•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1228 replies to this topic

#1126 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Put away the torches and pitchforks.. there was and is no commotion here. smile.gif

So what's to bicker about then to keep us busy over the weekend? Want to go back to that font thing?silly.gif

#1127 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

Grease-gate, LOL! I could be mistaken but I believe your post was the first one mentioning anything about grease on the focuser and was the reason for people wondering aloud if all FTF R&Ps have grease on them. Put away the torches and pitchforks.. there was and is no commotion here. smile.gif

Nobody had quoted me so I thought I'd mention it in case it was useful... I still like "grease-gate" tho...

Oh and re the comment above:
"A very tiny amount. This is likely just irrelevant."

I got a distinctly noticeable, but not huge, quantity of grease on my hand.

#1128 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

So what's to bicker about then to keep us busy over the weekend? Want to go back to that font thing?silly.gif

Don't get me started!!! lol.gif

#1129 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Looks like a great solution for us visual folks. McMaster-Carr has the same thing with softer tip inserts that won't mar, they carry both a nylon tip and a brass tip.

The aluminum adapter is soft enough that the brass-tip screw will actually mar it worse due to its sharp edges. And the steel screws mentioned before have a slightly different shape than the originals and will also leave a small mark. The supplied thumb screws leave the least mark, but even they leave a slight mark.

Remember this is just an AP adapter to a FT focuser, and the adapter can easily be replaced by AP. So it's fine by me. But if you want to keep the pristine condition, stick with the originals and don't move them around too much.

(The nylon ones won't mar unless their metal skirt hits the adapter. But I worry about how secure they would be.)

George

#1130 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:17 PM

The aluminum adapter is soft enough that the brass-tip screw will actually mar it worse due to its sharp edges. And the steel screws mentioned before have a slightly different shape than the originals and will also leave a small mark. The supplied thumb screws leave the least mark, but even they leave a slight mark.

Remember this is just an AP adapter to a FT focuser, and the adapter can easily be replaced by AP. So it's fine by me. But if you want to keep the pristine condition, stick with the originals and don't move them around too much.

(The nylon ones won't mar unless their metal skirt hits the adapter. But I worry about how secure they would be.)

George

The 90* cone tip set screw tips I used are identical to the tips on the original thumb screws AP provides. I checked in with AP to verify the thread diameter and tip style prior to ordering from Bolt Depot. I installed the set screws, tightened them down and don’t plan on touching anything under my ownership. 

Edited by Jeff Gardner, 19 January 2019 - 10:55 PM.

#1131 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

The 90* cone tip set screw tips I used are identical to the tips on the original thumb screws AP provides. I checked in with AP to verify the thread diameter and tip style prior to ordering from Bolt Depot. I installed the set screws, tightened them down and don’t plan on touching anything under my ownership. 

I also used the same Bolt Depot screws (same part number) on my Stowaway. The angle is right but the thread starts earlier and catches the lip of the adapter. If you disassemble and and look at the adapter, you may see tiny nicks on the edge of its lip. The originals just leave an impression on the adapter and don't remove the anodizing. The brass ones nick the adapter in the middle of the surface. And I was careful not to over tighten: I did not even use the full force of the short end of the Allen wrench but kept my fingers on the shaft.

Ultimately you have to decide if you work for the telescope or if the telescope works for you. And again, this is not a telescope but just an adaptor. So I can recommend the Bolt Depot screws as effective, and I am using them, but others should not be surprised if they nick the anodizing in the process. I guess you could file the shoulders of the screws, but at a certain point is it time to go outside. Also to your defense, these are "AP-recommended" screws, in the sense that this is what Roland himself recommended.

George

#1132 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

NEWS FLASH !   Ed Tings review of the new Stowaway is up at Scopereviews.com. 

#1133 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

NEWS FLASH !   Ed Tings review of the new Stowaway is up at Scopereviews.com. 

http://scopereviews.com/page1ar.html

#1134 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

I noted in the review the 2000 Stowaway is referred to as f/7 just as it is engraved on the focuser when in actuality it is f6.6 604mm compared to the 2018 Stowaway which f/6.65  612mm.     

#1135 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I noted in the review the 2000 Stowaway is referred to as f/7 just as it is engraved on the focuser when in actuality it is f6.6 604mm compared to the 2018 Stowaway which f/6.65  612mm.     

Right. AP called the original Stowaway a 90mm f/5 even though it was 92mm f/4.9, and the 90mm f/7 is actually 92mm f/6.6. I believe the original design called for 90mm of aperture, but Roland was able to use 2 extra mm of clear aperture? Something like that. 

Edited by jay.i, 20 January 2019 - 10:01 PM.

#1136 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

After “Old Dan’s” comment, I wonder how many jumped up and placed an order with AP for that bracket?! 😜

#1137 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

IMO the older  F7 (F6.6) Stowaway  Lunar pics appear sharper (he mentions no difference at the eyepiece however).

#1138 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

IMO the older  F7 (F6.6) Stowaway  Lunar pics appear sharper (he mentions no difference at the eyepiece however).

To my eyes in the first set the older Stowaway lunar shot does looks sharper but in the second set taken on the following night, the new Stowaway shot looks sharper. In both sets however the new Stowaway shots look to have better contrast. Keep in mind these are very small files and we would really need to see the originals. Also as Ed says in his review even though the shots were taken right after one another seeing can change from minute to minute. Two really nice scopes.

#1139 Paul Morow

Paul Morow

Mariner 2

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

The December 17th Moon image appears sharper with the old Stowaway, but the December 18th Moon image appears sharper with the new Stowaway.

Must be the seeing conditions or just off fine focus.

#1140 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Bruce

#1141 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

To my eyes in the first set the older Stowaway lunar shot does looks sharper but in the second set taken on the following night, the new Stowaway shot looks sharper. In both sets however the new Stowaway shots look to have better contrast. Keep in mind these are very small files and we would really need to see the originals. Also as Ed says in his review even though the shots were taken right after one another seeing can change from minute to minute. Two really nice scopes.

I can't help but feel that the Stowaway's lunar shots are over processed. I liked the more natural views from the Meade and the Sky90.

If Ed Ting says the processing is the same I believe him, I just think that it's not a testament of contrast/quality of optics difference.

#1142 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

The December 17th Moon image appears sharper with the old Stowaway, but the December 18th Moon image appears sharper with the new Stowaway.

Must be the seeing conditions or just off fine focus.

This was my thoughts too....

#1143 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

I'm looking forward to warmer weather (this was -8F, -22C) and also looking forward to a better perched Eagle without so many distraction branches around. But, here it is, the first bird with my new 92mm Stowaway. As frequently happens in temps like this, the seeing even at close distances (this Eagle was maybe 70 ft away) is positively brutal. As Springtime comes along and the temperatures get more sensible I think I'll be able to get some ridiculously sharp birds with this scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0323-Edit.jpg

Edited by Mike Clemens, 20 January 2019 - 09:36 PM.

#1144 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

I'm looking forward to warmer weather (this was -8F, -22C) and also looking forward to a better perched Eagle without so many distraction branches around. But, here it is, the first bird with my new 92mm Stowaway. As frequently happens in temps like this, the seeing even at close distances (this Eagle was maybe 70 ft away) is positively brutal. As Springtime comes along and the temperatures get more sensible I think I'll be able to get some ridiculously sharp birds with this scope.

Beautiful color and contrast. Sharpness not there, I assume seeing is the culprit. I won't take my Stowaway outside if it's below 40F so I'm sure -8F was a real treat for both you and the scope .

#1145 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

Beautiful color and contrast. Sharpness not there, I assume seeing is the culprit. I won't take my Stowaway outside if it's below 40F so I'm sure -8F was a real treat for both you and the scope .

Definitely seeing related issues. With the RAW files you can see it in the 1:1 sized specular reflection of the Sun in the birds eye, as you move through exposures it swims like a star does "down in the soup".

The color indeed is fantastic. As good as anything I have seen.

#1146 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:21 AM

I'm a visual only observer and will never remove this part while I own the scope and I'm happy with how clean this end of the scope is now.

I had the Stowaway out for the first time for public viewing for the eclipse. Beautiful views. About 30-50 people came out in 13 degree F weather. Best was the 31 Nagler with nice framing. Nice iPhone shots with an 8 Ethos.

I have to say that using the set screws really made a difference. Yes the look, but also you no longer hesitate to find the right screw to loosen. You don't have to look or feel if it is the big one or the small one.

George

#1147 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:48 AM

The newer stowaway had too much sharpening applied, maybe it didn't need sharpening as the others.

#1148 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

I had lots of fun with the Stowaway on the lunar eclipse this morning. Lovely visual views (when the clouds got out of the way). Forecast in the UK was dodgy so I’m pleased made the effort to get up at 4.30am to see it given the next UK one won’t be for another 11 years.

Quick phone pic attached through my 21mm Ethos. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 54F38123-2AE0-4BC8-8209-3F527325DAE5.jpeg

Edited by Gavster, 21 January 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#1149 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:21 AM

Gavster, you are stabbing me in the heart for the second time!

Again, we were clouded over and again, Britain has bested Cyprus with better weather!

Nice shot BTW!

#1150 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

I had the Stowaway out for the first time for public viewing for the eclipse. Beautiful views. About 30-50 people came out in 13 degree F weather. Best was the 31 Nagler with nice framing. Nice iPhone shots with an 8 Ethos.

I have to say that using the set screws really made a difference. Yes the look, but also you no longer hesitate to find the right screw to loosen. You don't have to look or feel if it is the big one or the small one.

George

Glad it worked out for you, both the set screws and the eclipse!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics