•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLARA (film, 2018)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

The Toronto International Film Festival will have the premiere of Clara. Short description: "An obsessive astronomer and his unconventional research partner probe their difficult pasts while searching for proof of the existence of life on distant planets, in this emotive sci-fi drama about the importance of making contact."

More at https://www.tiff.net/tiff/clara/; trailer at https://youtu.be/we3O4mRB_qE

Looking forward to seeing a movie with astronomy right in the centre and, bonus, the trailer had discussions about science, not reptilian aliens so I have high hopes.

• eros312, ShaulaB, AndrewXnn and 2 others like this

#2 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

Just watched the movie « Clara »  on the Air Canada, Montreal to Frankfurt flight, last night. This is a Canadian made film on the search for extra terrestrial life. I enjoyed it. It’s much better, in my humble opinion, than the 1997 film « Contact » based on the Carl Sagan novel and starring Jodie Foster.

No fancy special effects in Clara, unlike the ridiculous time travelling machine in Contact. But, an interesting use of current scientific tools like measuring light variations of a star to identify potential planets in transit around it. The movie also shows a hint of what scientists must go through to get telescope time, access to raw data and the competition between them to be first to discovery. I won’t divulge the end but the discovery the fictional astrophycisist eventually makes, I thought, was a clever use of those tools, even though I’m not convinced it would actually work. 

The human drama story behind the two main characters unfolds intelligently and is necessary to justify the reasons for the research aspects of the story and the decisions that guide Dr. Isaac Bruno, the tourmented, fictional research astrophycisist. Clara’s artistic and very sensitive character contrasts with Bruno’s, but the link between art, science and even faith, which she eventually shows him, will play a role in his work, just like, as Clara reminds him in one memorable scene, Isaac Newton may have been profoundly religious but it didn’t prevent him from doing some pretty significant science!

I recommend the film and hope it will gain more exposure than it currently has received. 

• dawziecat, RazvanUnderStars and rave3c0 like this

#3 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

I watched Clara a few nights ago. Enjoyed it very much. 

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

I watched Clara a few nights ago. Enjoyed it very much. 

Where is is available in Canada?

#5 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:08 PM

Where is it available in Canada?

Right now it’s available on many Air Canada flight entertainment systems so you have to board a plane to see it. But, good news, I just found this: http://playbackonlin...shermans-clara/. It will be distributed, at least, in the US starting in May 2019. 

#6 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: ON, Canada

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Where is is available in Canada?

I found it on Crave TV (Rogers).

Tonight on Crave4, at 11:00PM.

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

I found it on Crave TV (Rogers).

Tonight on Crave4, at 11:00PM.

Not sure If I have Crave?

I'll check it out, thanks!

#8 Wade J

Wade J

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Iowa

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

This movie will be released on DVD on July 9, 2019.

Wade

• RazvanUnderStars likes this

#9 Wade J

Wade J

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Iowa

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

I ordered this from Amazon on July 9th. Amazon back ordered it as it was out of stock. It was shipped today (July 11)

so they have it back in stock.

Wade

#10 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Vostok 1

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

I ordered this from Amazon on July 9th. Amazon back ordered it as it was out of stock. It was shipped today (July 11)

so they have it back in stock.

Wade

I ordered my copy from Walmart and it will be delivered today.  Will give my thoughts on it tomorrow.

#11 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Vostok 1

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

I ordered my copy from Walmart and it will be delivered today.  Will give my thoughts on it tomorrow.

I enjoyed it.  Has one of the best endings I've ever seen. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics