•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SKY SAFARI 6 ANDROID IS OUT!

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Oklahoma

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Oh happy day, SS6 for android has finally launched and they are running a 50% off deal for a few days.

Get it while its hot!

• krahling and 25585 like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:12 PM

I don't see a release statement.

Edited by Jim Waters, 04 September 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#3 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

Downloading it now.

Ooowee, 1.73 GB download for the pro version.

#4 Waltski

Waltski

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:26 PM

I don't see a release statement.

Here's the link...

https://skysafariast...or-android.html

Edited by Waltski, 04 September 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#5 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

This is where I went.

https://play.google....m.skysafari6pro

It literally just launched about 45 minutes ago so maybe all links aren't active yet?

Edited by Muddman97, 04 September 2018 - 07:32 PM.

#6 krahling

krahling

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio, USA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:37 PM

Thanks!

I'm downloading it now.

• Muddman97 likes this

#7 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:39 PM

I ran across the launch announcement on FB.

The link I posted above is good. waytogo.gif

#8 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

At my first glance it sux as an update.... update at your own risk.. They even, either intentionally negligently, left out telrad circles in the display options. Seems like, Outside of some enhanced logging functions, the only thing this update really does is add additional monetization avenues for Simulation Curriculum.

Edit: I found the the menu items I was initially concerned about and retract my sux comment. It seems to be, at further glance, a pretty decent update. There is some fairly nice added functionality over the previous version. Still not sure about the cloud storage and added monetization bits though.

Edited by Sean Wood, 05 September 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#9 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

At my first glance it sux as an update.... update at your own risk.. They even, either intentionally negligently, left out telrad circles in the display options. Seems like, Outside of some enhanced logging functions, the only thing this update really does is add additional monetization avenues for Simulation Curriculum.

I haven't dug into it yet but for folks like me, who were running SS5+ and eagerly awaiting the SS6 launch, I'd imagine its a very worthwhile upgrade.

I mean why would I upgrade to SS5 Pro when SS6 was on the launch pad?

Plus I got SS6 for free, just been doing little surveys for Google here and there and they pay a few cents for each one.  I had almost $35 in my Google account, the app was $20, so whats not like?  At least for me anyway.

• Waltski likes this

#10 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

Got the pinwheel of hope when trying to download via browser.  Doesn't show up in app store on my phone...

• happylimpet likes this

#11 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

Got the pinwheel of hope when trying to download via browser.  Doesn't show up in app store on my phone...

Try pasting the link I posted above to your phone. 

Lol...."pinwheel of hope".

#12 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Try pasting the link I posted above to your phone. 

Lol...."pinwheel of hope".

That did it.  THANKS!

Downloading now

• Muddman97 likes this

#13 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

THANKS!!!!

Got it - looks nice

Timm

• Muddman97 likes this

#14 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

Downloaded Pro and Plus. Initial thoughts after about 10 minutes with it:

(1) Pro is now MUCH faster. V5 Pro had a couple second delay when searching an object, gone with V.6. (Never was an issue with V.5 Plus).

(2) Configurable soft keys at the bottom is a HUGE improvement.

(3) Galaxy view in the Pro version is causing Pro to shut down on my Galaxy S8. Looks like a bug, hopefully will be fixed in an upgrade? (This is the only reason I use Pro, but I do love the galaxy view at the scope).

(4) No Telrad circles mentioned in a previous post, and also no telescope reticle display (which if it had been available would allow for mimicking a Telrad by setting the custom rings to 4, 2, 0.5 degrees). This is a big step backward for me as a visual observer - having that 5 deg FOV circle is extremely helpful for using a RACI. If anyone finds a workaround would be great to hear.

Even with point (4), the faster speed and configurable soft keys makes it a win overall to my mind, at least so far.

Eta, galaxy view works fine on my Samsung tablet. The issue MUST be another "upgrade" of my new S8 phone :-(

Edited by NEOhio, 04 September 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  Leaving tomorrow at 6 am for a week view on the Navajo es.  No internet.  I can download it tonite.  Not deleting 5 though.. 

Jon

• Muddman97 and Ursa Minor like this

#16 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:26 PM

Moved to Astronomy Software & Computers for better fit of topic.

• Jon Isaacs and Muddman97 like this

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

I can't believe they left out the Telrad circles and the finder eyepiece options.  They must be there but I can't find them .  They're mentioned in the help file as being in the telescope display but they're not there .

They do have the larger font option . 

I had signed up to be a Beta Tester but the rigmarole to complete the signup was too much for my feeble brain.  And then I had to buy it.  That's never happened before.  What's that all about . 

Until the finder and Telrad circles issue is resolved,  I can't use it .

Jon

#18 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:30 AM

The telrad circles are there. They just moved it to another menu on the tray, rather than being in the settings menu it's now in the Observe menu under scope display. You'll also find your options for your equipment list. And functions for making and managing observation lists. I looked through that menu several times and must have glanced right over it. Just didn't seem to make sense to put those things together. But it is what it is.
  • Muddman97 likes this

#19 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

As Sean said, we haven't removed the Telrad circles.  We grouped the UI most likely to be used during Observing under the Observe menu.  That the where the Scope Display screen that used to be under Settings is now found.

If you want to see what is new in SkySafari for Android: 

http://www.skysafari...or-android.html

• swsantos, MikeMiller and Muddman97 like this

#20 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

First impressions perspective from a relatively newbie.   Up until now I was using SS5 Free version. I was waiting for 6 to come out to purchase.  I got the Plus version for 6.   I primarily used version the free 5 for the alt/az coordinates for my manual setting circles.   Now I see why everyone likes SS.  

I have only really used it for a VERY short time last night, and I am really liking it.  So many more objects than the free version.  Although I just downloaded last night, and went out with the scope in less than idea conditions (VERY hot and humid, low 80s even at midnight) from my light polluted yard, I found a few more objects that were not in the free version, and hard to star hop to due to the light pollution.   

I found the Telrad setting and created my own 5 degree FOV with ease.   Maybe since I didn't have that option before, finding it was easier for me.  Would be nice to have control over the color as with I made a FOV for my 25mm eyepiece it was the same color as the 5 deg FOV I made. Maybe that setting is in there.    Used that to find the Dumbbell Nebula where before I resorted to the setting circles as the sky is rather sparse of brighter stars in that area for me.  Took a while to get the left/right up/down worked out..... it was only after I came in for the night that I found the setting to flip the screen.  NICE.  Will be using that.  Would be really nice to have a toggle button on the home screen for the flip as  I will switching between a right side up finder and my Dob eyepiece.  

As it was getting rather late, I used the circles to find other objects as before, just this time they were new to me.  I really like the logging feature.  Will definitely help me keep track of objects found.   I use the abbreviation MF in the notes to note objects I found manually as opposed to the circles.  

Also nice is the option for the larger font size and the addition (to me anyway ) of the object size in the display.  That really helps for what to expect on new objects.    

I also signed up for the for LiveSky.   REALLY handy to enter stuff on the PC and have it on my phone and tablet.  I had already entered my primary viewing locations and equipment, and created a list before V6 came out in anticipation.   Of the 3 sites I have listed, it knew that I was at home, and used that location in the observing log.

Still a lot to go through through.    Of course next 7 days is nothing but rain in the forecast.

• btschumy, Jon Isaacs and zleonis like this

#21 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

As Sean said, we haven't removed the Telrad circles.  We grouped the UI most likely to be used during Observing under the Observe menu.  That the where the Scope Display screen that used to be under Settings is now found.

If you want to see what is new in SkySafari for Android: 

http://www.skysafari...or-android.html

Yes, I was so excited about being able to pare down the lower menu options I immediately removed the "Observer" button (left only search, select, settings, time, and night mode), failing to realize that the "Observer" button is where the FOV reticle is now located. Works great now, thanks for the info. Having the pared down buttons at the bottom is sooo nice, makes it much more usable and no more accidentally being sent off into orbit :-)

ETA: BTW, did you do anything to make the catalog search in the Pro version faster compared with V.5? It definitely is faster, with v.5 it would take up to several seconds to bring up an object on either my phone or tablet, with v.6 it is now is very nearly instantaneous. I'm assuming something got updated under the hood here?

Edited by NEOhio, 05 September 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Sean Wood like this

#22 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Moved to Astronomy Software & Computers for better fit of topic.

Apologies, I got caught up in my own excitement.

• MikeMiller likes this

#23 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

ETA: BTW, did you do anything to make the catalog search in the Pro version faster compared with V.5? It definitely is faster, with v.5 it would take up to several seconds to bring up an object on either my phone or tablet, with v.6 it is now is very nearly instantaneous. I'm assuming something got updated under the hood here?

We made some small changes to search but I wouldn't think it would be that noticeable.  Glad you are finding it faster.

#24 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:08 PM

Hi Bill,

Just upgraded and looking forward to using it. Is there a way to migrate the settings from SS5 to SS6? Such as copying the files over to the directories used by SS6 on the device.

Thank you.

#25 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

Hi Bill,

Just upgraded and looking forward to using it. Is there a way to migrate the settings from SS5 to SS6? Such as copying the files over to the directories used by SS6 on the device.

Thank you.

Go to the Help icon on the doc and how to do this is in the very first help article.

• AJ, krahling and RazvanUnderStars like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics