•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Visit to See a Giant in Utah - 1.8 Meter Mike Clements

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Coconuts

Coconuts

Vostok 1

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

One more correction: the fellow that I sold this mirror to at "Intermountain Optics" was Vaughn Parsons, not "Roy".  It's possible that his brother and business partner was named Roy, but it is more than likely that I simply mis-recalled this detail.

All the best,

Kevin 

• JWW and mr70inch like this

#27 pcd109

pcd109

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:22 AM

What a fascinating story! And what an astonishing telescope! Mike, can you clear some things up about this marvelous scope? I see you have a tilted secondary. Now, i assume that this points to a tertiary that is situated on the side? Just wonder how this is exactly(if you can share) and what is the eyepiece height in this configuration. Very clever to say the least, this is something on my bucket list. Unfortunately i am in Europe and it's a no go for me. Who knows, maybe someday..... Congrats to everyone and especially to Mike for this wonderful accomplishment.
Constantin

• mr70inch likes this

#28 Ab Umbra Lumen

Ab Umbra Lumen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

Wonderful story... And if I may tell, the best part is not just seeing the scope, but also *the faces* of the people there...!!
Thank you and keep on dreaming above the skies!
  • mr70inch likes this

#29 mr70inch

mr70inch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:04 AM

Hi pcd109, thank you for your interest in the optical layout. Very simple. A flat 29 inch mirror reflects light down a baffle tube (looks like a refractor, but no lenses) into a 2 inch format rotatable star diagonal. No tertiary per se, well yes, since the diagonal functions as such, but the diagonal also allows what I believe, a more comfortable eyepiece viewing position, the viewer looks slightly "down" into the eyepiece. No neck strain. The maximum eyepiece height when the scope is pointed high into the sky (remember no access the zenith due to gimbal lock, or often commonly referred to as "Dobson's Hole") approx. 12 feet or so ladder height. However, for objects being viewed 45 degrees and lower, a modest step ladder, or flat-footed observing is possible.      Mike Clements          "If you want to reach the stars, You'll need a big stairway".....(Spanish proverb)

• pcd109 likes this

#30 mr70inch

mr70inch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:15 AM

Ab umbra lumen....You SO hit the nail on the head, thank you. I still get goosebumps seeing the reactions of people when the scope is in use at public star viewing events. I feel a cold war era relic has transcended into a new and vibrant existence.     Mike Clements

• Ab Umbra Lumen likes this

#31 mr70inch

mr70inch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

Just to clear something up I wrote earlier..the 29 inch is an optical flat, which is yes, tilted to reflect light to the side of the telescope...I just wanted to clarify my previous post..thnx       Mike Clements

#32 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

Having access to couches is almost as good as getting to look through the huge telescope!

• mr70inch likes this

#33 starpal

starpal

Viking 1

• Loc: Midpoint-USA

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

What a fantastic article it is likely the best I have ever seen on CN. Lovely amazing telescope story! Wonderful photo work, too. Thank you Dennis for doing this for us and thank you Mike for the masterpiece instrument...wow!!

• mr70inch likes this

#34 SiriusLooker

SiriusLooker

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sedona, Arizona, USA, Earth, MilkyWay.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

Thanks again for more super feedbacks.. Yes it was a joy to sit and relax on couches,, Only Mike would come up with that,~!! while waiting to have a peek..

And StarPal -- remark on the article too.. so kind..! 

Especially thanks for (Coconuts)- aka Kevin... for bring forth some more great back history on this special Mirror.. WOW >WOW.. Its great to have such great connections, via internet. 

Dennis...

• mr70inch likes this

#35 SteveFour86

SteveFour86

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay City, OR

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

What a great article.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience,and reminding what a wonderful community we are a part of.

• mr70inch likes this

#36 Hoagect

Hoagect

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for sharing!

• mr70inch likes this

#37 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:45 AM

Without a doubt I will be hitting the road on my motorcycle next year and heading to Utah from Ga in hopes to experience a look through this amazing telescope!

• mr70inch likes this

#38 SiriusLooker

SiriusLooker

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Thanks again for recent remarks, (Steve, Hoagect, Shaffer), for your interest in this remarkable telescope, and hoping to get a chance to see this marvelous instrument in person. I am sure you will not regret it. Mike Clements is a first rate Guest Host,(when available), if you do so..

Dennis

• mr70inch likes this

#39 Mithrander1972

Mithrander1972

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

Great article about a phenomenal amateur telescope and it's maker. 

• mr70inch likes this

#40 jgreif

jgreif

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

At Stansbury 8 27 17
Album: Visit to Stansbury Park UT
1 images
0 comments

Thanks for the great article...it brought back wonderful memories of our visit with Mike Clemens at the Stansbury Park Observatory, on our way back to San Diego from our Idaho Solar Eclipse trip in August, 2017.  Mike is a wonderful host, and was happy to set up the scope for viewing on what turned out to be a spectacularly clear night.  His ability to move that thing through the sky, star hopping to DSO's is amazing. The image is a photo taken by my better half of Mike and me standing behind the 1.8 meter.

• mr70inch likes this

#41 SiriusLooker

SiriusLooker

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

Super Glad you also had great memories at the Stansbury Park Observatory, (jgreif) .  Also many thanks for the great Photo Add.. Thanks too to Mithrander for your positive feedback..

sincerely Dennis..

• mr70inch likes this

#42 mr70inch

mr70inch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

Some people have asked why the flag on the spire appeared to go only halfway up. That was because it was intentionally being flown at half-staff to honor the memory of our dear friend Siegfried Jachmann (Ziggy) who had recently passed.             Mike Clements

#43 SiriusLooker

SiriusLooker

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

For those curious as to what can be seen thru this noteworthy Giant....As told by the maker himself... The Stephan Quintet galaxy group was one of his showstoppers. Seeing spiral structure was an impressive site to see with a group about 300(plus) million light years away!

Dennis 

• mr70inch likes this

#44 pcd109

pcd109

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:07 PM

Hi pcd109, thank you for your interest in the optical layout. Very simple. A flat 29 inch mirror reflects light down a baffle tube (looks like a refractor, but no lenses) into a 2 inch format rotatable star diagonal. No tertiary per se, well yes, since the diagonal functions as such, but the diagonal also allows what I believe, a more comfortable eyepiece viewing position, the viewer looks slightly "down" into the eyepiece. No neck strain. The maximum eyepiece height when the scope is pointed high into the sky (remember no access the zenith due to gimbal lock, or often commonly referred to as "Dobson's Hole") approx. 12 feet or so ladder height. However, for objects being viewed 45 degrees and lower, a modest step ladder, or flat-footed observing is possible.      Mike Clements          "If you want to reach the stars, You'll need a big stairway".....(Spanish proverb)

Oau, just AMAZING. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. This is something i will most likely visit in few years time. 

• mr70inch likes this

#45 mr70inch

mr70inch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:34 PM

Pcd 109...I look forward to your visit!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics