•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• Please log in to reply
665 replies to this topic

#651 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

I'll try to some astrophotgraphy with it, but mostly wanted a very portable small refractor for both astronomical and terrestrial use.

matt

#652 gjanke

gjanke

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

would I buy it if I had the chance? Absolutely yes, 

Me too!waytogo.gif

#653 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

I was recently invoiced for the remainder and the invoice noted December delivery.

matt

I just now checked with AP. They have not requested final payment from anyone yet. You might be seeing the snail-mail copy of the original first-half payment invoice.

George

#654 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

I wanted to post that someone else who wasn't yet notified, will be.  After serious thought and reflection on how much I might actually use this scope for how little observing I do these days, I called Paige and requested a cancellation.  I know I could get the scope and flip it to someone else if I decided not to keep it but in the spirit of what A-P's hopes are for new owners, I think it's better to just let it go to someone who's been waiting and really wants one.  I only observe for 20-30 minutes at a time these days and am strictly visual (and am now 68) so one more lucky person will be in the first group of owners.

Just a little FYI as I've been pretty active in this thread.

• Paul G, Joe Bergeron, Paul Hyndman and 17 others like this

#655 jay.i

jay.i

Vanguard

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

That's real cool of you, Chris. Thanks, from all wannabe Stowaway owners! grin.gif

• Paul Hyndman likes this

#656 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:09 PM

Nice Chris! waytogo.gif

It’s not easy to pass on an AP scope (been there, done that), but refreshing to think it will allow another astro geek the opportunity of ownership... hopefully a rabid user, not a flipper! shocked.gif

#657 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, not easy to do and it would be a **** shame if it went to a flipper but it's out of my hands.  I really hope the person who takes my place really, really wants one.  As I thought about it, I figured I might get 25-50 hours of total used based on my observing habits these past few years and $3500 would be a pretty high per hour cost.

#658 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Ok, so that's it. Put down my final payment. (Email says it starts shipping in November, but actually Daleen talked about December on the phone. Great either way.) I am holding off on the flattener until I pick a camera. I got it mainly for visual.

George

• Paul Hyndman, Paul Morow and jeremiah2229 like this

#659 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 05:56 PM

I received my final invoice today and was pleasantly surprised that AP is bringing back the original 7" sliding bar SB0800. The customer can choose between the SB0800 and a vixen style bar. The SB800 is predrilled for the TV Gibraltar and has worked well with my Traveler so the SB0800 will be my selection. Mounting concerns have been solved, thanks AP!

• Paul Hyndman, George9 and jeremiah2229 like this

#660 Jon555

Jon555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 PM

I received my final invoice today and was pleasantly surprised that AP is bringing back the original 7" sliding bar SB0800. The customer can choose between the SB0800 and a vixen style bar. The SB800 is predrilled for the TV Gibraltar and has worked well with my Traveler so the SB0800 will be my selection. Mounting concerns have been solved, thanks AP!

I just (as in about 90 mins ago) had to decide which sliding bar to have (there's a choice of two for those who don't know). I thought I'd go with the SB0800 (which they don't have  in stock) as I use a DOVE08, but a quick hunt around found two SB0800s still bubble-wrapped by AP, so I went with the Vixen option. I don't know if I'll use it, but seems like a good idea just in case (also it's in stock).

• George9 likes this

#661 Moondust

Moondust

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Got the long awaited email for request of remaining balance for the 92mm Stowaway. Scopes are supposed to go out week of Nov 19th to the very first people in line so maybe we will get some actual photos and first impressions on here very soon. Paige says my scope should be ready to ship late Nov or first part of December and it would have been sooner had I not waited 2 days before responding.  After waiting over 19 years for a Stowaway you would think these last few weeks would be a piece of cake, but it still seems like eternity. fingertap.gif 

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, George9 and 5 others like this

#662 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

I like being crass. Anyone mind sharing what these things cost?

#663 jay.i

jay.i

Vanguard

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

I like being crass. Anyone mind sharing what these things cost?

It's been known for a while now, $3490 for the scope, rings, dovetail, and Pelican Air 1525 w/ TrekPak dividers (which are like $150 by themselves I think). Pretty slick package.

Wait. You? Crass? Naaaaaaaah. wink.gif

Edited by jay.i, Yesterday, 11:40 PM.

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#664 Jon555

Jon555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 05:45 AM

Alas north of $4600 landed in the U.K. (with no extras), and that's assuming a good deal on the shipping ($200)...
(Say £3600.)

Edited by Jon555, Today, 05:47 AM.

#665 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted Today, 09:33 AM

I wanted to post that someone else who wasn't yet notified, will be.  After serious thought and reflection on how much I might actually use this scope for how little observing I do these days, I called Paige and requested a cancellation.  I know I could get the scope and flip it to someone else if I decided not to keep it but in the spirit of what A-P's hopes are for new owners, I think it's better to just let it go to someone who's been waiting and really wants one.  I only observe for 20-30 minutes at a time these days and am strictly visual (and am now 68) so one more lucky person will be in the first group of owners.

Just a little FYI as I've been pretty active in this thread.

:waytogo:

#666 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted Today, 06:50 PM

The world is as "fair" as we make it, and if you're happy when someone screws you over, there is something wrong with you.

Bitter, much?

this was the only honorable course of action.

ONLY

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics