•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAIC 2019

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

NEAIC 2019 Speaker Profile #14

Attached Files

#52 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Speaker Profile #15

Attached Files

• George N likes this

#53 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:48 PM

Speaker Profile #16

Attached Files

#54 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

Hi Bob - I see you have Chris listed as a speaker - but i don't see him on the March 10 schedule of talks?

Is there an updated schedule?

#55 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

Hi Bob - I see you have Chris listed as a speaker - but i don't see him on the March 10 schedule of talks?

Is there an updated schedule?

Chris was a last minute stand in, i have not had time to up date the skd. here and on the NEAIC FB page,  But i'm up to my eye balls with a ton of last week dead lines.

• George N likes this

#56 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Hi Bob, just heard state of emergency declared for Rockland NY due to measles epidemic.  Heard this on CBC radio up here in Canuckistan.  So.. shows going on?  If not I have a flight and hotel to debook..

#57 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Why worry. You are vaccinated aren't you? It's mostly a precaution for young children.

Al

#58 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

Al, I'm travelling planes and trains to get there. I don't have up-to-date vaccination proof ( because it happened 40 years ago ), and what I'm hearing is that large gatherings will require proof of vaccination to gain entry, so not that simple for me.  So yes, I am worried that my $ investment will be for naught.  Maybe your circumstances are less risky, but not mine.

So, again, looking for guidance or communication from the show..

http://rocklandgov.c...gency-declared/

http://rocklandgov.c...es-information/

From the declaration:

"Effective at the stroke of midnight, Wednesday, March 27, anyone who is under 18 years of age and unvaccinated against the measles will be barred from public places until this declaration expires in 30 days or until they receive the MMR vaccination."

Edited by Simcal, 27 March 2019 - 11:01 AM.

• Illinois and dghent like this

#59 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, they don't actually say what's going to happen, just "they won't be walking around asking for vaccination papers". Not sure what they'll do around large crowds

#60 dghent

dghent

Mariner 2

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Welp. My wife and 6 month old were going to come up with me. We've now scrubbed those plans due to this news because measles vaccinations don't happen until he's 1 year old and we'd much rather not run an elevated risk of him contracting it in the mean time. Too bad, because I was pretty excited about him being there with me.

#61 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:41 PM

New York State Department of Health Measles Information Line (888) 364-4837

#62 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:45 PM

Al, I'm travelling planes and trains to get there. I don't have up-to-date vaccination proof ( because it happened 40 years ago ), and what I'm hearing is that large gatherings will require proof of vaccination to gain entry, so not that simple for me.  So yes, I am worried that my $ investment will be for naught.  Maybe your circumstances are less risky, but not mine.

So, again, looking for guidance or communication from the show..

http://rocklandgov.c...gency-declared/

http://rocklandgov.c...es-information/

From the declaration:

"Effective at the stroke of midnight, Wednesday, March 27, anyone who is under 18 years of age and unvaccinated against the measles will be barred from public places until this declaration expires in 30 days or until they receive the MMR vaccination."

I think the info going around may not be the facts, here is where to go for real info, New York State Department of Health Measles Information Line (888) 364-4837

Edited by Bob Moore, 28 March 2019 - 12:13 AM.

#63 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:56 AM

Folks, Bob has responded to my PM now and he is running it up the flagpole with the organizing team.  I'm standing down and hope to hear back from them.  As always do your own research and make your own decisions.  Good luck everyone and thank you Bob for escalating.

#64 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

This was just sent to me from RAC for posting

NEAF/NEAIC Official Statement: (Regarding the measles concern in Rockland County)

Rest assured, there are no travel restrictions to NEAF and NEAIC or measles documentation required as some internet rumors have indicated.  Recent news stories and internet rumors have greatly exaggerated concerns in Rockland County. 

An increased occurrence of measles in the county was first noted last fall,   likely due, according to the CDC,  to some families choosing not to vaccinate their children.

News stories escalated when a judge banned 44 unvaccinated children from returning to Green Meadow Waldorf School in Chestnut Ridge, NY, a progressive private school which does not require standard childhood immunizations, as are required in all other state-run schools.   Most news stories are surrounding the judge’s verdict to ban unvaccinated children from school and are not about any risk of contracting measles in Rockland.

Once again, there is no concern of measles at NEAF and NEAIC nor is there any required paperwork at the door.  Rumors of this are simply false and should be whole heartily ignored. 

As always, we hope you will enjoy your visit to NEAF and NEAIC and we look forward to seeing you.

#65 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

I just posted this in NEAF thread:

Ok, for anyone who is looking for a Friday and Saturday night room at the Crowne Plaza I just cancelled my reservation within 5 minutes of this post.  It was either a king or queen Executive level room.

This was a very hard decision, especially because I missed last years.  It is because of a medical relapse this past week and a new large financial issue that just popped.  Well, here's to next year considering the years are going by faster and faster.

#66 albln

albln

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

Same here but from Wednesday to Sunday.  Health issue totally unrelated to the topic that has been discussed in these boards.  Really sad because I was looking forward to my first NEIAC....

A

Ok, for anyone who is looking for a Friday and Saturday night room at the Crowne Plaza I just cancelled my reservation within 5 minutes of this post.  It was either a king or queen Executive level room.

This was a very hard decision, especially because I missed last years.  It is because of a medical relapse this past week and a new large financial issue that just popped.  Well, here's to next year considering the years are going by faster and faster.

#67 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

Same here but from Wednesday to Sunday.  Health issue totally unrelated to the topic that has been discussed in these boards.  Really sad because I was looking forward to my first NEIAC....

A

I don't really follow the news anymore so when I saw the so called issue (non issue) here I did 10 minutes of research and discovered even with me being immuno-suppressed it is a non issue.  I'm actually in a lot more danger health wise while I shop at the grocery store, Wal-Mart and Costco today.  Even scarier, I have to ride the subway thru Montgomery County and DC one day this week.  That alone is enough to make a germaphobe into an agoraphobe who never leaves the home.

Seriously though, I would only be concerned if I was going to Shabbat services at one of the local orthodox synagogues.  But then again, if I was that religious I wouldn't be doing any astro activities Friday night or Saturday anyway.  

I really needed to look at alt az grab and go mounts and tripods for the 92, pick up some BG glass from Lunt, talk with everyone from AP, Lunt, Stellarvue and quite a few other manufacturers.  Not to mention the TeleVue eyepiece raffle and now the return of their Blem Sale.

Edited by Bryguy, 31 March 2019 - 08:08 AM.

#68 BillyBoyBoy

BillyBoyBoy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

Chris was a last minute stand in, i have not had time to up date the skd. here and on the NEAIC FB page,  But i'm up to my eye balls with a ton of last week dead lines.

Hi Bob,

Is Chris Go doing his workshop in substitute of Dennis Conti's "Using AstroImageJ for Exoplanet Observing" workshop?

If so, I would suppose purchase of Dennis' workshop would transfer to the workshop of my choice on night two?

Thanks,

PS, if you're up to your eyeballs, would you like me to update the schedule for you?  I'm happy to help.

Bill

#69 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

Hi Bob,

Is Chris Go doing his workshop in substitute of Dennis Conti's "Using AstroImageJ for Exoplanet Observing" workshop?

If so, I would suppose purchase of Dennis' workshop would transfer to the workshop of my choice on night two?

Thanks,

PS, if you're up to your eyeballs, would you like me to update the schedule for you?  I'm happy to help.

Bill

Bill call me tomorrow

#70 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

I have not found an internal schedule for the event. I will be driving in from far away, and want to know just when I need to be there......

It says it starts at 8:30, but is that registration, breakfast, or talks? I don't want to arrive at 7:30 and find out there is nothing to do until 9:00 or something. 

Alex

#71 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

I have not found an internal schedule for the event. I will be driving in from far away, and want to know just when I need to be there......

It says it starts at 8:30, but is that registration, breakfast, or talks? I don't want to arrive at 7:30 and find out there is nothing to do until 9:00 or something. 

Alex

Hi Alex,

Attached Thumbnails

• 53545850_2222270651357943_5696984388240146432_n.jpg
  • 53298637_2222270668024608_1318039881624059904_n.jpg

#72 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:13 AM

Thanks, Tolga,

7:45......is my answer

Alex

#73 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

Prism v10 - Hyperion Astronomy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

Thank you Bob and Tolga.

#74 NYSky

NYSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: upstate New York

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

attended my first NEAIC this year (and 5th NEAF).   Some impressions:

- overall, well done and right on the money for anyone with a serious interest in astroimaging and a reasonable grasp of astronomy basics.  I heard this was the largest attendance yet and I think that’s well deserved

- venue is a good choice.  The accommodations were sized appropriately to the event.  A friend I attended with said that changes had been made for 2019 to provide more room for the vendors and meals had been to good effect.

- couldn’t attend all the talks as there were multiple tracks.  Of what I did attend, here are the highlights that jump to mind

— Don Pettit, NASA astronaut, earth photography from ISS.  Beautiful images, learned some scientific factoids I didn’t know, an all around inspiring guy.  He stuck around for the entire conference and was very approachable.

— Ron Brecher, astroimaging 101 tutorials, parts 1 through 4.  A great intro / refresher on astro imaging, lots of practical info and links to resources on the web

—- Chris Go, tutorial on planetary imaging

— Stephanie Anderson, overview of RASA and Hyperstar imaging

—- Adam Block, intro to Pixinsight. 

— ??, International Dark Skies Association, overview on light pollutions sources and effects, with surprising news about LED illuminationn issues

all of these speakers displayed great passion for and knowledge of their subjects, with genuine desire to share their knowledge.  I felt fortunate to hear from them and benefit from their teaching.

- some things and topics to consider for next year

—additional introductory-level talks and workshops for astronomy newbies.   I heard several comments from people feeling overwhelmed by the Pixinsight, for example, whereas I was comfortable with the subject matter as an engineer well familiar with math and programming tools.

— a talk on planning an observatory, observatory siting, dome vs roll-on/roll-off, etc.

— hands-on astroimaging workshop

— DSLR astroimaging for newbies

— principles of celestial geometry and optics for newbies ... judging by several comments and questions,  seemed some people needed help with basics such as RA/declination , polar alignment, basic optical parameters such as computing FOV, magnification, etc.

— collimation workshop: demonstrations and hands on practice

in other words, I think the conference seemed well suited for the advanced beginnner to intermediate student of astroimaging, but a good place to add topic material could be that for the raw beginner... many folks attending don’t have a math/science background but may want to learn more about the basics.

• George N and Bill Lee like this

#75 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

attended my first NEAIC this year (and 5th NEAF).   Some impressions:

- overall, well done and right on the money for anyone with a serious interest in astroimaging and a reasonable grasp of astronomy basics.  I heard this was the largest attendance yet and I think that’s well deserved

- venue is a good choice.  The accommodations were sized appropriately to the event.  A friend I attended with said that changes had been made for 2019 to provide more room for the vendors and meals had been to good effect.

- couldn’t attend all the talks as there were multiple tracks.  Of what I did attend, here are the highlights that jump to mind

— Don Pettit, NASA astronaut, earth photography from ISS.  Beautiful images, learned some scientific factoids I didn’t know, an all around inspiring guy.  He stuck around for the entire conference and was very approachable.

— Ron Brecher, astroimaging 101 tutorials, parts 1 through 4.  A great intro / refresher on astro imaging, lots of practical info and links to resources on the web

—- Chris Go, tutorial on planetary imaging

— Stephanie Anderson, overview of RASA and Hyperstar imaging

—- Adam Block, intro to Pixinsight. 

— ??, International Dark Skies Association, overview on light pollutions sources and effects, with surprising news about LED illuminationn issues

all of these speakers displayed great passion for and knowledge of their subjects, with genuine desire to share their knowledge.  I felt fortunate to hear from them and benefit from their teaching.

- some things and topics to consider for next year

—additional introductory-level talks and workshops for astronomy newbies.   I heard several comments from people feeling overwhelmed by the Pixinsight, for example, whereas I was comfortable with the subject matter as an engineer well familiar with math and programming tools.

— a talk on planning an observatory, observatory siting, dome vs roll-on/roll-off, etc.

— hands-on astroimaging workshop

— DSLR astroimaging for newbies

— principles of celestial geometry and optics for newbies ... judging by several comments and questions,  seemed some people needed help with basics such as RA/declination , polar alignment, basic optical parameters such as computing FOV, magnification, etc.

— collimation workshop: demonstrations and hands on practice

in other words, I think the conference seemed well suited for the advanced beginnner to intermediate student of astroimaging, but a good place to add topic material could be that for the raw beginner... many folks attending don’t have a math/science background but may want to learn more about the basics.

Thank you for your comments, I'll see what i can do.  

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics