•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy mounts

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 David P

David P

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

Their main business is camera mounts for the movie industry (Porta-Jib, FlexTrak, etc), with astronomical mounts secondary, so they probably don't feel the need to spend $$ on advertising as they seem to sell all that they produce.

Edited by David P, 12 September 2018 - 06:57 PM.

#27 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

They have been around the block since 1987 on the scope mounts.

#28 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

Equally high opinions of the AZ8?

I'm interested in the AZ8 too. Any happy users out there?

#29 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

I'm interested in the AZ8 too. Any happy users out there?

Sure.

#30 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:53 PM

What are the thoughts of moving away from Celestron or skywatcher etc to Losmandy G11.

The advertisements I see in various magazines never show anything about Losmandy products which gives me doubts about buying one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

As a former owner, user, fixer and modifier of Celestron and Orion mounts I have to say that if you are considering making the move to Losmandy DO IT NOW to avoid asking the same question that most of us did after switching "why did I wait so long?" Okay, okay I still own a couple of SkyView-Pro mounts but in my defense one is my no hassle non-goto grab and go mount and the other non-goto SVP I tried to donate to my club and they said "keep it, we don't want it." 

Scott Losmandy was in the same astro club as I was back in the day before he was famous and at this point I have been a Losmandy user for a while and currently own both GM8 and G11 mounts with both Gemini systems. The Losmandy mounts are high-end quality mounts that are fully CNC machined aluminum and stainless steel with commercial bearings used throughout. No significant amount of plastic and zero porous, void filled castings with cheap rough running bearings as supplied by Celestron, Orion and SkyWatcher in their mounts. One of the best features of the Losmandy mounts is that every Losmandy GM8 and G11 can be updated to the current mount specs because the design was good enough and flexible enough to not need any significant changes since day one. There is simply no comparison between the all CNC machined Losmandy mounts and the heavy cast Chinese mounts and no amount of modification can overcome the limitations of the consumer mounts from Celestron, Orion etc. trust me I have been there and done that with the Sirius and Atlas mounts. 

For visual use the Losmandy G11 will happily carry a C14 fully loaded with the usual accessories no problem. The friction clutches are a joy to use, just balance the mount and push your OTA to the target and then use the drive to center the object, no need to unlock any **** clutch levers. For planetary imaging a C11 at f/20 with a backlit 2.4um Sony CMOS camera imaging at 0.18"/pixel pitch is fantastic. For wide field imaging my updated tucked motor, OPW block RAEX G11 carries a bespoke Parallax/AT130mm f/6 FPL-53 triplet apo, piggyback Stellarvue 50mm f/4/QHY5L-II M autoguider to a guided PE in the range of 0.48 to 0.34 arcseconds and my G11 don't have the latest spring loaded worm system installed yet which should improve PE consistency. 

Scott has no need to advertise his mounts, he has a full time machine shop dedicated to machining the parts and the techs assembling them into mounts. Scott sells every mount he can make long before he has ordered the material stock to feed his shop full of CNC machines. The place is amazing, it is stuffed to the rafters with machinery and parts, there are no mounts sitting around except those waiting to get shipped out into distribution and retailers. 

Chip Louie

• Scott Beith, Bowmoreman, Jeff B and 2 others like this

#31 ve1drg

ve1drg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Windsor, Ontario

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:50 AM

Thanks fir the detailed account of the Losmandy mount. It sure helps me with my decision on buying one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#32 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

As a former owner, user, fixer and modifier of Celestron and Orion mounts I have to say that if you are considering making the move to Losmandy DO IT NOW to avoid asking the same question that most of us did after switching "why did I wait so long?" Okay, okay I still own a couple of SkyView-Pro mounts but in my defense one is my no hassle non-goto grab and go mount and the other non-goto SVP I tried to donate to my club and they said "keep it, we don't want it." 

Scott Losmandy was in the same astro club as I was back in the day before he was famous and at this point I have been a Losmandy user for a while and currently own both GM8 and G11 mounts with both Gemini systems. The Losmandy mounts are high-end quality mounts that are fully CNC machined aluminum and stainless steel with commercial bearings used throughout. No significant amount of plastic and zero porous, void filled castings with cheap rough running bearings as supplied by Celestron, Orion and SkyWatcher in their mounts. One of the best features of the Losmandy mounts is that every Losmandy GM8 and G11 can be updated to the current mount specs because the design was good enough and flexible enough to not need any significant changes since day one. There is simply no comparison between the all CNC machined Losmandy mounts and the heavy cast Chinese mounts and no amount of modification can overcome the limitations of the consumer mounts from Celestron, Orion etc. trust me I have been there and done that with the Sirius and Atlas mounts. 

For visual use the Losmandy G11 will happily carry a C14 fully loaded with the usual accessories no problem. The friction clutches are a joy to use, just balance the mount and push your OTA to the target and then use the drive to center the object, no need to unlock any **** clutch levers. For planetary imaging a C11 at f/20 with a backlit 2.4um Sony CMOS camera imaging at 0.18"/pixel pitch is fantastic. For wide field imaging my updated tucked motor, OPW block RAEX G11 carries a bespoke Parallax/AT130mm f/6 FPL-53 triplet apo, piggyback Stellarvue 50mm f/4/QHY5L-II M autoguider to a guided PE in the range of 0.48 to 0.34 arcseconds and my G11 don't have the latest spring loaded worm system installed yet which should improve PE consistency. 

Scott has no need to advertise his mounts, he has a full time machine shop dedicated to machining the parts and the techs assembling them into mounts. Scott sells every mount he can make long before he has ordered the material stock to feed his shop full of CNC machines. The place is amazing, it is stuffed to the rafters with machinery and parts, there are no mounts sitting around except those waiting to get shipped out into distribution and retailers. 

Chip Louie

Now if i could only get SLO- MO knobs and remove the motors i would be in heaven.

#33 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:17 AM

I think one of the reasons Losmandy mounts have been consistently quality mounts is because Hollywood General Machining (home base) is what it says it is; a machining company. Further, they are a machining company founded by a dedicated amateur astronomer whose machining skills were turned to making GEMs. Hollywood General Machining not only make mounts, they make things like the Porta-Jig for the movie industry. So when you get a Losmandy mount you are getting the product of machinists who know machining, know GEMs and are committed to using that skill to make a quality mount. Again, price-point-wise you cannot find a better mount IMO.

Ed

#34 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Now if i could only get SLO- MO knobs and remove the motors i would be in heaven.

Actually Chas, I imagine it would be a rather straight forward mod to do that.  Get a used G11 with digital drive, remove the motors, have an adapter made to fit the coupler on the end of the worms, and fabricate the cables with knobs.

Jeff

#35 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

I was just about to post the same thing! I think you can just remove the servos and gearboxes which would leave the worm stub exposed. Then you just need to order a 2"-3" long solid coupler, a piece of steel rod to fit the coupler and knob in the material of your choice from McMaster Carr and you are GTG.

Chip

#36 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have a G11 with Gemini 2 , I am thorn between selling it of keeping it as my name came up for a mach1, more than likely I will end up doing the switch as the weight savings with the right tripod will be substantial.

In my opinion the G11 is an excellent mount , I wish there was a way to simply better align the mount with its polar scope. This is the only thing that gives me issues sometimes.

Otherwise it does great even at 900mm fl.
I got pin point stars several times at 600 sec unguided ,
( no i don’t image like this, but as a check I sometimes turn off guiding for a frame or two to see how we doing 550fl in this case )

so the mount can definitely deliver and it is completely stock , as long as it is aligned right.

Never slews right to the first star , mostly however from there on, it is a champ.

I see you already have a lot of outstanding glass and as much as I like the Mach1 mount that many of my club members are using to image with for the money I'd keep the G11G. Take the money and get the G11 FULLY updated and with the ton of leftover cash I would buy a nice used GM8 and update it too for imaging or casual visual work while the G11 is doing data capture. 

Chip 

#37 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

My Losmandy GM-100 is 28 years old and is as good as the day I got it.  Stays outside all year under a Telegizmos 365 cover.  Is rock solid with 30-40 pounds of equipment on it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1872.JPG
  • DSCN1906.JPG

• Scott Beith and Chris Cook like this

#38 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

LOL.....one simply cant buy advertising like the post above this one smile.gif

I have a GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX and a GM-200 and all five of them are excellent mounts that have never given me a moments trouble.....

edit: not sure how GM-125EX came off my keyboard....corrected lol

• Scott Beith and daquad like this

#39 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

I have a G11GT, not a straight G11, so maybe some differences in use.

For visual, the Gemini 2 has a good pointing program.

For imaging, expect mediocre guiding at best. My mount varies from about 0.8 to about 1.3 RMS on DEC and RA. I've tried the rubber band on the DEC and hanging a weight off the RA, and every other trick from this forum as well as the Losmandy Yahoo group, with little success.

Sorry for the negative, but that's my experience.

Also, search for G11 threads on this forum for more details.

John

Hi John,

I wish you were closer, I would offer to help you get your G11GT's PE down to where most of the Losmandy mounts guide at. What have you tried so far?

Chip

Edited by YAOG, 14 September 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#40 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:46 PM

I had a Celestron AVX. I really can't complain about it's performance but it would do some quirky things from time to time and had boot loader error twice which I corrected by reprogramming the hand control. For those reasons I found myself wanting a mount I could have confidence in. I bought a Losmandy GM8 non goto mount and love it's simple design and beautiful machining. 

#41 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

I would only weigh in that the support that Scott provides is second to NONE.

I have an MI-250 (had a G11 for a short while; they both share the Gemini control system)... I had a lightning strike that fried my Gemini...

Scott got me all set (this was in G-1 days, not the new G2...

PS: I know a lot of folks **** about Gemini; but frankly, I think they just haven't used it enough to learn it... once learned, it's like riding a bicycle... you not only don't forget it, it's a pleasure... and very powerful...

I literally went 3+ years without a single use, and then, went out, booted up, and was in business in minutes... without having to read a manual to "re-remember"... it's that easily "muscle memoried"...

Losmandy builds quality stuff. Gemini rocks. #Word

In fact the ONLY thing preventing my considering a move to the next weight level/class of mount is the fear/worry of having to go away from Gemini... (but then I'm a curmudgeonly 59.5 years old and hate CHANGE!) ;)

Clear enough skies

• JLL likes this

#42 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:23 AM

I also have a black scope on the G11. Black on black looks really good.

But you can't see it in the dark - ouch!

#43 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

Actually Chas, I imagine it would be a rather straight forward mod to do that.  Get a used G11 with digital drive, remove the motors, have an adapter made to fit the coupler on the end of the worms, and fabricate the cables with knobs.

Jeff

I already have a G11. 

#44 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

LOL.....one simply cant buy advertising like the post above this one smile.gif

I have a GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-125EX and a GM-200 and all five of them are excellent mounts that have never given me a moments trouble.....

I also had a GM 200.  The best mount I have ever owned.  With those beautiful setting circles there was never any need for goto.  Gave it up once I got rid of the C-14.  The GM-100 suits all my needs.  I also have a push-to G-11 with a JMI computer.  Will be using it with a new reflector. 

#45 JeffreyAK

JeffreyAK

Vostok 1

• Loc: Livermore California

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

I've had my G11 for almost 20 years, the thing is bullet-proof and still works great.  The only things I've done are clean off accumulated dirt and spider webs (mine spends much of the summer outside), grease threads and clutch plates, reset the DEC worm gear backlash once, and replace a couple plastic parts that eventually broke (the screw to hold the counterweight, the new one is metal, and one of the screws that clamps the azimuth adjustment for polar alignment).  I added the Gemini 2 system earlier this year, and that works great as well. 

A minor niggle is, it does not seem possible to perfectly polar align the mount with the polar scope, firstly because the reticule in the scope has some lateral play, and secondly because the scope itself has some unavoidable play when screwed into the mount (but not so tightly that you can't rotate it).  As a visual observer I don't really care, it's plenty close enough to locate and track objects, but if I leave it alone and come back in an hour the previously centered object has moved quite a bit, far more than would be tolerable for unguided long-exposure astrophotography.  You can use the standard trick to fine-tune it, star drift, and there's also an iterative polar alignment aid in the Gemini 2 system that I've never played with, but that I hear works well.  If you like to control things with a laptop, instead of a hand controller, you can do that with the Gemini 2 as well, though for me the hand controller works fine.

#46 ken30809

ken30809

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

Chip Louie

I will be getting the GM8 soon. Thanks for the review

#47 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I will be getting the GM8 soon. Thanks for the review

Hi Ken,

Once you have your  GM8 all you will need to get some great astro images is a T-adapter to thread a DSLR onto the focuser and an adapter to thread an autoguider on to your SV finder's focuser threads. I'm using a QHY5L-II mono camera with a $15 Solomark T to C adapter. 

Keep us posted!

Chip

#48 Firas

Firas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Great!

I am considering buying a second hand Titan 50 with Gemeni 1 for a reasonable 3K. 

It will set permanently in a remote observatory for imaging solely. 

I would be be thankful if there are any owners of this specific mount here, who could tell their experience.

Does it guide alright? I read somewhere that its guiding is a bit mediocre! How true is that?

Many thanks in advance   

#49 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

One reason only that I liked the later Celestron CI-700 is because it did have slow-motion knobs on it. On that note I have owned only one CI-700 but have owned 4 Losmandy (including one now). I can also say the same thing about my AP400/600 mounts, no manual cables.

#50 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

Great!

I am considering buying a second hand Titan 50 with Gemeni 1 for a reasonable 3K. 

It will set permanently in a remote observatory for imaging solely. 

I would be be thankful if there are any owners of this specific mount here, who could tell their experience.

Does it guide alright? I read somewhere that its guiding is a bit mediocre! How true is that?

Many thanks in advance   

Hi,

How far is remote in your case ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics