•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting for the Baader Maxbright Mark 2?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

If there is no need for a large aperture the new mirror binoviewer that some vendors offer may be an option.

Cheers, Emil

• junomike likes this

#27 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

If there is no need for a large aperture the new mirror binoviewer that some vendors offer may be an option.

Cheers, Emil

I was thinking of it, but since I've heard very mixed reviews of it, I hesitate to recommend it.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#28 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

Had those. A decent design. But since I do not need 20mm clear aperture, I could use lighter / smaller. And would be willing to pay for this, but nothing is available.

An option may be one of the older 60 degree angled from baader also branded as celestron on the used marked If you can find a pair?

No need for glas path corrector or Barlow.

They only have 17mm clear aperture on both telescope and eyepiece side. Optically they are realy good. I once had one of these and used it a lot with especially the mewlon 210 I had. Excellent planetary views sharp and contrasty.

Theres a review here on CN comparing different binoviewers including a celestron branded unit.

Only downside I found with these are the Eyepiece holders which has setscrews, hence decentering can occur. Theres a solution for this. 

Edited by roadi, 09 December 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#29 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

Cheers, Emil

I´ve thought a lot about these but can´t decide between those and the TS unit. Might take a chance on a pair after Christmas.

#30 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:08 AM

An option may be one of the older 60 degree angled from baader also branded as celestron on the used marked If you can find a pair?

No need for glas path corrector or Barlow.

They only have 17mm clear aperture on both telescope and eyepiece side. Optically they are realy good. I once had one of these and used it a lot with especially the mewlon 210 I had. Excellent planetary views sharp and contrasty.

Theres a review here on CN comparing different binoviewers including a celestron branded unit.

Only downside I found with these are the Eyepiece holders which has setscrews, hence decentering can occur. Theres a solution for this. 

Yeah, I am thinking of those as well at some point.

Re the new mirror binoviewers - the reviews I read indicate they are not suitable for high magnification work, so no go for m,e.

#31 demorcef

demorcef

Lift Off

• Loc: Chicago, IL USA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

I received the following bit of good new information from Bob at Alpine Astro, who has been in communication with Baader:

"We are finally coming down the homestretch on the new Maxbright Bino.  We may see them by end of March.  They are a pretty big upgrade over the old one, so the price will definitely increase.

Best Regards,

Bob

Alpine Astronomical, LLC

www.alpineastro.com "

#32 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

I received the following bit of good new information from Bob at Alpine Astro, who has been in communication with Baader:

"We are finally coming down the homestretch on the new Maxbright Bino.  We may see them by end of March.  They are a pretty big upgrade over the old one, so the price will definitely increase.

Best Regards,

Bob

Alpine Astronomical, LLC

www.alpineastro.com "

Sounds good. So maybe they will present the new viewer at the ATT mid-year or the AME in autumn. I hope the price will not move beyond the mid-point between the old Maxbright and the Zeiss. In that area, they would be pretty much on their own.

Cheers, Emil

#33 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

I just checked. Price has been set at 425 euro. Definitely a big increase.

#34 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:26 PM

I think that 425 Euro includes German VAT - the price to export customers is Eur 357 or roughly $383 (or C$525).

Given the 25mm aperture, it's compatibility with the T2 system and collets that really work,  I think it's a bargain.

#35 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

I think that 425 Euro includes German VAT - the price to export customers is Eur 357 or roughly $383 (or C$525).

Given the 25mm aperture, it's compatibility with the T2 system and collets that really work, I think it's a bargain.

That would be even better. Can't wait to get my hands on a pair ever since I dropped my Mark V.

#36 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

Used them briefly at a trade fair yesterday. Set up with TEC140 and Morpheus 12mm. Don't know which, if any, GPC. Target were some leaves in a tree in low sunlight. Absolutely beautiful view of the play of sunlight with the early autumn colors. Don't know what could be better! Wow. That will become an expensive experience. Fortunately I also found out that ultrawide eyepieces (100+) are NOT for me, which will save a bit. By the way - well crafted solid metal housing with nice-to-touch leathrette accents. 

Emil

• Axunator likes this

#37 demorcef

demorcef

Lift Off

• Loc: Chicago, IL USA

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

Extra Extra! Read all about it!

https://www.baader-p...-with-case.html

I am SO STOKED!

• Scott in NC likes this

#38 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:12 PM

Extra Extra! Read all about it!

https://www.baader-p...-with-case.html

I am SO STOKED!

+1 . But first the Pentax XW 30 & 40 eyepieces. So I must wait now....

#39 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

I am looking for Binoviewers for my FC100DL. I’ve never tried them but some people seem to swear by them. I was going to order the WO this week but then ran across a link to the Maxbright II. Should I hold off? Seems like a pretty nice upgrade to the WOs for only about $100 more. 

Will these work work well in a 4” f9 refractor? How about the NP127? Is it possible to find a binoviewer that doesn’t require a half dozen add-ons to get them to focus? If not, I’ll just stick with my mono viewing. 

Thanks in advance for any insights. 

#40 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:09 PM

What is Baader waiting for? 

#41 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

I am looking for Binoviewers for my FC100DL. I’ve never tried them but some people seem to swear by them. I was going to order the WO this week but then ran across a link to the Maxbright II. Should I hold off? Seems like a pretty nice upgrade to the WOs for only about $100 more. 

Will these work work well in a 4” f9 refractor? How about the NP127? Is it possible to find a binoviewer that doesn’t require a half dozen add-ons to get them to focus? If not, I’ll just stick with my mono viewing. 

If you don't mind working at 2x, then is all you need is the Maxbright II and a Televue 2x amplifier and this will make it work in any scope you have now or get in the future. 

The thing is that the biggest complaint about binoviewers is that the 1.25" eyepieces are going to always restrict your true field and having to use a 2x amplifier will make it even harder to get a wide field view.

If you are using it for planets, solar, double star, or small DSOs, then this is not an issue because here, the 2x amplifier is acutually valuable because it is better to use a Barlow to raise powers than to use short focal lenght eyepieces in the binoviewer. 

Many of the inexpensive units come with a 2x Barlow, but these won't bring every telescope to focus (many refractors that can reach focus with a 2" diagonal will reach focus with the supplied 2x Barlow if you go to a 1.25" diagonal).

So, if you don't mind the fact that you are limited to 2x amplification with 1.25" eyepieces, then there is not much else to buy.  

If though you want to work at lower powers (let's say 1.25x if you are lucky enough to have the necessary back focus) you might have to buy a T2 diagonal and a GPC.

My advice though for the 127 is to ask on the refractor forum what people have had to do to reach focus.   This forum does not get nearly the traffic and you could wait a long time to hear from someone that has used binoviewers with a TV 127. 

• StarAlert likes this

#42 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

What is Baader waiting for? 

Going by what they write on their website, they are currently doing the QC on the first shipment they received. I would be surprised if it is not available for Christmas shopping.

Nice answer by Edgie. If you use a 2" diagonal, it may be enough to change to a 1.25" diagonal to save the backfocus you need for the binoviewer. The Baader is quite short - about 100mm. If you have 150mm of backfocus using a 1.25" prism may leave you with enough backfocus. If it is getting tight, Baader also offers a 1.25 "Barlow" or better GPC, which will gain you some backfocus and at the same time correct for color errors that the prisms of the binoviewer may introduce to the image. The short answer, if you have a 1.25" diagonal with T-2 connector you may be all set. If you don't, you may need one and a GPC (1.25, 1.7, ..., ...). That's two gadgets at worst - four short of a half dozen.

Emil

#43 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:02 PM

Going by what they write on their website, they are currently doing the QC on the first shipment they received. I would be surprised if it is not available for Christmas shopping.

Nice answer by Edgie. If you use a 2" diagonal, it may be enough to change to a 1.25" diagonal to save the backfocus you need for the binoviewer. The Baader is quite short - about 100mm. If you have 150mm of backfocus using a 1.25" prism may leave you with enough backfocus. If it is getting tight, Baader also offers a 1.25 "Barlow" or better GPC, which will gain you some backfocus and at the same time correct for color errors that the prisms of the binoviewer may introduce to the image. The short answer, if you have a 1.25" diagonal with T-2 connector you may be all set. If you don't, you may need one and a GPC (1.25, 1.7, ..., ...). That's two gadgets at worst - four short of a half dozen.

Emil

Thanks Emil waytogo.gif

I have a Tak 1.25” prism diagonal. I’m not familiar with what a T-2 connector is.

How do I measure how much backfocus a scope has? 

I’d be ok with a 1.25x Barlow. 

#44 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:44 AM

Someone asked televue about the backfocus of the NP127. Apparently it has 136mm. Path length of the new Maxbright is 110mm. Path length of the Badder T2 prism is 35mm. So you need 145mm. According to Baader, the 1.25 GPC will gain 18mm  with the big Baader binoviewer - the 1.7 GPC about 40mm. The backfocus gains with the new Maxbright are not out yet. If they are the same, the 1.25 would cut it too close to my taste (128mm). The 1.7 GPC would give you 105mm, which is about the same as an ordinary 2" mirror diagonal. That should be fine.

I will use the 1.25 GPC with my APM140 - mainly because of the color; the scope would have enough backfocus (180mm) without. That was one of the many factors I was considering when I decided on the 140. I will need the 1.7 GPC for my GT81, which is fine as the increase in focal length means that I can use pretty much the same set of eyepieces with the WO and the APM.

Don't know if the Takahashi diagonal has a T2 connection.

Emil

Edited by emilslomi, 01 October 2019 - 04:10 AM.

#45 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

Someone asked televue about the backfocus of the NP127. Apparently it has 136mm. Path length of the new Maxbright is 110mm. Path length of the Badder T2 prism is 35mm. So you need 145mm. According to Baader, the 1.25 GPC will gain 18mm  with the big Baader binoviewer - the 1.7 GPC about 40mm. The backfocus gains with the new Maxbright are not out yet. If they are the same, the 1.25 would cut it too close to my taste (128mm). The 1.7 GPC would give you 105mm, which is about the same as an ordinary 2" mirror diagonal. That should be fine.

I will use the 1.25 GPC with my APM140 - mainly because of the color; the scope would have enough backfocus (180mm) without. That was one of the many factors I was considering when I decided on the 140. I will need the 1.7 GPC for my GT81, which is fine as the increase in focal length means that I can use pretty much the same set of eyepieces with the WO and the APM.

Emil

I just called Televue and they told me the np127 has 142.24mm (5.6”) of backfocus. So it looks like I should be pretty close with just a 1.25. 

#46 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

Emil

And I just called Takahashi America and they’re telling me I have 223mm of backfocus on my FC100DL. How is that possible? So it looks like I don’t need a Barlow or GPC to use a binoviewer. 

• 25585 likes this

#47 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

And I just called Takahashi America and they’re telling me I have 223mm of backfocus on my FC100DL. How is that possible? So it looks like I don’t need a Barlow or GPC to use a binoviewer. 

I don't know. If it is upsetting you, I would complain or maybe return the telescope :-) I would use the 1.25 GPC anyway - would be sad to sacrifice that bit of extra quality if you start out with a Tak.

Emil

• StarAlert likes this

#48 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

I don't know. If it is upsetting you, I would complain or maybe return the telescope :-) I would use the 1.25 GPC anyway - would be sad to sacrifice that bit of extra quality if you start out with a Tak.

Emil

I'm just a bit confused as to what back focus is. They say my Tak has almost 9" of it and I don't see where this 9" is. Is that the length from the end of the telescope tube to the back end of all the focuser stuff they've added. There seems to be a lot.

Thanks for your help, Emil

• 25585 likes this

#49 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

If the focuser is all in, the distance between the backmost surface of the focuser and the focal plane of the telescope is the backfocus. Usually that part of the light path is surrounded by the diagonal and with however much of the drawtube of the focuser is raked out to put the focal plane exactly at the fieldstop of the eyepiece. If all the gadget eat up more light path than you have backfocus, there is no way the focuser can focus. If the focuser is all out and your gadgets do not eat up the rest of the light path, you can't focus either. My WO 81 needs a 2" diagonal. A 1.25" diagonal leaver so much backfocus that the focal plane of the scope is still hanging somewhere over the diagonal when the focuser is all out. 

I think Taks have this blackish tube attached to the focuser that can be taken out if you need all the backfocus there could be, but you really should ask the takoholics to help you with that.

Emil

• 25585 and StarAlert like this

#50 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

A 1.25" diagonal might work but binoviewers are heavy and you may get more flex than you really want.

Tak seems to leave a lot of back focus on its refractors. I expect this is to facilitate imaging, but it also encourages owners to purchase the 72mm extension tubes.... I doubt they are unaware of this.

On the Maxbright binoviewer - with 223 mm of back focus, you will use 110 mm with the binoviewer and about the same with a 2" diagonal so you may be ok... It may depend on your 72 mm - 2" adapter. I found my TOA (239 mm from the 4" exhaust) needed the diagonal for an FSQ in order to reach focus at unity power.

If that doesn't work, a 2"-T2 adapter + the Baader T2 diagonal (Zeiss spec) and the T2 dovetail should be on your shopping list.

• StarAlert likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics