•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SKY SAFARI 6 ANDROID IS OUT!

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#26 otisw

otisw

Explorer 1

• Loc: Leander, Texas

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

Bill is there a way on an unrooted phone to move the SS version 6 pro obb file to the uSD card?  It's a real problem with how much space it takes up.  I'm on a 32 GB Samsung S7 Edge with a 128 GB card and my internal memory is continually being hogged by apps that won't let you move them to external uSD.

Edited by otisw, 05 September 2018 - 04:13 PM.

#27 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

Be aware of your Android font sizes.  If you have them set larger than the small settings (perhaps because you're eyes are older and need bigger fonts) you will find that some of the text items will shift, move over, or down, or even off the screen.

Just a suggestion   bigshock.gif bugeyes.gif

#28 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

Glad I saw this before leaving for BFSP tomorrow morning. Sitting at work and told Google Play to install it and the big download on my tablet at home.

Sometimes I love living in the future. :)

• krahling and Muddman97 like this

#29 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:22 PM

Really, there is no easy way to import settings from SS5 to SS6?

I take back everything good I said about the future.

Edited by MikeMiller, 05 September 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#30 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:31 PM

No longer supports storing files on Google Drive? Forces you to use their "LiveSky" cloud, that I assume will become a subscription at some point when they decide they need more money from us.

Hmm, considering getting a refund.

#31 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

No longer supports storing files on Google Drive? Forces you to use their "LiveSky" cloud, that I assume will become a subscription at some point when they decide they need more money from us.

Hmm, considering getting a refund.

No. "LiveSky" will always be free to backup and sync your data across devices. You own the content you create.  You can seamlessly sync across devices, even between Android and iOS.

• Muddman97 likes this

#32 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

Look like it is the case. LiveSky seems to be entirely useless unless you pay for a subscription. All it does is harrass you to pay if you want to actually edit anything.

All I need to do is copy observing lists that I create in SkyTools on to the phone easily. Used to do this by simply copying to Google Drive and being good to go. There is a backup way by hooking a usb cable to the phone and copying the files into the Sky Safari manually (hopefully they did not disable that).

It looks like  Simulation Curriculum is jumping on the "cloud" greed train. Not only do you have to pay to upgrade the app, you also have to pay a monthy fee that costs more than the app is worth at full price, per year. Nice bit of double-dipping.

Unless someone correct me about how LiveSky works without a subscription, (and I will be happy to retract my statements) it looks like SkySafari6 is going on the trash heap.

skysafari6-1.png

#33 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

No. "LiveSky" will always be free to backup and sync your data across devices. You own the content you create.  You can seamlessly sync across devices, even between Android and iOS.

That does not appear to be the case. I get a message that says "The Equipment feature is only available to users of: SkySafari 6 Plus, SkySafari 6 Pro and LiveSky Premium"

I did buy SkySafari 6 Pro, but I see a lot of messages about "requiring subscription" to edit my own data, assuming I can get LiveSky to figure out that I did actually pay for the app in the first place.

#34 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

Also, you are wrong. Your own LiveSky says you have to pay to edit equipment profiles or observing lists.

skysafari.png

• Sean Wood likes this

#35 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

I was able to copy the files from SS5 to SS6 without LiveSky or any other cloud service (as Sean Wood mentioned above, it's the first item in Help). It's a local file copy, you can do it when the device is connected to a computer or you can do it right on the device with a file manager (I use this one and just noticed it has an appropriate name :-)

• MikeMiller likes this

#36 otisw

otisw

Explorer 1

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

Actually it's simple.  You can use an android file manager to copy the settings file right from your phone or tablet from the old version to the new version's Saved Settings directory. No need to involve a PC, usb connection etc.  I use the android app ES Explorer, a free app that works similarly to Windows Explorer.  Here's the steps to do that:

Open the directory SkySafari 5 Pro/Saved Settings and select the file [CurrentSettings].skyset by holding your finger on the filename  until a checkbox appears (and gets checked).  Now click the 3 dots at the upper right hand corner and select the menu item "Copy to".  Navigate to "SkySafari 6 Pro/Saved Settings" and then click OK.  You're done.

Wayne

Edited by otisw, 05 September 2018 - 06:00 PM.

• Robin Baker, MikeMiller and Ryan555_1 like this

#37 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

Thanks, it looks like you can do the same thing for copying observing lists manually into the SkySafari 6 directory.

Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they took away a feature to try to push a subscription service. They should ask Electronic Arts about how well that goes over.

Theres a 24 or 48 hour window for refunds, so I will see what other features they removed. The only thing that will probably keep me as a customer is if they improved the scope integration. I always have enormous problems getting SS5 to cooperate with my Nexus DSC.

#38 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

Also, you are wrong. Your own LiveSky says you have to pay to edit equipment profiles or observing lists.

attachicon.gif skysafari.png

I'm not wrong.  You can edit all of your data in SkySafari 6 - in the app - just as before - and you can sync and backup your data for free - just as before.  Give it a couple of days and I think it will become clear how it all works.

If you want the convenience of being able to additionally edit your data on a desktop computer or even on a Windows machine, then you can use LiveSky Premium.  For users who log observations and prefer the convenience of editing their data on a desktop computer, it's a fantastic feature.  It takes time to develop and maintain the premium features in LiveSky and we do charge for it to ensure it meets the needs of our users.

Edited by ordep, 06 September 2018 - 08:26 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Muddman97 like this

#39 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'm not wrong.  You can edit all of your data in SkySafari 6 - in the app - just as before - and you can sync and backup your data for free - just as before.  Give it a couple of days and I think it will become clear how it all works.

If you want the convenience of being able to additionally edit your data on a desktop computer or even on a Windows machine, then you can use LiveSky Premium.  For users who log observations and prefer the convenience of editing their data on a desktop computer, it's a fantastic feature.  It takes time to develop and maintain the premium features in LiveSky and we do charge for it to ensure it meets the needs of our users.

Yeah, give it a couple of days... then I won't be able to get a refund. :)

I must apologize for how harsh I sound. It is because I really do care. I am just frustrated that while SS6 is vastly improved program (from what I have seen so far), the push for subscription cloud on top of the price to buy the app itself is simply unacceptable. One of the other would probably be fine since SC is committed to keeping the software current unlike so many other companies. I would actually be fine with a subscription, but the way it is being pushed is what immediately sends up red flags.

Taking a feature that was in SS5 (Google Drive upload) and putting it behind a subscription paywall is just a bad move.

I understand that the Google and Apple stores make it hard to do subscription based software. But this is not my problem, it is yours.

#40 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, give it a couple of days... then I won't be able to get a refund. smile.gif

Taking a feature that was in SS5 (Google Drive upload) and putting it behind a subscription paywall is just a bad move.

We can always give you a refund smile.gif and remember that although backup isn't done via Google any longer, your data is backed up to LiveSky for free - so it's not behind a subscription paywall.  The only difference is that we now use our own servers (called livesky) to backup your data.  There are many advantages to this - from backup to the ability to sync across multiple devices, even across different platforms in the future.  You'll never have to manually drag files around between different versions of SkySafari.

Edited by ordep, 06 September 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• Muddman97 likes this

#41 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

IF, capital "I" capital "F", I were to decide to stop using Skysafari what options do I have with my data stored on Live Sky. With having only a free version of access does the inability to edit a online data allow me to delete my data? Or is it there for perpetuity? 

#42 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:21 AM

IF, capital "I" capital "F", I were to decide to stop using Skysafari what options do I have with my data stored on Live Sky. With having only a free version of access does the inability to edit a online data allow me to delete my data? Or is it there for perpetuity? 

If you delete the data from your device, it will delete it from LiveSky when you sync.  You can export your data from the free version of LiveSky at any time - you own the data.  You can export in CSV format.  In an effort to make your observing data as portable as possible, we also added export support for Open Astronomy Log (OAL), a free and open XML schema for astronomical observations that is supported by other software vendors such as Deep-Sky Planner.

#43 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Is there a way to import a custom observing list?  Up until now I have been keeping a list in a Google Spreadsheet for items to observe and printing it out to use at the scope.     Is there a way I can import this into SS6? 

Even if there was a way to import just a text file with each object on a line that would be great.  I checked and don't see a way to do this.

Thanks
Dave

#44 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

For $20 I went for it as I am strongly considering getting the wifi device for ZWO cameras and it works with SS. I can see sitting in my living room watching TV and my SLT/ST80 on the deck and doing EAA  smile.gif

Edited by Jeff Lee, 06 September 2018 - 12:52 PM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#45 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

A couple more questions:

1) Is the Sky and Telescope Skyweek still available in the pro version, as well as Tonight at a glance?

2) Is a Livesky account required to use Skysafari pro, or is it only required for utilizing the backup and export features?

Thank you for the previous response to the question! :)

#46 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

To move to card, simply go into control panel on the phone, find "APP" and click on the SS and select memory usage, and then change, Move to Card. Simple, works like a charm.

• timmbottoni and AnalogKid like this

#47 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

A couple more questions:

1) Is the Sky and Telescope Skyweek still available in the pro version, as well as Tonight at a glance?

2) Is a Livesky account required to use Skysafari pro, or is it only required for utilizing the backup and export features?

Thank you for the previous response to the question! smile.gif

For question 1 - Yes, and Yes - AND.. if you go to Settings > Appearance & Behavior and click on the button for "Configure Toolbar" you can now choose to show or not show them along with almost everything else.

For question 2 - No, you don't need a Livesky account to use SkySafair Pro, I haven't set up one yet and its working great.

Edited by timmbottoni, 06 September 2018 - 01:52 PM.

• bluesteel likes this

#48 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

Two things I wish I could do....

I have several rectangles (for various scope, camera and eyepiece options) depicting my field of view for scope+camera, scope+camera/flattener, and guidescope+camera

1. Rotate the rectangle while in the main view so that it would show the N/S/E/W indicators matching the object I'm framing, but without having to go into the Observe> Scope Display > Field Rotation option which I find clunky to use this way.  If I could just grab and rotate the rectangles, I would then have a better idea how much to rotate my camera rotation to match it.
  2. Be able to color code the different rectangles and make their titles more easily visible when zooming in because sometimes I'm a dummy and forget which rectangles I have turned on and you can't always see their titles.  Actually being able to change the color on the text of objects in the view would be nice too. The teal blue is sometimes not great, and I often don't have a need to go into night mode where it all turns red.

But I have to say, I am really liking SkySafari Pro 6 so far!!!!  waytogo.gif

Timm

• btschumy likes this

#49 otisw

otisw

Explorer 1

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

To move to card, simply go into control panel on the phone, find "APP" and click on the SS and select memory usage, and then change, Move to Card. Simple, works like a charm.

Unfortunately on my phone (Samsung S7 edge) it does not move OBB files, just the app itself which is pretty small.  The OBB file is 1.71 Gigabytes.

When you get a chance, please take a look in your Android/obb/com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro directory on the internal memory and see if it's still there.  I'd be interested to know if it's just my old 6.01 Android OS that's the problem.

Edited by otisw, 06 September 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#50 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

Unfortunately on my phone (Samsung S7 edge) it does not move OBB files, just the app itself which is pretty small.  The OBB file is 1.71 Gigabytes.

When you get a chance, please take a look in your Android/obb/com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro directory on the internal memory and see if it's still there.  I'd be interested to know if it's just my old 6.01 Android OS that's the problem.

You might be right.  Google "How do I move apps on Android 6?" and see if the resulting instructions work for you.

I'm on Android 8 on my Samsung S7 Edge and its easy to do now.  

EDITS - Wait, never mind, I see what you mean, the OBB file still sits on the internal location - I misunderstood what you were trying to do - ignore me.

Further Edits - I moved mine from internal to external and you are correct in that the OBB file still stays on the internal and takes up 1.71 Gigabytes, so basically the move did almost nothing.  I learned something new today, but I have to wonder if there is some critical reason that it doesn't move that file.  Performance, perhaps?

Edited by timmbottoni, 06 September 2018 - 03:40 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics