•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1228 replies to this topic

#1176 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

Jay, I have a Baader Markv and both a t2 prism and t2 mirror. I will

have a test with my 24mm pans in due course.

Excellent, thank you Gavin!

One nice thing about refractorholics is they tend to have other nice gear too. winky.gif

#1177 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Hey....... that actually makes sense....! Thanks Erik!

My 21E still blows my mind when I use it for terrestrial spotting. It just fills your entire vision, and then some. It's amazing!!

I did some more 31N5 and 21E testing tonight on the night sky. I highly recommend both. I do see some FC at the edges if you look for it, more in the 21E than the 31N5. The latter had very little.

I am usually highly annoyed by FC, and yet this is far enough outside the normal FOV that I would decide what eyepiece to bring--31N5 or 21E--solely on magnification and TFOV and not on FC.

George

Edited by George9, 29 January 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#1178 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

My $25 Timex shows the time, as does my phone, my iPad, my laptop, my stove, my car, my cable box, and my microwave.

Never understood the draw or need for expensive watches. The correct time is widely available.

Essentially perfect telescopic views are not nearly as common.

So, yes, I agree - it's an odd comparison.

Clear skies, Alan

It’s the same as jewelry. Is a Rolex needed for time? Absolutely not, most people I know don’t even set theirs. A Rolex is jewelry and it’s also a certified chronometer so they are very accurate. I own two datejusts and they are equally exceptional. I would like to refute one poster here who said a Rolex is put together by machines. That’s absolutely untrue. They are hand made and hand assembled and it takes a full year to make one Rolex watch. So that pretty much sums it up. I personally feel they make the best watches in the world. As for the AP, 6000 is a hell of a price for a 3.7 inch scope but if you view the brand like Rolex, then it’s worth whatever you’re willing to pay for it. I paid 8500 cash each for my rolexes and they are worth every penny to me.

Edited by kreasonos, 29 January 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#1179 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

It’s the same as jewelry. Is a Rolex needed for time? Absolutely not, most people I know don’t even set theirs. A Rolex is jewelry and it’s also a certified chronometer so they are very accurate. I own two datejusts and they are equally exceptional. I would like to refute one poster here who said a Rolex is put together by machines. That’s absolutely untrue. They are hand made and hand assembled and it takes a full year to make one Rolex watch. So that pretty much sums it up. I personally feel they make the best watches in the world. As for the AP, 6000 is a hell of a price for a 3.7 inch scope but if you view the brand like Rolex, then it’s worth whatever you’re willing to pay for it. I paid 8500 cash each for my rolexes and they are worth every penny to me.

Suddenly the AT92 thread has gotten much more interesting than this one. People are even using that scope and proudly posting images of it and images they have taken through it. No Rolex rehashing bs to sift through either.

#1180 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Are we really circling back to this Rolex crap again?

#1181 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

Just like clockwork.... sorry.

#1182 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

It's a luxury brand analogy that some people can relate to. No need to focus on it! Luxury item validation/justification is something refractor owners do a lot, so it's not surprising to see it again in this thread.

Even if I had a Stowaway I wouldn't be able to post much in here - it's -10F here with windchills down to -30F! Just trying to stay warm... so I'm not too surprised to not see many reports from owners. I wouldn't risk taking it outside in this cold weather - my guess is the owners won't either! lol.gif

#1183 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Did you mean to type 1.25(x) or .25, as in 0.25(x)?

Yes, thanks for the catch.

Saturday night was the only clear night but I didn't get to try out the MkV with it because my wife and I went to a dance party and got home very late, very tired and it was cold and windy out. I signed us up for ballroom dance classes almost a year ago and we've now been taking them at least once a week since. We'll never be able to dance as smoothly as Roland and Marj when they're not making scopes, but it's a lot of fun and we've met some really nice people.

#1184 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

My adventures in "luxury" items was limited to a VW Bug with a sun roof. Cold rainwater leaked on you, your hands got frostbitten while you ankles got toasted with carbon monoxide laden air, and it leaked exactly 0.5 quarts of oil and burned the other half per week. It did all those things PERFECTLY.

#1185 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Sorry didn’t mean to revive this over the comparison but I was just responding to prior posts where they had already brought up the comparison.

#1186 dbehrens02

dbehrens02

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

Deleted my previous post (rant). Rolex verses AP 92 or any AP scope is not a valid comparison. 

#1187 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

A couple more observing reports.

Out last night at 4F and this morning at -8F. Last night it equilibrated well with a nice star test after cooling. Nice views of the Gemini and Auriga clusters and M42 and M45. Rigel was a pretty and obvious double.

This morning, Moon, Venus, and Jupiter were low with mediocre seeing, and really not enough time for the scope to cool before sunrise. Venus was a nice half disc, more or less. Moon looked good. Jupiter surprised me. The two main bands were easy, the more northern band had a bump on it, and I could see another band toward the opposite pole. Seemed pretty good given the conditions, and the scope didn't seem to need to cool much to perform well. That was a 75F drop, and yes I was worried about damage but went anyway.

(Got to try out my new astronomy parka from FeatheredFriends. Cost less than an Ethos, and way cheaper than that current fashionable brand. Pretty much lets you lay in the snow below 0 using binoculars. A T shirt and thin fleece shirt, and you can observe at -10F indefinitely, assuming you cover your legs, etc. DON'T get their warmest; it is ridiculous unless you plan to observe at -50F.  Get the second warmest.)

George

#1188 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

Last night got to try the Trapezium with the scope cooled down using the 3.5mm Delos. I had forgotten where the dim stars are so I spent two nights looking for dim stars before looking up their positions. Star E was seen both nights and was the most obvious. F was seen around the correct star, but I saw something both where it was and exactly 180 degrees opposite for some reason. So I wouldn't call F yet but definitely E. I would need a tracking mount, a chair, and possibly a little higher magnification.

(Also looked at the Beehive, which was the first DSO I recognized in my 60mm Tasco many years ago.)

This morning I saw Jupiter with the scope cooled down, but of course Jupiter was still low. The two bands, without other band detail. But I could see subtle differences in color at the southern pole region and also between the two main bands compared to the rest of the surface. (Still down at -3F.)

George

#1189 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reports George! You are brave bringing the little Stowaway out in those temps. I went out in -5F too but with a much less costly (and easier to replace) scope. It's nice to read some reports with the scope - I'm trying to get my 92mm fix from this and the AT92 thread, but that thread is all imaging talk right now! Thanks for not getting my hopes up and then letting me down. :)

#1190 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

My logic on the cold was this. It is not a $12,000 rarity like the f/5. If it is warm and near my house, I am taking out a 10" or an 18" Dob. Or pull out a bigger refractor. My 10" doesn't do well in the cold, and the 18" does fine except not in a snow bank. So the 92mm is great for quick looks and for trips where there is too much other gear to fit much astronomy stuff. (Say, a snow trip with snow shoes, etc.) It's going to see some temperature swings. The star test takes a little while to settle, but the in-focus view is quite excellent in 15 minutes despite big swings.

George

#1191 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

I have a question for anyone using it terrestrially, as I was thinking why not use it as a birding scope too. That is which erect image solution did you use? (Plus was it any good.) I have an old poro prism and a 1.25" Amici but no 2" solution. I was debating getting the Baader Astro Amici but it's really not cheap (£530). Also how did you get on with infinity focus? (Also it's not like the stars are showing up to be looked at... cloud central with bonus snow and rain.)

Edited by Jon555, 04 February 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#1192 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

I've used mine for birding for more than 20 years. I always use a standard star diagonal and currently use the 2-inch AP MaxBright. If you sit or stand behind the scope and look down into the eyepiece the view is erect but reversed. The reversed view has never bothered me. Indeed I tend to move my less-used dedicated birding scope the wrong way. 

If you want to read plane tail numbers or something similar, an erecting system would be desirable, but for birds I see little point. It's just more clutter for my case.

It is a superb birding and nature scope. There's nothing like watching a Pileated Woodpecker, almost filling the field, working on an oak, revealed in incredible detail, or enjoying a Common Loon preening in the Sun. 

Clear skies, Alan

#1193 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

I have a 2-inch AP MaxBright so I'll see how I get on, thanks.

#1194 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

I have a 2-inch AP MaxBright so I'll see how I get on, thanks.

Have fun! 

#1195 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Besides using it for astronomy, I also use my Stowaway for terrestrial/ birding, and just as Alan I use a standard star diagonal. I have never found that to be an issue. I do however find the f/6.65 Stowaway a bit large and heavy for such purposes and often find myself using my little AT 72 ED2 instead for that use just because it is much smaller and way lighter. Not all is good though. Even without taking color correction, color purity or resolution into account it lacks the wonderful contrast of the Stowaway by a large margin even though it uses fpl 53 glass and I am not sure why that is the case. My AT 102 f/7 ED on the other hand does not use top shelf glass like fpl 53 but just taking contrast into consideration it is much better in that regard than the AT 72 ED2 though falls short of the Stowaway. I always said Roland should come out with a small scope in the 70mm range with the same degree of quality as his other telescopes. You really don't need much aperture for such applications if the optics are superb. I know Roland despises CN for some reason or another but I somehow feel he has enough pride and vanity to still read it even though he seems to imply that he does not. So I will say this. "Mark me down on the list Roland."  flowerred.gif

Edited by Moondust, 04 February 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#1196 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

I've used mine for birding for more than 20 years. I always use a standard star diagonal and currently use the 2-inch AP MaxBright.

Same here.

#1197 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

I have a question for anyone using it terrestrially, as I was thinking why not use it as a birding scope too. That is which erect image solution did you use? (Plus was it any good.) I have an old poro prism and a 1.25" Amici but no 2" solution. I was debating getting the Baader Astro Amici but it's really not cheap (£530). Also how did you get on with infinity focus? (Also it's not like the stars are showing up to be looked at... cloud central with bonus snow and rain.)

90mm refractors are better used from a fixed location for birding. They are a bit large to haul around. That said, the terrestrial views through an ED refractor with 2" eyepieces can be pretty impressive. Even my simple system of a C80ED with basic 2" diagonal and a 28mm LET eyepiece provides an impressive 2.5° field of view. I suppose I could get a 2" Amici prism, but I never saw the need. I leave the scope set up on my upstairs balcony.

#1198 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

I use the Baader Amici with another scope and it works well, but as you say it’s expensive. 

#1199 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

I know Roland despises CN for some reason or another but I somehow feel he has enough pride and vanity to still read it even though he seems to imply that he does not. So I will say this. "Mark me down on the list Roland."  flowerred.gif

Despise is a strong word, but I understand what you mean.  Previously, I had a small interest in Mag1 Instruments (makers of the Portaball reflector) and most manufactures I have spoken with don't like CN for three reasons:  

(1)  Some/Most people who post use "handles" and not their real name.

(2)  The TOS that govern posts here make it very hard for vendors to respond directly to criticism whether fair or unfair.

(3)  There is a huge amount of misinformation that is bantered about that when left unchallenged becomes Gospel.  

--

Regards

Pau Leuba

#1200 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Despise is a strong word, but I understand what you mean. Previously, I had a small interest in Mag1 Instruments (makers of the Portaball reflector) and most manufactures I have spoken with don't like CN for three reasons:

(1) Some/Most people who post use "handles" and not their real name.

(2) The TOS that govern posts here make it very hard for vendors to respond directly to criticism whether fair or unfair.

(3) There is a huge amount of misinformation that is bantered about that when left unchallenged becomes Gospel.

--
Regards

Pau Leuba

I think that’s an issue with the internet in general. What do you get when anybody can hold the microphone?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics