•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1228 replies to this topic

#1076 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

Gorgeous pictures and scopes Gus. The new Stowaway looks quite stubby in your images.

To accommodate the larger 2.5"  Feather Touch focuser. Part of this look is because of the 2 different dew shields. If the shield that is on the original was on the new Stowaway and vice versa then it would entirely change this perception.

Edited by Moondust, 11 January 2019 - 04:16 PM.

#1077 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Gorgeous pictures and scopes Gus. The new Stowaway looks quite stubby in your images.

It's solid, Erik, very solid. Next to it the original looks svelte and minimalistic. But there is less than 0.3 kg weight difference between them. The original was made for the photography of that time, 35mm film and early CCD cameras, the new for today's large cameras and the difference in focusers reflects that (2.5" vs 2"). 

Marty at Company 7 described the new Stowaway as "refined" and I certainly agree, everything is elegantly done. Even down to the rings, on the original the rings are held together with four recessed hex head bolts, on the new beautifully made tapered knobs.

I wonder why the original Stowaway is longer? The focal length is 604mm compared to 612mm for the new Stowaway. If anything it should be the other way around. Something in the focuser or dewshied perhaps? The original didn't come with a 2" to 1 1/4 adapter?  Coatings look less pronounced than on the new scope. Could this have anything to do with oil vs air spacing? Are the coatings on the original also green? Your photo seems to show a hint of this. New version seems to have more baffles. Is there a noticeable weight difference? Assuming the original also has a dovetail bar attached. No one can complain about the font on the lens ring of the original grin.gif.Looking forward to a shootout between the two but I doubt any differences will be perceived at least visually, perhaps for imaging.    

Good question, probably the larger focuser. The original did come with the 2" to 1 1/4" adapter but I store it with the AP engraved desiccant cap in place (sadly no longer made). Reflections do appear more pronounced on the new, it has more effective coatings (0.2% vs 0.5% reflectivity) but four more air-glass surfaces, overall transmission greater than 97% for both so it is a wash. But the impression is almost no visible reflections in the original, what is there has a very slight purple tone, just like the other EDF scopes of that era. I didn't use a flash for the shot of the objectives so the baffles aren't obvious but the original is baffled all the way through the focuser draw tube to the back, couldn't fit any more into the scope.

You're right, no complaints about the font on the objective ring! lol.gif  I expect them to perform identically visually. The original Stowaway has the best optics I've ever seen in a scope, with a very close second to the TSA-102 and the APM/TMB 100/800.

Edit: For a tracking mount for the Stowaway I use the AP 400 GTO mount on the AP wood tripod with the Lapides spreader. Perfect combination.

Edited by Paul G, 11 January 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#1078 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

I suspect the new focuser has more travel than the older one, resulting in the slightly shorter overall length.

The older one has a retaining ring in front, no real lens cell, and thus no room for any engraving. Fortunately I have never forgotten what telescope it is.

#1079 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:01 AM

@ Gus: very nice pictures! Nice to see that the Gitzo is capable to carry the little A-P.

"For a tracking mount for the Stowaway I use the AP 400 GTO mount on the AP wood tripod with the Lapides spreader. Perfect combination."

Of course we would like to see that configuration in a picture  cool.gif

#1080 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

I replaced the knurled thumb screws used to secure the 2-1/2" to 2" Doveloc collar on my Stowaway to simplify  the tail end of the scope. I'm a visual only observer and will never remove this part while I own the scope and I'm happy with how clean this end of the scope is now. The correct item is a stainless steel 10-32 1/2" long  cone point set screw. I ordered these and a few other fasteners from Boltdepot.com, highly recommended.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_046950.jpg

#1081 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

Another picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_047050.jpg

#1082 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

I replaced the knurled thumb screws used to secure the 2-1/2" to 2" Doveloc collar on my Stowaway to simplify  the tail end of the scope. I'm a visual only observer and will never remove this part while I own the scope and I'm happy with how clean this end of the scope is now. The correct item is a stainless steel 10-32 1/2" long  cone point set screw. I ordered these and a few other fasteners from Boltdepot.com, highly recommended.

I strongly second Jeff's recommendation for Bolt Depot. 

Clear skies, Alan

#1083 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

I strongly second Jeff's recommendation for Bolt Depot. 

Clear skies, Alan

Here is the required item, paying a few dollars shipping is way easier than driving around town in search of the correct item.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_047240.jpg

#1084 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Either rides comfortably on a Universal Astronomics Unistar Light Deluxe. The scope is upside down only to avoid the handle bonking into the focuser knobs, easily solved by rotating the dovetail clamp 180 degrees and reversing the handle, everything lines up just fine without interference, I just hadn't done that yet when I took this pic. The mount is on a Gitzo 5 series cf tripod, extremely stable, also is just fine for visual on a Gitzo 3 series and even lighter.

Now that looks like the perfect grab and go combination!!!! 

#1085 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

@ Gus: very nice pictures! Nice to see that the Gitzo is capable to carry the little A-P.

"For a tracking mount for the Stowaway I use the AP 400 GTO mount on the AP wood tripod with the Lapides spreader. Perfect combination."

Of course we would like to see that configuration in a picture  cool.gif

Here it is, my wife says it's wearing its little black dress, cables not attached. The 400GTO fits in a Pelican 1550.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stowaway AP400GTO-3924.jpg
  • Stowaway AP400GTO-3917.jpg

#1086 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

Here is the required item, paying a few dollars shipping is way easier than driving around town in search of the correct item.

Looks like a great solution for us visual folks. McMaster-Carr has the same thing with softer tip inserts that won't mar, they carry both a nylon tip and a brass tip.

#1087 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:40 AM

We still don’t see any in the Classifieds.... lol.gif

#1088 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:41 AM

As always, there is a reason. This scope is a cloud magnet so first light is a nightmare situation with this scope :(

#1089 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

I got a call from Astro-Physics this morning. I was very early on the new list (maybe the first or close to it?) and they made it to me today because of earlier cancellations.

Deposit placed and shipping late January or sometime February. I didn't expect to be called in this run so this was a pleasant surprise!

#1090 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

I got a call from Astro-Physics this morning. 

Moshen Congrats!!!

#1091 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

This is my new grab and go rig. 92mm Stowaway mounted on Stellarvue M1V altaz mount with Davis and Sanford All Terrain pod. The tripod has a 35 pound weight rating and will easily handle that load. It weighs 7 lbs and the Stellarvue M1V mount weighs around 2.5 lb. The whole set up is very sturdy and light enough to grab in one trip. The tripod will open up extremely wide if you like with different adjustments and has both pointed or flat feet depending how you flip them. I originally bought the M1V mount for my AT 72 ED2 but was pleasantly surprised that I can use it with my Stowaway also thanks to very capable Davis and Sanford tripod. The tripod reminds me of a mini version of the Davis and Sanford tripod Questar used sell for the Q 3.5 of which I used to own. There is 500kb limit on photos so rather than post a bunch of tiny photos on one page I'll post one at a time.   

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_9229xx.jpg

#1092 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

Another shot different angle

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_9290x.jpg

#1093 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

A black and white showing entire tripod. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1501xxxx.jpg

#1094 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

Another angle

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_9254x.jpg

#1095 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

Close up

Attached Thumbnails

• nn.jpg

#1096 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Thats all folks!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1505xx.jpg

#1097 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

I didn't expect to be called in this run so this was a pleasant surprise!

Very pleasant, indeed, congratulations!

#1098 dbehrens02

dbehrens02

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Photos just don’t do this scope justice.  It is a masterpiece. Thank you Roland. #74

#1099 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:38 AM

I got a call from Astro-Physics this morning. I was very early on the new list (maybe the first or close to it?) and they made it to me today because of earlier cancellations.

Deposit placed and shipping late January or sometime February. I didn't expect to be called in this run so this was a pleasant surprise!

That’s good news Moshen. I put my name on the 92 list early PM pacific time on the first day. Hoping, but not expecting to get a call for the next run sometime this spring. If so, I will have a decision to make.

The best thing i have found about being on an AP list is that it gives me a good excuse for not buying anything until they call me, which might be never, potentially saving me a lot of money.

I put my name on the 105 list many years ago, but they haven’t made any more since then, saving me a lot of money. As an afterthought, put my name on the 130 list at the same time, but declined when I got the call a couple of years ago because it wasn’t suited to my current observing site, saving me a LOT of money. 

Wish TV, TAK, and AT would go to a list system. 

#1100 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

That is good news...On to the new list!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics