•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SKY SAFARI 6 ANDROID IS OUT!

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#51 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Still thinking about the cloud, mostly due to the clouds over BFSP right now.

With LiveSky will there be an API to insert and modify data, or is it only usable through the website? That would be a feature that might be worth a subscription.
  • timmbottoni likes this

#52 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

With SS work with any wifi on the scope or does it have to be their unit? Already have SkyWatchers Wifi unit.

#53 otisw

otisw

Explorer 1

• Loc: Leander, Texas

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:44 AM

You might be right.  Google "How do I move apps on Android 6?" and see if the resulting instructions work for you.

I'm on Android 8 on my Samsung S7 Edge and its easy to do now.  

EDITS - Wait, never mind, I see what you mean, the OBB file still sits on the internal location - I misunderstood what you were trying to do - ignore me.

Further Edits - I moved mine from internal to external and you are correct in that the OBB file still stays on the internal and takes up 1.71 Gigabytes, so basically the move did almost nothing.  I learned something new today, but I have to wonder if there is some critical reason that it doesn't move that file.  Performance, perhaps?

Bill clarified that this is a Google requirement over on the simulationcurriculum support forum.  One possible workaround is to create a symbolic link in the obb directory and point it to the file manually moved to the uSD card.  The phone likely needs to be rooted in order to do this.  So I just copied it over and when I run into space issues I delete the copy on the internal flash, do what I need to do, and copy it back to run SS6 Pro.  

Edited by otisw, 07 September 2018 - 12:44 AM.

#54 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

I installed SS6 Pro on my Android 8 device (Huawei Mate 9).
It works flawlessly and some rendering (e.g. Earth seen from ISS) is faster.
Well done !

But I yet found a weird thing: the Moon displayed in daylight is a *black* ball with a crescent, unless you magnify sufficently.
I could not find a setting to display the Moon currectly.

Moderators: Sometimes I got the message "Error This file was too big to upload". Does the forum software not automatically shrink the size to below 500K ? Most forums do.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20180907-163228.jpg

#55 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:07 AM

I tried out SS6 for the first time this morning, during a brief session to see the comet (21P/G-Z).  The install had gone really smoothly, transferring my settings from SS5 worked without a hitch (with a couple of exceptions noted below), and it communicated with my telescope (via SkyBT Bluetooth interface) without hesitation and worked perfectly.  So far, everything is working fine.

The one function that is important for me -- and which I have not tried yet -- is exporting observations from LiveSky in CSV format.  I do my planning and logging in Astroplanner, and SS5 saved observations in Skylist files I could just import into Astroplanner, but SS6 doesn't do this, so I am hopeful the CSV export will allow me to do the same thing.  We'll see.

Couple of comments in general about the upgrade.  First of all, I really like it, as I always have.  Second, I really don't mind the subscription service for LiveSky.  The amount of money is so small to be inconsequential, and it allows the developers (who have proven themselves OVER AND OVER again to be committed and responsive to their users) to support ongoing improvements to the product.  

A couple of settings didn't transfer over, so I had to redo them manually: (1) field of view circles (this took about 10 seconds to redo); and (2) designating the specific Bluetooth device for scope communication (which took about 3 seconds to redo).  No big deal.

One of the features of the new program I was excited about was "tilt to slew," and I tried it this morning but wasn't all that pleased with it.  It seemed like I had to move my tablet a lot to get it to register, and then when it did register, it wasn't easy to stop it.  I found the scope control by tilting to be much less precise than using the buttons on the screen, so I stopped using it.  I will play around with it some more, but perhaps Bill T can provide feedback on whether there is a setting to make this work better (I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, if that matters).

I have not tried the observation planning feature in LiveSky yet, but I am planning to at some point soon.

Anyway, I am happy so far with the update and glad I upgraded from SS5.  

Chris

• btschumy likes this

#56 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:26 PM

With SS work with any wifi on the scope or does it have to be their unit? Already have SkyWatchers Wifi unit.

Here's the latest information I've found on this. Read post #7 and the others.

https://www.cloudyni...t/#entry8811173

Bill, btschumy, says there working on it so I guess it will get worked out. It appears as though Sky-Watcher did this without even trying to provide for Sky Safari compatibility, so it'll take longer to get it together.

I think I've read reports where if you have two phones or maybe a phone and a tablet of the same sort there is a way to achieve compatibility right now, but can't remember exactly how it goes. Good luck with your Sky-Watcher WiFi, I'd like to hear more about them.

I use Sky-Watcher SynScan hand controller with SkyFi and Sky Safari and that works great.

Edited by outofsight, 07 September 2018 - 02:28 PM.

• Jeff Lee likes this

#57 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

I can only connect to my iOptron SmartEQ pro+ mount via wifi or Bluetooth, of which I have neither.
No way to use my serial cable.
Really?
That's one of the only reasons I bought it.

Tapatalk on SGS7

Edited by Myk Rian, 08 September 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#58 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:58 AM

You can utilize a RASPBERRY Pi B computer (approx $35) and some free software that enables it to connect to your mount via USB-to-Serial and to a tablet via WiFi running SkySafari.

Well worth the time, effort & investment. 

I can only connect to my iOptron SmartEQ pro+ mount via wifi or Bluetooth, of which I have neither.
No way to use my serial cable.
Really?
That's one of the only reasons I bought it.

Tapatalk on SGS7

#59 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

Bill is there a way on an unrooted phone to move the SS version 6 pro obb file to the uSD card?  It's a real problem with how much space it takes up.  I'm on a 32 GB Samsung S7 Edge with a 128 GB card and my internal memory is continually being hogged by apps that won't let you move them to external uSD.

We use Google Play's APK Extension mechanism to provide the large data file.  Google says in no uncertain terms to not move this file from where they install it.

That said, I have had a couple of people tell me they moved the large OBB file to an external SD card and replaced the original file with a symbolic link to the new location.  However, with each update I suspect Google will try to reinstall it where it belongs.

#60 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

No longer supports storing files on Google Drive? Forces you to use their "LiveSky" cloud, that I assume will become a subscription at some point when they decide they need more money from us.

Hmm, considering getting a refund.

Nope, as we say in the Storage settings in the app: "Backing data up to LiveSky Cloud Storage is always free".  We would be nuts to try charging for this.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#61 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Also, you are wrong. Your own LiveSky says you have to pay to edit equipment profiles or observing lists.

attachicon.gif skysafari.png

Sorry, but this is not wrong.  

You can always view and retrieve your data from that LiveSky server free of charge.  If you want to edit your data via the web interface, you need a premium subscription.  But this is a new feature that you were unable to do with Google Drive.  You can always edit your data from within the app as you have done with all previous versions.

• Jon Isaacs and Muddman97 like this

#62 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Is there a way to import a custom observing list?  Up until now I have been keeping a list in a Google Spreadsheet for items to observe and printing it out to use at the scope.     Is there a way I can import this into SS6? 

Even if there was a way to import just a text file with each object on a line that would be great.  I checked and don't see a way to do this.

Thanks
Dave

You would need to move your spreadsheet data into our .skylist format.  We cannot import from csv format.

#63 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Still thinking about the cloud, mostly due to the clouds over BFSP right now.

With LiveSky will there be an API to insert and modify data, or is it only usable through the website? That would be a feature that might be worth a subscription.

There is no current plan for an API that will allow other programs to modify the data.  It could happen in the future, but we haven't discussed it.

#64 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

We are working on providing native support for the SkyWatcher Wi-Fi unit.  Right not you have to connect through their own app, which is a somewhat clunky solution.  We hope to have native support in the next month or so.

• Muddman97 likes this

#65 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

A couple of settings didn't transfer over, so I had to redo them manually: (1) field of view circles (this took about 10 seconds to redo); and (2) designating the specific Bluetooth device for scope communication (which took about 3 seconds to redo).  No big deal.

One of the features of the new program I was excited about was "tilt to slew," and I tried it this morning but wasn't all that pleased with it.  It seemed like I had to move my tablet a lot to get it to register, and then when it did register, it wasn't easy to stop it.  I found the scope control by tilting to be much less precise than using the buttons on the screen, so I stopped using it.  I will play around with it some more, but perhaps Bill T can provide feedback on whether there is a setting to make this work better (I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, if that matters).

I have not tried the observation planning feature in LiveSky yet, but I am planning to at some point soon.

Chris

Chris,

The FOV indicators should transfer if you move over the Equipment.txt file from SS5.  We do not try to transfer the specific bluetooth device to connect to.  That information is not stored in the  files.

Give the "tilt to slew" some time to get used to.  People seem to really like it.  You have to tilt 15-20º from horizontal to begin motion.  Move it back to within 15-20º of horizontal to stop.

#66 tomwall

tomwall

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

I went searching for Pluto last night with my ASI224 camera and Meade ETX70mm. Imagine my surprise that I captured so many stars that my Sky Safari 5 Plus wasn't able to help me identify which tiny light was Pluto.

My question is, does SS6 have 25 million stars, as opposed to my current SS5 Plus with 2.5 million stars? That's a lot of stars and would justify an upgrade.

Thanks,

Tom,

Tucson

Edited by tomwall, 08 September 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#67 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

I'm sorry to keep harping on this but I'm still not sure about this Live sky bit. Especially after playing with it a while. I see some VERY serious privacy concerns with no way to opt out besides not using the service. Unless I'm missing something. Please let me know if I am but when you click the privacy settings under your account drop down in the upper right corner it just takes you to the subscription page.

My privacy concern is, as best I can tell, with each observation you log it's reported to Live Sky and posted to the "leader board" section of Live sky. If you go there you see a world view that shows blue dots that show the observations over the last 7 days. When you click those dots it brings up that observation report which includes the Long. and Latt. of the observation site and zooms in to a birds eye view satellite image of the observation location. Try it yourself, I'm clicking on dots and it's showing people's houses.... it's a little big brother kinda scary in my opinion. 

Edited by Sean Wood, 08 September 2018 - 02:51 PM.

• mikefulb likes this

#68 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

When I click the Privacy Settings tab under my username, it takes me to a Privacy Settings page and allows me to select/unselect the following three items:

1. Display my name to other users -  If checked, your first name and last initial may be shown on our Leaderboad and alongside other statistics visible only to other logged-in users.

2. Allow other users to email me -  If checked, your email address may be shown to other logged-in users who may be interested in contacting your about your observations.

3. Share my Home site with others -  If checked, your home site (including its latitude and longitude) may be shared with other users or alonside other statistics.

If you're not being taken to that page, then it sounds like there's an issue with either your account or web browser and might have to go to the Simulation Curriculum support page to work with them on.

• Sean Wood likes this

#69 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

I have a question about use of SS6 Pro with digital setting circles and encoders in pushto mode.  I have SS5 Pro and use wifi to connect to my Nexus DSC with encoders on my Discmounts DM6 altaz mount and use pushto mode on SS5 Pro.  The reticle whereever I point the scope comes up just fine on the screen of SS5 Pro, however it has always been choppy moving it across the screen making fine adjustments quite difficult when using pushto.  Can Simulation Curriculum or any users on here confirm if using pushto with an altaz mount and encoders connected to SS6 Pro on wifi is any smoother on the screen compared to SS5 Pro?  This will determine if I upgrade or not.  Thanks

Edited by jag32, 08 September 2018 - 09:19 PM.

#70 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:53 AM

HUGE issue with Skysafari 6 Pro location permission right off the bat.

I do not allow apps location access, and when starting 6 pro for the first time, it was near frozen, disallowing any access to the settings or anything else in the toolbar.

I enabled FakeGPS, picked that I was in Cuba today, and allowed 6 pro access to my GPS location on initial startup. Low and behold, no freezing, and I was able to access the settings for the program and manually pick my location. I then force quit the app, removed location permission, and it works fine now (2 minutes of quick use).

In Skysafari 5 Pro, this was not an issue whatsoever. I never had to enable location on initial download and setup to actually utilize the program, or set my observing place manually.

Just a heads up, if I did not have FakeGPS installed, it would have been a refund from Google play store.

Edited by bluesteel, 10 September 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#71 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Oklahoma

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

I went searching for Pluto last night with my ASI224 camera and Meade ETX70mm. Imagine my surprise that I captured so many stars that my Sky Safari 5 Plus wasn't able to help me identify which tiny light was Pluto.

My question is, does SS6 have 25 million stars, as opposed to my current SS5 Plus with 2.5 million stars? That's a lot of stars and would justify an upgrade.

Thanks,

Tom,

Tucson

SS6 Pro has a 100 million star catalog and 3 million galaxies.  

SS6+ has a 2.5 million star catalog and 32,000 dso's.

• tomwall likes this

#72 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

I downloaded 6 Pro the night before we left for the dark skies of the Navajo National monument.  No internet out the so I was able to explore 6 Pro in unencumbered bliss.

I am really liking it.. The searches are definitely faster and there are a number of new features that I'm liking. Here's a few of the many.

-  Limiting magnitude. No more zooming and having to reset the magnitudes.. I just set the DSOs to mag 15 and the that's deep enough as I display everything within reach of the 12.5 inch without overwhelming the screen.

- Double Stars: a nice upgrade. It now lists the separation and PA for more than just 2 components. It lists A-C etc. It's down below.

- Measure object: I much prefer the new method. It's much more readable and much more reliable. Before it was it and miss.

- Brightest Comets: This is just so great. No more having to search and/or  remember crazy names like 21P/Giacobini-Zinner. It's right now here.

These are a few of the things I am really liking. There's are few things I'd like to see, whether it means figuring out how to do it or changing it in the next version.

(The one I'll mention is the cross hairs. In 5, the cross hairs covered the field of the largest circle. In 6, they seem to be 2 degrees. Because of the way I use the cross hairs to align the finder with the chart, cross hairs that cover the finders entire field are helpful.)

Edit: Rob helped me figure that one out..  Problem solved,  see below. 

Jon

• btschumy and Muddman97 like this

#73 Muddman97

Muddman97

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Oklahoma

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

I was also pleasantly surprised by the double star catalog as well, Jon.

#74 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

Yes, it would be nice to have wireless gamepad control, much more accurate than tilt to slew...

I tried out SS6 for the first time this morning, during a brief session to see the comet (21P/G-Z).  The install had gone really smoothly, transferring my settings from SS5 worked without a hitch (with a couple of exceptions noted below), and it communicated with my telescope (via SkyBT Bluetooth interface) without hesitation and worked perfectly.  So far, everything is working fine.

The one function that is important for me -- and which I have not tried yet -- is exporting observations from LiveSky in CSV format.  I do my planning and logging in Astroplanner, and SS5 saved observations in Skylist files I could just import into Astroplanner, but SS6 doesn't do this, so I am hopeful the CSV export will allow me to do the same thing.  We'll see.

Couple of comments in general about the upgrade.  First of all, I really like it, as I always have.  Second, I really don't mind the subscription service for LiveSky.  The amount of money is so small to be inconsequential, and it allows the developers (who have proven themselves OVER AND OVER again to be committed and responsive to their users) to support ongoing improvements to the product.  

Chris

Edited by beammeup, 10 September 2018 - 02:35 PM.

#75 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

The one I'll mention is the cross hairs. In 5, the cross hairs covered the field of the largest circle. In 6, they seem to be 2 degrees. Because of the way I use the cross hairs to align the finder with the chart, cross hairs that cover the finders entire field are helpful.

Jon

I'm not getting that effect. Are you using the Telrad circles? I have the Telrad circles unchecked and instead used Observe--Scope Display and set the custom FOV indicator for 1.0 deg and 5.0 deg ("typical" eyepiece and the RACI), crosshairs on, and "Show even if not connected to telescope". It shows crosshairs running out to the 5.0 deg circle. If you are using the Telrad circles, you might try turning those off and going with the Custom FOV at 0.5, 2.0, and 4.0 degrees.

• Jon Isaacs and timmbottoni like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics