•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 76 v Oracle

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I had a nice TV Oracle     Sold mine last winter  to get some funds together for 1990 Tak   fc-100    now recovered from that and other purchases    i wish I never sold the Oracle.  It was great   small   fine workmanship  cemented triplet.....great views    Televue mechanics smooth    travel friendly.....should have held onto it and sold a violin instead.  Meanwhile  as I try to save for a FS-128   I'd raid that savings account to divert to a TV Oracle in a new york minute

as to the TV 76    no slouch    and available   but  I would jump on an Oracle

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender (33).jpg
  • FullSizeRender (24).jpg

• Scott in NC, Mike W, Mr Onions and 5 others like this

#27 Castor

Castor

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:31 PM

I had a nice TV Oracle     Sold mine last winter  to get some funds together for 1990 Tak   fc-100    now recovered from that and other purchases    i wish I never sold the Oracle.  It was great   small   fine workmanship  cemented triplet.....great views    Televue mechanics smooth    travel friendly.....should have held onto it and sold a violin instead.  Meanwhile  as I try to save for a FS-128   I'd raid that savings account to divert to a TV Oracle in a new york minute

as to the TV 76    no slouch    and available   but  I would jump on an Oracle

Hi Defenderslideguitar,

I’m sorry that you miss your beautiful Oracle, I’d probably feel the same if I had to let go of one of my small TV scopes!   I know because that’s how I feel about not getting a TV-102 when I could buy one new, so I took action this time and got me a TV-76 to fill the role of the Pronto that I also wanted but never had, before it is too late - I love the compactness, looks, sharp optics and mechanical quality of these tough little scopes! love.gif

Thanks for sharing the nice pictures, especially the tastefully composed one of the Tele Vue Oracle at your dinner table worthy to be part of a Tele Vue ad at the back cover of a magazine –or even at the front! drool5.gif

Any chance that you could contact your Oracle buyer and try to convince him (her) to sell back?  question.gif 

Edited by Castor, 15 September 2018 - 09:39 PM.

• Mike W and Defenderslideguitar like this

#28 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

No the foam is just like the day I bought it.

I bought it in person right here in Newcastle upon Tyne, from Joe Osborne, of Osborne Optics { long since gone } as far as I know it was the first Oracle 3 in Europe, although I stand to be corrected.

Serial number 1308

That's a great looking setup there Auburn 80.

I bought my first TV eyepieces from Joe O. Ah nostalgia. He was a pleasure to buy from, who shared his enthusiasm. Those were the days you looked for retailers in AN adverts.  

Edited by 25585, 16 September 2018 - 03:23 PM.

• Mr Onions likes this

#29 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

I actualy first saw the Oracle 3 advert in "Astronomy" magazine from America.

I used to buy it at W H Smith every month.

I was informed that Tele Vue had only one European dealer at that time.

Naturally I though it would be situated in one of the big capitals of Europe.

What a surprise to find that it was situated just 10 minutes walk away in my own town.

He was a nice bloke indeed.

I used to work with Joe's brother on the local council.

• Castor and 25585 like this

#30 mtblodgett

mtblodgett

Sputnik

• Loc: La Habra and Whittier, Southern California

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

Craigslist add has one for sale at $800. Is that a good price.

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:52 AM

I think one can buy an 80mm FPL-53 with much better color correction for less.  The Oracle is a piece of history but as an observing instrument, it is pre-ED glass.  

Jon

• SteveG and Defenderslideguitar like this

#32 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

sure today's glass would be better

So is my Vixen 80mm fluorite

The Oracle is a piece of history   and the quality of the build  the mechanics  the look   is just wonderful

and the triple cemented  made it not cost effective to continue to produce   

But     agreed        if it is only about  CA    then sure  go with today's best glass

but I think the Oracle is for those who have more than one 80mm

#33 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

It could be. Depends on what is included. TV normally included a very nice case, 2"diagonal, 1.25" adapter, a single large tube ring and Plossl eyepiece. And of course, condition matters.

#34 mtblodgett

mtblodgett

Sputnik

• Loc: La Habra and Whittier, Southern California

Posted 25 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

I have a skywatcher 80 mm ed and an Orion Omni.  I agree, the new ed glass is great and you can't beat the price

#35 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

sure today's glass would be better

So is my Vixen 80mm fluorite

The Oracle is a piece of history   and the quality of the build  the mechanics  the look   is just wonderful

and the triple cemented  made it not cost effective to continue to produce   

But     agreed        if it is only about  CA    then sure  go with today's best glass

but I think the Oracle is for those who have more than one 80mm

I have several 80mm scopes and the $800 Oracle is a few miles from me.  If one wants a piece of history, maybe.  

But as a scope for observing the night sky, optically and mechanically, I'll take either of my two 80 mm FPL-53 doublets. For me, under the night sky, the collectability is irrelevant, it's about the view.

Jon

• Scott Beith, Defenderslideguitar and 25585 like this

#36 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:07 PM

I looked through an Oracle once, at TSP in the (very) early '90s, maybe '90 or '91. It was a daytime view and Uncle Al had a line of us waiting to look through it at something on a distant mountain. The view stuck in my memory. Despite the daytime seeing issues, etc., I had a somewhat indefinable impression of actually looking at the object, not an image of it. It was remarkably clear. A friend with me had the same independent impression. I'd be tempted to say it's now nostalgia talking, but we discussed our thoughts shortly thereafter and realized we had the same reaction. That was during the time that the Oracle was still featured in the magazine ads, and I was a new astronomer drooling over anything "above" what I owned (which the Oracle definitely was).

• Scott Beith, Mike W, Castor and 1 other like this

#37 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:51 AM

Some scopes don't just defy the laws of physics, they show just other aspects of those laws that are not often discussed. Especially in small scopes, that can help the images presented at the eyepiece, or image plane for that matter, to show things beyond their mere simple specs on paper.

I've seen perhaps a handful of scopes in my lifetime doing that. And cherish all of them. They all had superbly corrected and aligned optics to begin with. But in addition had something special going on beyond that. Their images remain edged in my memory. Surely others have seen similar outstanding performers. The Oracle that Uncle Al had with him at the TSP may very well have been one of them.

• Mike W, Castor, contrailmaker and 2 others like this

#38 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

Some scopes don't just defy the laws of physics, they show just other aspects of those laws that are not often discussed. Especially in small scopes, that can help the images presented at the eyepiece, or image plane for that matter, to show things beyond their mere simple specs on paper.

I've seen perhaps a handful of scopes in my lifetime doing that. And cherish all of them. They all had superbly corrected and aligned optics to begin with. But in addition had something special going on beyond that. Their images remain edged in my memory. Surely others have seen similar outstanding performers. The Oracle that Uncle Al had with him at the TSP may very well have been one of them.

Indeed.  

One image that is etched in my mind was the first time I compared my TeleVue Pronto with an ED-80 a friend loaned me. This was also a daytime view.  There was a palm tree nearby and it had a cluster of seeds visible.  In the Pronto, the seeds were mushy and unresolved at 70x and became mushier as I increased the magnification. 

In the ED-80, the seed pod was crisp and nicely resolved at 120x.  That view was a stunner.

Jon

• Scott Beith and greenjuice like this

#39 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

While I have to agree with some of the posts above on modern glass

there still is this attracion for the TV Oracle that I cannot dismiss

https://astromart.co...oracle-3-444628

Here's one now     and if I was not up to something big right now  I would follow up on this

B

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 26 December 2018 - 08:10 PM.

• Castor likes this

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:14 AM

While I have to agree with some of the posts above on modern glass

there still is this attracion for the TV Oracle that I cannot dismiss

I think you would find, mechanically the focuser is not up to today's standards and optically, it's not up to today's standards. If it is a cement triplet as reported, that's another ball of wax to worry about.  I have owned my share of classic scopes and for me, to be viable, they need to hold their own against my other scopes. Otherwise they are just a novelty and the novelty wears off soon enough. 

Jon

#41 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:50 AM

Indeed.  

One image that is etched in my mind was the first time I compared my TeleVue Pronto with an ED-80 a friend loaned me. This was also a daytime view.  There was a palm tree nearby and it had a cluster of seeds visible.  In the Pronto, the seeds were mushy and unresolved at 70x and became mushier as I increased the magnification. 

In the ED-80, the seed pod was crisp and nicely resolved at 120x.  That view was a stunner.

Jon

Yep

I must admit, first time my spanking new AT60ED appeared on my doorstep I aimed it out the window on a rainy day and dialed in the most amazing sight of rain dripping off a twig from 100 yards away.

It was crisp and clear and just made me go "wow" .

I must say, this little scope continues to kick even my TV85's butt to this day.

-M

#42 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

Yep

I must admit, first time my spanking new AT60ED appeared on my doorstep I aimed it out the window on a rainy day and dialed in the most amazing sight of rain dripping off a twig from 100 yards away.
It was crisp and clear and just made me go "wow" .
I must say, this little scope continues to kick even my TV85's butt to this day.

-M

An amazing scientific test of optics!

#43 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

Once upon a time Tele Vue made a 70mm triplet called the Oracle. Does anyone own one?

Never seen a TV Oracle, but would be interested to know how it's performance compares with the 76, (Pronto and 85).

I had a couple Oracles, one when it came out, one a couple years ago.  Colour correction is similar to the TV76, very hard to tell them apart, but I'd give the nod to the 76 by a tiny margin.  At least the one I compared.  Contrast, the Oracle is excellent because it is a cemented triplet, no airspaces.  Both tubes are well-blackened inside but the 76 is more portable.

• Castor likes this

#44 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

Great way to put it Erik. The experience I had earlier this year with my TV60 was as you describe. 

CM

• Castor, Defenderslideguitar and 25585 like this

#45 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

Anyone ever put one up against a Tak FC76 F8 Fluorite? I’ve never seen an Oracle in person but I can’t imagine it keeping up with my Tak which is the best 3” scope I have EVER looked thru.

• Defenderslideguitar and Steve Allison like this

#46 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

Anyone ever put one up against a Tak FC76 F8 Fluorite? I’ve never seen an Oracle in person but I can’t imagine it keeping up with my Tak which is the best 3” scope I have EVER looked thru.

I’ve had both scopes, but not at the same time.  I can’t say which is best, but I’d be glad to have either (or both) back in my inventory.

Gordon G

• Terra Nova likes this

#47 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well  I am not most experienced person to chime in but I do not think the Oracle keeps up with the Tak Fluorite   or even my Vixen 80mm Fluorite

Just  that the Oracle had something   that you cant define it but it had that something that you just wanted to keep it in your stable

Edited by nicknacknock, 02 January 2019 - 03:28 AM.

• Castor and Terra Nova like this

#48 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

Indeed.  

Jon

Optics are everything.  Then again chasing perfection is financially painful.  lol.gif

#49 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Well, because of this thread, I excavated my 35+ year old TV Oracle from my closet and set it up in DPAC.

I'll tell you what, in  green and yellow, the three lines were nice and straight with just a little bowing in red and blue, very similar to my Orion 80ED.  Wonderful spherical correction!

I'll try to post pictures if I remember.

• Erik Bakker and Castor like this

#50 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:57 AM

Well, because of this thread, I excavated my 35+ year old TV Oracle from my closet and set it up in DPAC.

I'll tell you what, in  green and yellow, the three lines were nice and straight with just a little bowing in red and blue, very similar to my Orion 80ED.  Wonderful spherical correction!

I'll try to post pictures if I remember.

Nice waytogo.gif

This may even seduce you to bring it from the DPAC out under the stars and enjoy once again what that little classic can do for you wink.gif

Enjoy!

• Castor and contrailmaker like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics