•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New AP Stowaway is Coming Along

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1228 replies to this topic

#101 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

A better analogy would be artisan produced musical instruments. Numbers are limited by what the person can produce, people wait longer than the AP list, they cost more than a mass produced instrument, and the instruments appreciate due to scarcity and the hand of a master craftsman.

#102 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

Okay so if you put yourself on the list for the new Stowaway does that mean you can expect to get it in less than the 8 to 10 year wait for AP refractors? I wanted the Star 12 ED when they came out but they were too expensive for me at the time but seems like you could get one pretty quickly. Price wise, unless I'm mistaken, AP scopes don't seem out of line compared with other top refractor brands.

#103 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Okay so if you put yourself on the list for the new Stowaway does that mean you can expect to get it in less than the 8 to 10 year wait for AP refractors?

I can't imagine that the wait will be that long, especially since Roland Christen has said that there may be a second run of scopes in the spring, after the first run of 100 has been completed.

#104 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

I can't imagine that the wait will be that long, especially since Roland Christen has said that there may be a second run of scopes in the spring, after the first run of 100 has been completed.

I think you could probably have one by the end of the year even if you aren't on the list. With a 100 scopes or so, one or more people are likely to just flip the scope. Sure it will cost more, but you won't have to wait until next year for a possible second run. This is obviously just speculation, but it seems reasonable.

A case in point where the markup wasn't unreasonable:

• $7,650
    • 6/16/2017
    • AP 130 GTX NIB

Edited by daveCollins, 07 September 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#105 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

Since they closed the list closed so quickly, I would assume he already had a number in mind for how many he was going to make when the list opened.  When that number was reached, no more on the waiting list.

#106 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Since they closed the list closed so quickly, I would assume he already had a number in mind for how many he was going to make when the list opened.  When that number was reached, no more on the waiting list.

I was left with a slightly different impression. It seemed that the size of the list got way bigger than expected and since it was way beyond what was going to be made the list was closed. I cannot quote a source that says exactly this, but from reading Marj's comments, that is what I thought at the time.

I don't think we can assume the list was carefully watched and closed. For all we know, there were 500 people of the list by time it closed. Astro-Physics has worldwide appeal and not just those on Cloudy Nights.

Edit: By the way, Roland's initial comment was that he was going to make enough scopes for everyone. That's partly why I think the list got quite large unexpectedly and was closed due to its size. Any comments about the list size are obviously speculative since Astro-Physics never publishes list size.

Edited by daveCollins, 07 September 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#107 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

Agreed. Having one by the end of the year or shortly there after is a wonderful thought...especially because I was in the market for its size! 🙏

#108 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

My guess is $3495.00

#109 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:31 PM

My guess is $3495.00

About my limit for this scope.  

#110 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

My guess is $3495.00

I'd go for that price.  Unfortunately, my guess is that it's going to be much, much higher, in which case I'll end up having to pass. 

#111 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:54 AM

I have owned a couple of AP scopes but never a new one so this was a really nice opportunity.

I was a bit late but made the list, we will see. I did kind of hope it would be oil spaced as I hate the sensitivity of air spacing but at this size and by a top maker less of a concern

Edited by HARRISON SCOPES, 08 September 2018 - 02:55 AM.

#112 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:18 AM

I could never go over $2k for a sub 4" scope. Too many 4" used Taks i can buy around $2k.  I have a limit on what i will spend per inch.  Anything over 2k is pushing it.  If i can get a super good SW150 ED for around 2.5k i am fine with that. But i would never spend 8k+ for a 150TOA or any AP.

Edited by CHASLX200, 08 September 2018 - 05:18 AM.

#113 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

Chas,

It’s a buyers’ market. Many choices and we all choose according to our personal criteria.

All those who get the notification (and I hope I am one of them), will have to make their choice if they wish to purchase at whatever price AP finally settles on.

In the end, it’s as simple as that....

#114 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

Chas,

It’s a buyers’ market. Many choices and we all choose according to our personal criteria.

All those who get the notification (and I hope I am one of them), will have to make their choice if they wish to purchase at whatever price AP finally settles on.

In the end, it’s as simple as that....

Well it seems buying AP is bullet proof as people can resell for more than what they paid.  I seen crazy prices for a used Stowaway.

#115 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:27 AM

Which makes it maybe easier to digest whatever price tag it comes out the door with.

A relative comfort that one can use the scope and get their capital back later if they choose to pass the scope on...

#116 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

I was left with a slightly different impression. It seemed that the size of the list got way bigger than expected and since it was way beyond what was going to be made the list was closed. I cannot quote a source that says exactly this, but from reading Marj's comments, that is what I thought at the time.

I don't think we can assume the list was carefully watched and closed. For all we know, there were 500 people of the list by time it closed. Astro-Physics has worldwide appeal and not just those on Cloudy Nights.

Edit: By the way, Roland's initial comment was that he was going to make enough scopes for everyone. That's partly why I think the list got quite large unexpectedly and was closed due to its size. Any comments about the list size are obviously speculative since Astro-Physics never publishes list size.

I would argue that Roland seems to me to be an honorable man, and if he says he’ll make enough for everyone, I believe he will.  I also have no doubt they were actively keeping track of the numbers on the list.  Otherwise why would they have closed it so quickly?

#117 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

I would argue that Roland seems to me to be an honorable man, and if he says he’ll make enough for everyone, I believe he will.  I also have no doubt they were actively keeping track of the numbers on the list.  Otherwise why would they have closed it so quickly?

I bet the list blew up so quickly it had to be closed. The list has to be quite a bit larger than the number of scopes projected since some on the list aren't serious, some won't/can't pay the price, and some will have found something else that satisfies the itch in the interim. Nobody outside of AP knows how many will pass once it comes time to pay up and even for them it's an educated estimate. Half? Third? Two thirds?

#118 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

Bah to all of you, bah I say! I have the original Roland Christen Stowaway, The Brandon 94!

IMG_0555.JPG

Just trying to lighten things up a bit. I would love to have the one of these new Stowaways. I have known Roland since the late 80s and have owned 3 of his scopes. There's just something special about them. Don't like them or him? Then just move along. There are plenty of us out there that enjoy them. They just seem to get out of the way and show the sky the way it should be seen.

#119 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

I had two of the Traveler predecessor, the 4" f6 Christen Standard Triplets from the 80's.  What a great scope and a superb, bright telephoto, especially at F4 with the telecompressor.  

Sold both.

Dumb, really dumb.

Jeff

#120 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:07 AM

To my understanding he is using FCD100 glass for the objective. Which is way less expensive than say LZO or FPL53, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed it stays around 3k or better yet around 2500.

I didn't jump on the list till the 23rd, I think a day later or hours it was closed. It just seems that the objective is the most expensive part of the scope, and I'm sure he got a deal for 100 of them. I think he will

pass the deal along, indeed since he said a scope for everyone.

#121 kkt

kkt

Vanguard

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

I don't think he meant 'Maybe there will be people who would still like to buy Stowaways', I think he meant 'Maybe I'll still want to make Stowaways instead of GTXs or maybe I won't feel like making scopes that year'.

#122 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

I don't think price is much of his concern (maybe figuring out total labor hrs towards X amount of units, as he is still laboring), as no matter what cost (within reason) all his Travelers will be bought. And if too steep for one that passes, it will still sell to the next person. I do see people wanting to know though, because if someone is itching to buy now, they should be able to know if they should look elsewhere, instead of waiting to figure out they cant afford it.

#123 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

Back in the early 90s I had acquired a set of 20X120 Japanese Navy Ship binoculars. Took them to Astrofest in Kankakee, Illinois to try and sell them. Had something like $1500 on them. Roland came around and said he would really like them. We talked a bit and he went off to his table by the mess hall with Marj. I stopped by to talk to him and he said he'd give me one of his new Star 12EDs in a straight up trade for the binos. Marj told him that he was already way behind in his orders and the couldn't be jumping me ahead of others just to get the binos. Roland just looked at me an shrugged his shoulders. That was the end of that deal. I did eventually acquire a Star 12ED and stupidly sold it after a couple of years.

The point is that Roland kept the faith with the people in line and didn't react on a whim. Well mostly cuz Marj was there, but...........

#124 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

Great story, Don! :ubetcha:

#125 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:56 AM

To my understanding he is using FCD100 glass for the objective. Which is way less expensive than say LZO or FPL53, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed it stays around 3k or better yet around 2500.

I didn't jump on the list till the 23rd, I think a day later or hours it was closed. It just seems that the objective is the most expensive part of the scope, and I'm sure he got a deal for 100 of them. I think he will

pass the deal along, indeed since he said a scope for everyone.

I've seen that statement before here on CN but I don't recall anyone actually giving actual figures. I wonder if the difference is significant or not. The way it was posted here and in other threads it makes it sound like FCD100 is inexpensive, but for all we know FPL53 could have had a big price jump and FCD100, while less expensive than the new price of FPL53, could actually be more expensive than the last run of FPL53.

Anyone have any actual prices of glass blanks?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics