•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1228 replies to this topic

#1101 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

Happy to hear someone from the new list got a call!

#1102 paulh83

paulh83

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:10 AM

I don’t know how many more of these beauty shots I can take. Congratulations to all the happy owners!

#1103 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: GA/AZ/WI

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

I noticed a post on the Yahoo A-P Users Group that mentioned the Stowaway's FT focuser not being greaseless, but rather having a lubricant stickiness reminiscent of the older A-P focusers. Certainly not a deal breaker for me if/when I ever get "The Call". But not recalling it mentioned here, I was wondering if the lucky owners so far like or dislike the focuser, or have comments in regards to it?

Alex 

#1104 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

I noticed a post on the Yahoo A-P Users Group that mentioned the Stowaway's FT focuser not being greaseless, but rather having a lubricant stickiness reminiscent of the older A-P focusers. Certainly not a deal breaker for me if/when I ever get "The Call". But not recalling it mentioned here, I was wondering if the lucky owners so far like or dislike the focuser, or have comments in regards to it?

Alex

It's a normal 2.5" Feathertouch. Great focuser.

#1105 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

It's a normal 2.5" Feathertouch. Great focuser.

Do all FTF2535HDs have grease? I'm having a hard time finding any conclusive evidence on Google, and Starlight's website doesn't say, but I did find a post from dr. who, saying his AP155EDFS got upgraded to a greaseless FTF focuser. I know my 2" FTFs don't have grease, but they're Crayfords, not R&P.

Edit: Just emailed Wayne @ Starlight to ask.

Edited by jay.i, 16 January 2019 - 02:12 PM.

#1106 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

I have one here, where is this grease located. I can check.

#1107 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

I have one here, where is this grease located. I can check.

I'm not sure but possibly on the rack?

#1108 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

I just checked mine. If there is anything there its something very light. Pushing my finger into the rack there was no tackiness, stickness or residue and I didn't see any kind of goop between the grooves like on my two Astro- Tech  focusers. This is the smoothest and strongest focuser I have ever used, my scope or anyone elses. I love this focuser!!!  

Edited by Moondust, 16 January 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#1109 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

I just checked mine. If there is anything there its something very light. Pushing my finger into the rack there was no tackiness, stickness or residue and I didn't see any kind of goop between the grooves like on my two Astro- Tech focusers. This is the smoothest and strongest focuser I have ever used, my scope or anyone elses. I love this focuser!!!

My Nitecrawler is easily as smooth and stronger. FT is excellent and glad you like it.

#1110 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

confused1.gif

My Nitecrawler is easily as smooth and stronger. FT is excellent and glad you like it.

Ok confused1.gif .         I  bet my daddy can beat up your daddy. rockon.gif  

#1111 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

confused1.gif
Ok confused1.gif . I bet my daddy can beat up your daddy. rockon.gif

Lol!!! Mine is bigger than yours :). It is a school yard rumble!

#1112 dbehrens02

dbehrens02

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

42291D09 49F0 437B B26C 8541314E7401

#1113 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

Alex 

I like my both greaseless and greasy focusers. Greaseless rack and pinion generally means there is a teflon bearing in there, which I guess could wear over the decades. Whereas you can always regrease.

Anyway, I love the FT Stowaway focuser so far.

George

#1114 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

Wayne at Starlight came back with this:

"The only external grease we use is on the brass rack as we do use a clear lubricant on this.  We also do use grease inside the reduction assembly but not on the drawtube or anywhere else."

So they do use some lubricant on the rack it seems?

#1115 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

Alex 

That was me.  First, and foremost, I love the Stowaway and the Focuser is great.  No issues and absolutely no complaints.  I went to rotate the scope and my hand touched the underneath rack (straight bar with notched teeth) and I immediately felt a slight stickines on my hand.  This was reminiscent of the old AP focusers before Roland went greaseless and with a Fearhertouch pinion.  With the pinion on the larger AP focusers being Fearhertouch this is where MY confusion came into play.  He gives a great explanation on my Yahoo thread regarding the focuser.  It was not a complaint!  It was just a simple question because I was used to something else from him.

The rest of the focuser and draw tube are as dry and smooth as can be.  It was just the very bottom at the rack.

Edited by Bryguy, 16 January 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#1116 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: GA/AZ/WI

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

That was me.  First, and foremost, I love the Stowaway and the Focuser is great.  No issues and absolutely no complaints.  I went to rotate the scope and my hand touched the underneath rack (straight bar with notched teeth) and I immediately felt a slight stickines on my hand.  This was reminiscent of the old AP focusers before Roland went greaseless and with a Fearhertouch pinion.  With the pinion on the larger AP focusers being Fearhertouch this is where MY confusion came into play.  He gives a great explanation on my Yahoo thread regarding the focuser.  It was not a complaint!  It was just a simple question because I was used to something else from him.

The rest of the focuser and draw tube are as dry and smooth as can be.  It was just the very bottom at the rack.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, Roland went into excellent detail to explain the Stowaway focuser.  From your original post, I misunderstood and thought the grease was on the drawtube.  As much as I liked the original focuser on my Traveler, it was getting to be a nuisance, accidentally touching the greased focuser and then getting fingerprints all over the scope. I finally went with their newer greaseless FT. Turns out yours was a totally different, and minor, issue. Thanks for the info!

Alex

Edited by Aleko, 16 January 2019 - 10:24 PM.

#1117 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, Roland went into excellent detail to explain the Stowaway focuser.  From your original post, I misunderstood and thought the grease was on the drawtube.  As much as I liked the original focuser on my Traveler, it was getting to be a nuisance, accidentally touching the greased focuser and then getting fingerprints all over the scope. I finally went with their newer greaseless FT. Turns out yours was a totally different, and minor, issue. Thanks for the info!

Alex

After Rolands explanation,  instead of asking him more questions, I took the assumption that he went with the 2.5" focuser for the Stowaway instead of their in house AP 2.7" focuser to save weight and size to keep it a light and fully travel ready scope.  You definitely can't go wrong with a 100% Starlight Fearhertouch focuser.  And, Roland would never use anything that would tarnish his product or company reputation.

#1118 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

I prefer the focuser on my new Stowaway to the greaseless one on my Ap130gtx- it has a smoother feel as mentioned by Roland in the yahoo groups post.

#1119 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

Wayne at Starlight came back with this:

"The only external grease we use is on the brass rack as we do use a clear lubricant on this.  We also do use grease inside the reduction assembly but not on the drawtube or anywhere else."

So they do use some lubricant on the rack it seems?

A very tiny amount. This is likely just irrelevant.

#1120 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

Like I said if they are using something and they apparently are, it's very light, almost non existent. Certainly the smoothest focuser I have ever used and I've had some really good ones including AP's, Tele-vues and Moonlights.  

Edited by Moondust, 17 January 2019 - 02:42 AM.

#1121 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

I don't think anyone was saying it was a big deal or anything, we are just trying to figure out if the focuser does or doesn't use lubricant.

#1122 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Do all FTF2535HDs have grease? I'm having a hard time finding any conclusive evidence on Google, and Starlight's website doesn't say, but I did find a post from dr. who, saying his AP155EDFS got upgraded to a greaseless FTF focuser. I know my 2" FTFs don't have grease, but they're Crayfords, not R&P.

Edit: Just emailed Wayne @ Starlight to ask.

Just to clarify, Dr Who misspoke and did not upgrade to a FT focuser, he upgraded to the greaseless Astro-Physics focuser which has the little FT dual speed pinion and knobs. This was addressed later in that thread.

The Traveler and other early EDF scopes were shipped with an AP focuser that had a greased drawtube. It worked well, but one needed to be careful not to touch the exposed portion of the drawtube. The lubricant stayed in place and did its job. Later scopes featured the greaseless AP focuser with the FT dual speed pinion and this focuser was offered as an upgrade, took about 60 seconds to swap them out.

The very first few f4.9 Stowaways came with a greaseless focuser but there was a slight bit of image shift when focusing so AP sent out some of their damping grease (like Nye's damping grease) to apply to the drawtube, eliminating the image shift.

#1123 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

Just to clarify, Dr Who misspoke and did not upgrade to a FT focuser, he upgraded to the greaseless Astro-Physics focuser which has the little FT dual speed pinion and knobs. This was addressed later in that thread.

The Traveler and other early EDF scopes were shipped with an AP focuser that had a greased drawtube. It worked well, but one needed to be careful not to touch the exposed portion of the drawtube. The lubricant stayed in place and did its job. Later scopes featured the greaseless AP focuser with the FT dual speed pinion and this focuser was offered as an upgrade, took about 60 seconds to swap them out.

The very first few f4.9 Stowaways came with a greaseless focuser but there was a slight bit of image shift when focusing so AP sent out some of their damping grease (like Nye's damping grease) to apply to the drawtube, eliminating the image shift.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying Paul.

#1124 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

BTW please note my post here:
https://www.cloudyni...43#entry9065821
Which pre-dates grease-gate. 

"I also got some grease on my hand from somewhere, I guess the focuser, so have to be careful where that spreads to."

My feeling at the time was it was from the rack BTW.

Regards

Edited by Jon555, 19 January 2019 - 11:21 AM.

#1125 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

BTW please note my post here:
https://www.cloudyni...43#entry9065821
Which pre-dates grease-gate. 

"I also got some grease on my hand from somewhere, I guess the focuser, so have to be careful where that spreads to."

My feeling at the time was it was from the rack BTW.

Regards

Grease-gate, LOL! I could be mistaken but I believe your post was the first one mentioning anything about grease on the focuser and was the reason for people wondering aloud if all FTF R&Ps have grease on them. Put away the torches and pitchforks.. there was and is no commotion here. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics