•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• Please log in to reply
665 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

I know some of you were wondering how the new AP Stowaway is coming along.  Roland had hints of it recently and today posted the following.  I don't think he would mind me posting here.

"It is proceeding. We have coated the first batch of lenses and are in the process of machining the mechanical parts of the telescopes. We will post some pictures when the tubes are being painted, and during the assembly and testing process. It will take a bit longer, but at least the optics are in the final stages and they are very nice.

Rolando"

Source  https://groups.yahoo...essageNum=77119

• Christopher Erickson, plyscope, areyoukiddingme and 2 others like this

#2 Swanny

Swanny

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

Great news! I wonder how they are going to handle ‘the list’. Based on sign up date/time? Drawing?

Edited by Swanny, 04 September 2018 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:17 PM

Any news about the price as well?

#4 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

Any news about the price as well?

Not yet.  So far the quote above in the OP is all we know.  If Roland has any more to say about it, I'll post that too.

• Traveler and jeremiah2229 like this

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:21 AM

Good news. Look forward to information on availability and pricing. 

#6 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Always Mr. Random at every airport...

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

Don't we all?

I find it a bit frustrating that Roland cannot come out and say "we are going to make a first batch of 100 (for example) and we will immediately notify the first 100 people that they made the list for the first batch".

At least some kind of notification. Or if one did not make the first list but AP website still accepted the registration before closing the list, an email stating that said person will not be in the first batch but is on the list for next batches.

After this mini rant, back to my scopes until (hopefully) I receive a notification if I am interested in the scope and willing to part with my $ ;)

• Scott in NC and Erik Bakker like this

#7 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:12 AM

I got in fairly quick but not holding my breath!

#8 The Mekon

The Mekon

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Bowral NSW Australia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:04 AM

What colour are the tubes going to be?

#9 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Always Mr. Random at every airport...

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:26 AM

I got in fairly quick but not holding my breath!

Same same!

What colour are the tubes going to be?

White according to their website and what they showed at NEAF.

• HARRISON SCOPES likes this

#10 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:32 AM

Don't we all?

I find it a bit frustrating that Roland cannot come out and say "we are going to make a first batch of 100 (for example) and we will immediately notify the first 100 people that they made the list for the first batch".

At least some kind of notification. Or if one did not make the first list but AP website still accepted the registration before closing the list, an email stating that said person will not be in the first batch but is on the list for next batches.

After this mini rant, back to my scopes until (hopefully) I receive a notification if I am interested in the scope and willing to part with my $ wink.gif

I don't think he can do this since he doesn't know how many scopes there will be until they are done. Even after the rejects, there may still be some question as to how many go to those on the list and how many go to others of his choice. For example, Company 7 will usually get an allotment. So it would seem that it would not be a good idea to send out notifications. Can you imagine the grief he would get if someone were notified and then it turned out he couldn't deliver. It would be a mess. Roland has no incentive to do this anyway. Why should he, it won't make any difference to him or his process. 

#11 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

I'm just curious but does anyone know/remember on what date A-P closed down the Stowaway notification list?  

I assume the list opened on April 18th coincident with NEAF?

#12 Heywood

Heywood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

I'm just curious but does anyone know/remember on what date A-P closed down the Stowaway notification list?  

I assume the list opened on April 18th coincident with NEAF?

The Stowaway notification list opened on April 17, 2018 -- the day I got on it -- and closed two or three days later, if I remember correctly.  I still have the e-mail, dated April 17, 2018, that I received from A-P confirming that my name was on the notification list.

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 05 September 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#13 etsleds

etsleds

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

I find it interesting the value proposition that Roland chose.

Versus the 19" long, 9 lbs Traveler that comes out about 12 lbs with rings and plate, the original f5 Stowaway was far shorter at 14" and lighter at 6.5 lbs. The f7 Stowaway muddied that a bit at 19" long.

The new Stowaway has better color correction in a 19.5", 7.1 lbs tube, which now seems a tradeoff of aperture versus color correction versus the Traveler.

Having passed recently when I got the call for a 130GTX after 7 years on the list (I had purchased a fine 130GT several years ago), I'd be excited just to receive a new AP scope and compare for myself. I have to look hard for any color in the Traveler, not sure if I'd be able to discern the difference.

Curious what drives interest for the rest of you, when Travelers are not too hard to obtain used and in good condition?

Edited by etsleds, 06 September 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#14 etsleds

etsleds

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

I got on the list April 20th around 6pm, probably one of the last :(

The Stowaway notification list opened on April 17, 2018 -- the day I got on it -- and closed two or three days later, if I remember correctly.  I still have the e-mail, dated April 17, 2018, that I received from A-P confirming that my name was on the notification list.

Heywood

#15 kmparsons

kmparsons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Let's see: I'm 66 now and if I got on the wait list I would probably have my Stowaway just in time for my 106th birthday! I wonder what big sky events are happening in 2058?!?!

Seriously, I notice that Astro Tech has a 92mm f/5.5 scope coming out. AT is not AP, of course, but I imagine it would be a fine scope--and available before stargazing days are over for many of us. 

#16 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

My list notification confirmation was returned to me April 17th at 4:59pm. 

Price will determine if I buy it or pass.

Dean

• SandyHouTex and Disciplus55 like this

#17 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

I got on the list April 20th around 6pm, probably one of the last frown.gif

I got on the list April 22 at 8:30 pm, and from what I remember it was open until at least the next day, maybe later. Don't remember exactly what day it closed.

etsleds: Curious what drives interest for the rest of you, when Travelers are not too hard to obtain used and in good condition?

The fact that it is a new Astro-Physics, that it is using a new glass for Roland, that it is air-spaced, and Roland's comments about Strehl goals and his repeating how good the optics will be ... and at 92mm, it is most likely going to be Astro-Physics-Inexpensive. Lots of reasons to get one.

#18 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

Just curious why no price listed yet? No other AP refractor was announced and then pricing information delayed so long. Heck, even the 160 was announced and pricing came out quickly even with the first run cell issues which delayed delivery. Yes, I was on that wait list too.

Edited by t.r., 05 September 2018 - 01:54 PM.

#19 Aleko

Aleko

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

I find it interesting the value proposition that Roland chose.

Versus the 19" long, 9 lbs Traveler that comes out about 11 lbs with rings and plate, the original f5 Stowaway was far shorter at 14" and lighter at 6.5 lbs. The f7 Stowaway muddied that a bit at 19" long.

The new Stowaway with better color correction in a 19.5", 7.1 lbs tube, which seems to be now just a tradeoff of aperture versus color correction versus the Traveler.

Having passed recently when I got the call for a 130GTX after 7 years on the list (I had purchased a fine 130GT several years ago), I'd be excited just to receive a new AP scope and compare for myself. I have to look hard for any color in the Traveler, not sure if I'd be able to discern the difference.

Curious what drives interest for the rest of you, when Travelers are not too hard to obtain used and in good condition?

Having a Traveler, my interest in the Stowaway has to do with ease of travel. Smaller form factor, lighter than my 12lb Traveler (with FT focuser), less demanding mount and tripod requirements. Not that the Traveler is difficult to travel with, but an extra 3 lbs (plus more mount) running through airports does make a difference.  (Think ATL or ORD).  Will be curious to see though whether I end up preferring the larger aperture or the more nimble scope.  

Alex

• Erik Bakker likes this

#20 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for replying everyone - I got my confirmation e-mail just after midnight on the 19th.  So, I figure it was probably pretty deep by then if the list opened on the 17th.  I did, however, get on the 140 list day after NEAF back in 2007 and that was successful (and if memory serves that was a smaller scope run - 40, maybe) ? Then again, the original Stowaway achieved "legendary" status so probably a lot more interest in this new offering than the 140 garnered.

Edited by Doug D., 05 September 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#21 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Having a Traveler, my interest in the Stowaway has to do with ease of travel. Smaller form factor, lighter than my 12lb Traveler (with FT focuser), less demanding mount and tripod requirements. Not that the Traveler is difficult to travel with, but an extra 3 lbs (plus more mount) running through airports does make a difference.  (Think ATL or ORD).  Will be curious to see though whether I end up preferring the larger aperture or the more nimble scope.  

Alex

I agree, I often find the Traveler surprisingly hefty, particularly with the replacement FT focuser - beautifully compact, however.  I can truly see airline travel with the Stowaway and a small checked-bag mount.

• lionel and Aleko like this

#22 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

It just may be the last scope he makes before retirement. It would be cool if he put a signature on it.

Edited by starcam, 05 September 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#23 Heywood

Heywood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Just curious why no price listed yet? No other AP refractor was announced and then pricing information delayed so long. Heck, even the 160 was announced and pricing came out quickly even with the first run cell issues which delayed delivery. Yes, I was on that wait list too.

Every day is a new day.

Two weeks ago, Roland announced that his new production run of 10" Mak-Casses would be finished in about a month, and yet notifications have not begun and no price has been announced.  Perhaps he is waiting until all the telescopes are completed before he begins notifications and sets a price???

Heywood

#24 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Soyuz

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

I just checked the A-P site, and their price list is currently under construction.

It would seem that they are revising their pricing, so that's probably why we aren't hearing anything.

In any case, if people are interested in the price, it can't hurt to call and ask. I'm not that bothered and happy to wait and find out if I make the cut. . . 

#25 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

My list notification confirmation was returned to me April 17th at 4:59pm. 

Price will determine if I buy it or pass.

Dean

Same with me.  If it's much over $2500 for a 3.6 inch telescope I will probably pass.  For reference the Tak Sky 90s were $2300 in 2000.  I might go to $3000.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 05 September 2018 - 03:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics