•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SKY SAFARI 6 ANDROID IS OUT!

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#151 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

Timm, what version BlueStacks are you running. Each version I've tried either never works very well or is shareware forcing a purchase while also pushing adware popups onto the computer.

#152 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

Just wondering if there is a way to change the name used for a FOV indicator.  My Orion finder shows up as 10x50 and could be confused with a pair of binoculars.  I think it would be clearer if I could call it something like 5° Finder.

#153 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

Just wondering if there is a way to change the name used for a FOV indicator. <snip>

Yes this would be nice, or at least a way to choose the color to differentiate  

#154 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

Just wondering if there is a way to change the name used for a FOV indicator.  My Orion finder shows up as 10x50 and could be confused with a pair of binoculars.  I think it would be clearer if I could call it something like 5° Finder.

The name is currently only configurable for custom equipment you have added.  If your finder was chosen from a list of pre-defined equipment, the name is not changeable (although we are working on allowing that).

You don't *have* to use the pre-built equipment.  Just create a custom finder with the same specs and give it whatever name you want.

• Jon Isaacs and Sean Wood like this

#155 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

The name is currently only configurable for custom equipment you have added.  If your finder was chosen from a list of pre-defined equipment, the name is not changeable (although we are working on allowing that).

You don't *have* to use the pre-built equipment.  Just create a custom finder with the same specs and give it whatever name you want.

I just want to say that I do like the feature of using pre-defined equipment to create the FOV indicators - it makes things a lot easier.  So, I look forward to seeing the ability to rename them.

#156 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Do you know if the other field values will be editable as well? I had to create a custom set of Binos because the pre-built equipment entry for the Celestron 25x100 Sky Master's didn't have a "true field of view" value entered.

#157 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

Everything is editable in a custom piece of equipment.  If the fov is incorrect in one of our entries, please post in our community forums and we will get it corrected.

Edited by btschumy, 04 October 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#158 tomb1

tomb1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oceanside, CA

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

I've been Sky Safari Pro 6 on Mac and IOS now for several months. Love it.  Recently I installed the Android version on my Windows 10 HP laptop under Bluestacks 4.  The first thing I discovered is that the Android version has no option to talk to my Celestron CGEM mount via USB as does the Mac version.  Silly me.  Next I tried using the Skyportal wi-fi dongle in direct mode as I have done to both a Macbook Pro and iPad mini. For some reason the Android version will not connect.  I know the Bluestacks can talk to the wi-fi because that's how I downloaded the Sky Safari app.  All I get are connection failure messages popping up.  The laptop wi-fi sees the "Celestron xx" network and is connected to it.  Anyone have this combination working?  What could I possibly be doing wrong?

#159 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:04 PM

I fell in love with SkySafari Pro on the desktop when I was still running Mac, and have missed it on Windows.  Well, yesterday I finally got around to downloading and installing Bluestacks 4 and SkySafari 6 Pro on my Dell desktop, and I couldn't be happier at the moment. 

I've used and tried probably every piece of astro software possible, except The Sky due to price.  Just gave up on Starry Night (for maybe the last time), as it still has too many bugs and was messing up and with my LiveSky files.  I have always loved SkyTools and used it happily for the last 10 years, but I've noticed lately that the database was starting to corrupt on me causing corrupt log date entries and lost files.  But now that I have SkySafari 6 Pro on my desktop I don't want any other planetarium/atlas software as this is all I ever really wanted; I really wish SimCurr would write a SkySafari Pro Windows like they do for Mac.  If there's any downsides to running in an Android emulator, it's that the resolution is not quite as good as it (Bluestacks 4) claims, being still just a bit rough on my 1920x1080 display; and also that the mouse functions are completely different than other astro software (scroll wheel moves screen up and down instead of zooming and I don't know how or if I can change it).

But so far, I've been more than happy with SkySafari 6 Pro on all my devices.

• btschumy likes this

#160 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:17 AM

I know the Bluestacks can talk to the wi-fi because that's how I downloaded the Sky Safari app.

The fact that Bluestacks itself can access wifi does not necessarily mean the SkySafari can connect through Bluestacks , it is an emulator and probably is not a full implementation of Android. 

Hopefully there is some issue that can be resolved.. 

Jon

• Steve Cox likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics