•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Proof of eternity?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#301 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Cats, as with crows, live in the time called now.

I like that. I need to be more like a cat and crow. 

• llanitedave, Crow Haven and Joe1950 like this

#302 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:15 PM

Roger Penrose pointed out that in a universe that only contained energy, there is no way to measure

time or distance. This is a natural consequence of general relativity and spacetime geometry.

Time does not stop, and can be measured, so long as particles of matter or photons continue to move relative to one another, whether by kinematic motion through space or by the expansion of space itself. A universe which contains only energy will be filled with photons of electromagnetic energy moving at the speed of light, or with (as yet unknown) fundamental particles of dark energy moving at (as yet unknown) speed. Therefore, after the Big Bang, time never stops in our universe.

Before the Big Bang, if we exist in a multiverse, time did not stand still.

Before the Big Bang, if we do not exist in a multiverse, the medium within which the Big Bang occurred (think of it as space extrinsic to our universe), devoid of all matter and energy, was still filled with quantum fluctuations which could be used as a measure of time. From another point of view, the Big Bang, which involves a change in condition over time, could never have happaned if the pre-existing condition was "frozen" in time.

• Joe1950 likes this

#303 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:42 PM

It's making my head spin. To eternity,  time is insignificant and non-essential......so much so, that eternity could claim that time doesn't even exist. Yet humans claim it does since we see us age and other things like galaxies evolve. To time, eternity can't exist for If it did time would not have a beginning or end and wouldn't exist without them but since time does exist it could make the claim that eternity is impossible. 

Why do you have trouble adopting eternity into your philosophy? A ball has no beginning and no end, yet it exists. Add two dimensions to the concept, and you have our universe. Add another dimension, and you have a multiverse. A brief study of quantum physics abounds with examples of consistently repeatable phenomena which are entirely beyond the limits of human experience and our capacity to formulate mental models.

Edited by rekokich, 14 October 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#304 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

I like that. I need to be more like a cat and crow. 

That would be quite the hybrid!

• Crow Haven and Joe1950 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics