•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More Messiers through 60mm refractor

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

Small instruments are often underrated. I like your sketches very much.

#27 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:42 AM

After some brake I got a chance to observe under quite clear sky. Still from our light polluted backyard. Here is a quick sketch of M78. Not exactly through 60mm, I guess 63mm Telementor is close enough. NGC2071 was nothing more than a ghost, just at the edge of what I would call as observed. Anything fainter was just a wild guess or just feeling.

m78_20190222.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 23 February 2019 - 08:47 AM.

• paulsky, rerun, niteskystargazer and 5 others like this

#28 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Very nice collection,  well done. Raul

#29 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Raul,

I just added one more object to it tonight. Originally, I wanted to capture low power view (13x), however conditions were quite bad. Sky was bright at this power and the cluster looked quite dull. Therefore I switched to higher power. The view was more lovely, also because star colors. I noticed two orange starts in the cluster and the bright star SE of cluster (12 CMa) was bluish. Visibility of stars (not only faint) was quickly changing with time. I'm sure I'm missed quite a few stars because of it.

m41_20190223.jpg

BTW, I set up a page with all my Messier drawings

https://www.fzu.cz/~...es/Messier.html

Indeed, the plan is to sketch as many as I can. I'm not even in the middle, yet.

Edited by Sasa, 23 February 2019 - 06:06 PM.

• rerun, niteskystargazer, dUbeni and 5 others like this

#30 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:28 PM

Alexander,

Fine sketch of M 78, M41 and all those drawings of yours of the Messier catalogue objects you have completed.

Nice work.

Frank 

#31 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

Great Sketches!

#32 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

I reobserved M41 yesterday night through FOA60 last night. For holidays we went to mountains, we are staying in the village at altitude more than 1000m high. What a change! Cluster was rich and very lovely already at power of 13x. Especially colors stood out much more. There were definitely more red stars than those two!

Edited by Sasa, 25 February 2019 - 02:55 PM.

• Astrojensen and dUbeni like this

#33 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

And one more to the collection from yesterday

m50_20190305.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 06 March 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• Lewis Cason, Asbytec, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#34 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

Alexander,

Very nice sketch of M-50

Frank :)

#35 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:23 AM

There was an unexpected clearance yesterday night. Luckily, there is no problem to set up such a small telescope as FOA60 on a minute notice and although I was already quite tired I found enough strength to go out. This time, I spend 80 minutes on open cluster M48. I could not work on it more as clouds came in. Transparency was not the best, therefore instead of smaller power I settled down at 33x (16mm eyepiece). Still I draw originally intented full 2 degree field of view, larger than FOV of this orthoscopic eyepiece. Combination of large FOV and higher magnification is almost a killing one, at the end I draw 195 stars. I'm not sure, I will repeat the trick again.

M48 is fine cluster with many medium bright stars and quite a few pairs. The misty background is of shape of narrow triangle pointing NW. I noticed in the cluster clearly one orange star (bright star at SE edge) plus I suspected few more (which I did not put into the sketch as I was not sure at the eyepiece that they were really red)

m48_20190307_240px.jpg

Larger version is available at https://www.fzu.cz/~...48_20190307.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 08 March 2019 - 03:44 AM.

• paulsky, IVM, Astrojensen and 6 others like this

#36 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:49 AM

Incredible, Alexander. The sketch of M50 struck me deeply when I first saw it. The colors. M48 is once, too. 

#37 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

Incredible, Alexander. The sketch of M50 struck me deeply when I first saw it. The colors. M48 is once, too.

Thanks Norme. Of course, the colors are a little bit exaggerated. Even on those stars, on which I dared to put the color in the final sketch, I had to concentrate quite a lot to make sure of the observed color tone. Some fainter stars had colors too, usually one second they seemed to be bluish, another second reddish.

Edited by Sasa, 12 March 2019 - 12:38 AM.

• Rustler46 likes this

#38 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Of course, Alexander. Understand.

#39 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:29 AM

Hi Alexander,

I like your sketches, too. The details you've seen is quite awesome, especially of M76. The sketches of M31 & Co. are stunning.

One question: Are you putting star colors to the paper sketch or are they done in the digitalized version?

CS,

Robert

#40 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:37 AM

Hi Alexander,

I like your sketches, too. The details you've seen is quite awesome, especially of M76. The sketches of M31 & Co. are stunning.

One question: Are you putting star colors to the paper sketch or are they done in the digitalized version?

CS,

Robert

Thanks Robert, as I explained before, I'm trying to push myself and I record as well details at the edge of visibility. Surprisingly often they seem to be real (and many of them not). I take it as a part of fun.

As for star colors, I do it on computer only based on text remarks. Actually, stars on many sketches are made on computer (not only colors).

#41 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Last Messier from yesterday. The night was windy and the transparency was not that good. Here is rough sketch made directly at the eyepiece. I just adjusted the curves and colors in computer.

m37_20190401.jpg

I knew that M37 consists of many very faint stars so I decided to take out my larger 82mm refractor. At the end, it was counterproductive, as the night was quite windy and I had to wait many times at the eyepiece for the view to settle down. The whole sketch took me about one hour, after that I run out of patience. I think there were definitely more faint stars visible in the cluster. These were very difficult to localize at 42x, therefore I used for them 104x shortly. The brightest star in the center of M37 was definitely red and I think I saw two more red stars in the cluster.

• Special Ed, Jef De Wit, rerun and 6 others like this

#42 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

Alexander,

Very nice, You really do a great job on the star color here.

Frank :)

#43 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

Those sketches are really amazing!

#44 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

Alexander,

Fine sketch of M-37 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#45 organge

organge

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

I am amazed! Really nice Sasa. If you are willing and have time / when / can you please do a little in-detail process instructions and tools/software you use.

#46 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Hi Sasa, I really liked both versions, but the low power version of M67 is really funny because it's so real. lol.gif , the 150x version is a master piece bow.gif

thanx.gif

Bernardo

#47 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:12 AM

Somehoe I deleted the last post. Here it is again.

Still continuing with Messiers. Tonight it was another fine open cluster, M67. Sketch made directly at the eyepiece (to a printed field with brighter stars), then digitized and processed in computer. This small thumbnail has a feeling of low power view (I started at 23x)

th_m67_20190404.jpg

Larger version,

https://www.fzu.cz/~...67_20190404.jpg

corresponds more to high power views (I pushed the little telescope up to 150x to see and to localize more precisely fainter members of the cluster).
  • rerun, niteskystargazer and Anthony236J like this

#48 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

I am amazed! Really nice Sasa. If you are willing and have time / when / can you please do a little in-detail process instructions and tools/software you use.

Thanks, It is actually rather simple (compared the time and effort made for processing astro images). I just take photo with my digital camera of the sketch produced at the eyepiece. This may sound trivial, but it is not - there are usually some wrinkles and paper is a little bit bended here and there. This is hard to avoid when working in the dark. Here came my experience with astroimaging handy - if you want to pull faint nebulae from your images, you quickly find out that you have to fight sky background gradients. For this I still have in my computer an old trial version of PixInsight LE. If you are more careful with the paper (thicker papers would definitely improve the situation) and with the light when you digitize the sketch, then you may not need this step at all.

The rest is usual Adobe Photoshop Elements. You can invert the colors, then create B/W version of image (to get rid of artificial coloring). You can then adjust the levels so that image shows required brightness and contrast. To add star colors, I convert image back to color RGB type. I select a brush with appropriate size of star, select color, put very low opacity, just couple of percent, and then I add the color in small steps until I'm satisfied. Sometimes I also put a little bit dark blue tone to the background as well (Enhance->Adjust Color->Color Variations). Finally, I play a little bit with overall color saturation.

This can be done in 10 minutes, so I was able to this right after I packed the telescope.

Part of the trick how to produce "realistic" star fields is to select right size of the sketch and relative size of stars. I'm still experimenting with it. What I used in the last two sketches seems to produce pleasing results. In this case I printed the star field on half of A4 page (i.e. something like A5 size). Then for the faintest stars I used sharp B/2B pencil and I tried to made them as small as possible, just touching the paper to produce dots.

For star field I used Cartes du Ceil with appropriately selected threshold for stars. For 60mm, I set the limit around magnitude 9-10. It works fine and gives plenty of room for fainter stars (some stars that I recorded on M67 sketch are of 12.8 magnitude). Still, I confirm at the eyepiece the brightness and position of every printed star. There are errors in star catalogues, and of course I would not like to miss some possible discovery.

• dUbeni, Rustler46 and organge like this

#49 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

Alexander,

Hands down, you ate one of my favorite refractor observers along with Thomas Jensen and when he does it, Dave Gray.  More over I didn't miss the fact that you are formatting these s lot nicer.  Your work really deserves the extra effort.  Now it's really polished and refined.  I m liking it a lot.   

M37 is my favorite open cluster.   It's got almost globular-like richness but in a different way.  Then there's the red stars you nailed.  I've always felt this object got short shrift  , at anyrate, you do it justice here.  As I scan through these all you've posted , it's one great hit after another.  I like the haze of unresolved stars in M48 like ethereal smoke.  The colors in M50 are jewell like and the M78 region is well shown with 2071hovering ghostlike unto itself.

You never disappoint Alex.  Seriously.

Pete

#50 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Pete. Here is one more from tonight. This time a galaxy. I was sort of expecting noticing in 60mm FOA-60Q M105 companion, galaxy NGC3384. To my surprise, I saw in short moments another hazy elongated spot (I knew about the third galaxy in FOV, but I did not know about its exact location nor its orientation - I had with me just Pocket Sky Atlas). Position and PA agrees well with NGC3389. M105 and NGC3384 were showing stellar core, from time to time I was even unsure which of the two was M105 as sometimes NGC3384 seemed to be a little bit easier to notice.

m105_20190406.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 07 April 2019 - 05:57 AM.

• Jef De Wit, rerun, steve t and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics