•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 76 v Oracle

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Volcanotop

Volcanotop

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

ive got the tv oracle like mr onions.   I think slightly younger with a serial 1287 and as of this weekend another TV-76 too.   Ill get some side by side comparison pictures loaded.

both fantastic scopes.

Edited by Volcanotop, 04 February 2019 - 10:40 AM.

• Mike W, Castor and 25585 like this

#52 Volcanotop

Volcanotop

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:07 AM

side by side oracle 76 #2
Album: Tv Oracle vs tv76
9 images
2 comments

bringing the thread back on track.    Here are the two scopes side by side.  A first edition TV oracle probably circa 1986 and a chrome draw tube tv76 which probably early 2000s and is certainly pre 2005.

The first thing id say is that the case for the Oracle is in my opinion the high point for Televue cases.  This is the version #1 Oracle with the screw in dew shield.   Version #2 with the sliding shield may have come in the soft case.  The modern soft cases are ok.    But i prefer a hard case.   And these Oracle cases seem better than some of the earlier ones (eg a Reneissance I have).

So as far as i'm aware...
Version 1 Oracle = Screw on dew shield, dull / satin finish to the black parts and Hard case.  chromed metal focus 'mag wheels'
Version 2 Oracle = sliding dew shield gloss finish to the black parts and soft case.  Black Plastic / Silver insert 'mag wheels'

The first version of the Oracle had a satin finish.   Even though its older than the tv-76 by probably circa 10 years it looks more like the current range of TV scopes.   The later version of the Oracle shares the same gloss finish to the black parts like the TV-76.

The clam shell on the Oracle doesnt have provision for a finder whilst the 76 does and is pictured with the tv red dot finder.   The screw on dew shield works fine but isnt as convenient as the sliding shield on the tv76.  Both clam shells have the standard tv threaded holes for the tv dovetail or other dovetails.

Both Oracle and 76 have the same style chrome draw tube and single speed rack and pinion. (Retro fit feathertouch 1:10 dual speed pinion units are available that essentially just replace the mag wheel part of the focuser and retain the name plate and serial etc).  The single speed on both is lovely and smooth.

Both Oracle and 76 have the great (but squeaky) screw on lense cap.

Both Oracle and 76 have great fit and finish and feel completely bomb proof.

They are both 3”/76mm the tv76 is a shorter scope with a faster F.

Both work well with the TRF2008 x0.8 reducer flattener and a dslr.  In the case of the 76 the trf-2008 gives approx an f5.

Optically the Oracle is a cemented triplet made pre ED glass. (Ive never seen any discussions about what glass it was -tv seem to keep tight lipped about such things) the tv76 is an air spaced doublet made with some sort of ed glass.

Ed Ting gave a nice review of the Oracle and 76 back in the day and had good words about both, favouring the 76.

Both I think give great views. 

The oracle is relatively scarce, the tv76 much more common.   A quick unscientific look at the last few sales here on cloudy night seems to suggest cost wise the oracle and chrome tube 76 are both in the 800-1000 dollar range. But as always condition is everything.

Edited by Volcanotop, 04 February 2019 - 12:42 PM.

• Mike W, Erik Bakker, Castor and 1 other like this

#53 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:03 AM

Took the Oracle over to Sue & Allen F. house and set up on back porch, threw a few of Allens  TV smoothies in and were presented with sharp images of branches against the background skies with no discernable color. Very nice! Will be a great companion to my TV102.waytogo.gif 

• alnitak22 and Terra Nova like this

#54 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Indeed.  

One image that is etched in my mind was the first time I compared my TeleVue Pronto with an ED-80 a friend loaned me. This was also a daytime view.  There was a palm tree nearby and it had a cluster of seeds visible.  In the Pronto, the seeds were mushy and unresolved at 70x and became mushier as I increased the magnification. 

In the ED-80, the seed pod was crisp and nicely resolved at 120x.  That view was a stunner.

Jon

I've owned a televue ranger that has the same optics as the pronto and I can tell you this Oracle is no pronto! We set it up on Allen F. back porch and looked at branches against the background sky and image was clear,  sharp, actually crisp and no discernable CA!

Allen, Sue and I are going to set up my Oracle, his Stowaway, and Sue's Traveler some night and do some comparo's. and see how the O. stacks up. Of course aperature will affect and probably help the O. to even things up as far as seeing goes.

• alnitak22 likes this

#55 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

I've owned a televue ranger that has the same optics as the pronto and I can tell you this Oracle is no pronto! We set it up on Allen F. back porch and looked at branches against the background sky and image was clear,  sharp, actually crisp and no discernable CA!

Allen, Sue and I are going to set up my Oracle, his Stowaway, and Sue's Traveler some night and do some comparo's. and see how the O. stacks up. Of course aperature will affect and probably help the O. to even things up as far as seeing goes.

I’ve had a Ranger for over 20 years and love the little guy. But it won’t hang with my TV85 as far as CA correction. It wouldn’t hang with a friend’s TV76 either, nor would I expect it to hang with the Oracle. 

• Castor and 25585 like this

#56 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Shame Pronto owners can't buy a 76 lens cel to upgrade to. 

• Castor likes this

#57 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Shame Pronto owners can't buy a 76 lens cel to upgrade to. 

They can, it's called a Televue 76!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jon Isaacs, alnitak22 and Terra Nova like this

#58 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hello old thread......

So after recovering from several purchases  I had the opportunity to buy back my old Oracle and I have it with me again

I'll keep it    although I am not short on 3 inch scopes ...i like it   and  looks cool hanging out next to a true gem of a scope

The awesome TV NP101  (talk about a keeper)   just thought I'd update and close this circle...

Attached Thumbnails

• Oracle 3IMG_2154.jpg
  • TV'S3IMG_4570.jpg
  • tvsIMG_4568.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 06 November 2019 - 08:20 PM.

• Erik Bakker, astro140, Castor and 5 others like this

#59 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Mariner 2

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

Got a kick out of the TV scopes posed on the billiard table! I like my Oracle as well. I need to use it more often, and will do so when I finally retire. 

• Castor and Defenderslideguitar like this

#60 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

They were neat scopes. Much better than the pronto according to what I've read. I had a Pronto and it is an achromat. A nice achromat though. I remember TV showed ads in the magazines and called it the 3" Dob. I also read that it was discontinued because the cemented triplet lens was difficult to produce to the standards that Tele Vue demanded.

Edited by Nippon, 06 November 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#61 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

Prontos are doublets. If I bought myself a 76mm, a TV would be had for the right price, so not new. 

An Oracle is definitely a keeper, just to have one! TV refractors are like Rolex oyster watches - to be kept for the next generation.

#62 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

Prontos are doublets. If I bought myself a 76mm, a TV would be had for the right price, so not new. 

An Oracle is definitely a keeper, just to have one! TV refractors are like Rolex oyster watches - to be kept for the next generation.

It was a little confusing, but I think the triplet comment was referring to the Oracle. 

Clear skies, Alan

• Castor likes this

#63 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

The Oracle was introduced in 1987.  I don't think ED glass was available at the time.. This must have been some sort of short flint type apo.  

Just saying... 

Jon

#64 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

Took the Oracle over to Sue & Allen F. house and set up on back porch, threw a few of Allens TV smoothies in and were presented with sharp images of branches against the background skies with no discernable color. Very nice! Will be a great companion to my TV102.waytogo.gif

I’m sure Alan would appreciate you spelling his first name correctly...or of course we could all start referring to him as Allen Wrench! 🤣

#65 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Jon

Yes  short  flint I think is correct...………...and  I would not argue with your view on modern glass being superior for what counts  ….. the views. I just wanted the Oracle back  and  yes history does influence me and it does perform well for me.

Now when you talk about 80mm size modern glass scopes     perhaps shorter ones for easy travel    you have my interest there as well. I wonder what folks would recommend for an 80mm ish travel friendly scope with modern glass optics ?

• Castor likes this

#66 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

Now when you talk about 80mm size modern glass scopes     perhaps shorter ones for easy travel    you have my interest there as well. I wonder what folks would recommend for an 80mm ish travel friendly scope with modern glass optics ?

I have an 80mm William Optics Megrez II FD that's my travel scope.  It's an F/7 FPL-53 doublet, nice and compact, good optics.  

6051962-Canyon de Chelley Francis.jpg

Jon

• Castor, bbqediguana and Defenderslideguitar like this

#67 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

Jon

Yes  short  flint I think is correct...………...and  I would not argue with your view on modern glass being superior for what counts  ….. the views. I just wanted the Oracle back  and  yes history does influence me and it does perform well for me.

Now when you talk about 80mm size modern glass scopes     perhaps shorter ones for easy travel    you have my interest there as well. I wonder what folks would recommend for an 80mm ish travel friendly scope with modern glass optics ?

The TV85 and TV76. I’ve traveled all over the US and Europe with my TV85. See the thread “Rediscovering my TV85 “ here on CN for good photographic evidence of what an excellent doublet can do.

#68 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

Jon

TV 85 is mine. I have an 80 Equinox & smaller 66 Equinox as well..

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#69 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

I’m sure Alan would appreciate you spelling his first name correctly...or of course we could all start referring to him as Allen Wrench! 🤣

Alan knows I would never call him a tool!tongue2.gif 

#70 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:50 PM

From experience I can say that the majority of people, when they hear the name, will spell it "Allen." It's clearly the default assumption. 

In reality Alan is the more common spelling. It was in the top 50 from 1946 to 1960, peaking at the 40th most popular name in 1951. It was in the top 100 from 1938 to 1971 but was at 172 in 2018.

Allen was at #421 in 2018 and never made it higher than 71 (1942, 49, 50) and was in the top 100 from 1971 to 1968.

Allen is a fairly common surname, and I assume that's why people tend toward spelling it that way.

Clear skies, Alan

Edited by Alan French, 07 November 2019 - 05:02 PM.

• Mike W, Castor, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#71 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Speaking of Al   and Tv scopes            Although  I have met and spoken with Mr. Nagler several times   and most recently at Stellafane this August       when I call him Mr. Nagler 

he always      says   " You can call me Al      like the song  "

I do regret not realizing later that night  that he was hanging out observing with Mike W. just 75 feet away from us

using Mike's TV 102

Attached Thumbnails

• StelafanecallmeALIMG_3717.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 November 2019 - 05:06 PM.

• Mike W and Castor like this

#72 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

From experience I can say that the majority of people, when they hear the name, will spell it "Allen." It's clearly the default assumption. 

In reality Alan is the more common spelling. It was in the top 50 from 1946 to 1960, peaking at the 40th most popular name in 1951. It was in the top 100 from 1938 to 1971 but was at 172 in 2018.

Allen was at #421 in 2018 and never made it higher than 71 (1942, 49, 50) and was in the top 100 from 1971 to 1968.

Allen is a fairly common surname, and I assume that's why people tend toward spelling it that way.

Clear skies, Alan

The things we learn on CN.....cool.gif

• Mike W and Defenderslideguitar like this

#73 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:38 PM

Speaking of Al   and Tv scopes            Although  I have met and spoken with Mr. Nagler several times   and most recently at Stellafane this August       when I call him Mr. Nagler 

he always      says   " You can call me Al      like the song  "

I do regret not realizing later that night  that he was hanging out observing with Mike W. just 75 feet away from us

using Mike's TV 102

Al there is short for Albert, of course. :) 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics