Meteorite group . . . he has written newspaper articles and has been in articles regarding Meteorites. He’s huge into outreach with Meteorites, has done presentations with various groups and even a three-month museum display. He was recently asked to join forces with a couple professors from Western University in London Ontario, Canada to run an identification clinic for the Hagersville Meteorite .. (a true honor!).

Hope that helps!

#13 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

Agree completely, you can buy with confidence from Ray Watts.  He is great to deal with and a really good guy.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics