•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poll: What will you do with your Stowaway?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'm curious. If you do get notified and buy the latest AP Stowaway, what do you intend to use if for? 

Thanks, and clear skies, Alan

• Castor likes this

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

Stow it in its case away in the closet, of course.

Peace...

• Sam M likes this

#3 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Imaging. I wanted to try out the 16200 sensor on it to see how it performed.

#4 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

First, I would enjoy comparing it with some of my other smaller scopes, LOMO 80mm, Tak FC-100DL, TV NP-101.

I would bring it out with my other scopes from time to time for viewing.  I mostly prefer larger scopes but small scopes serve a purpose too with beautiful wide views.

I would bring it while traveling for nature.  I recall Roland speaking about how much he enjoyed viewing whales with it.  I am not yet into bird watching but I love nature and can imagine that I would enjoy viewing nature more as I get older and maybe do less hiking.

I would admire it as one of the best scopes made in its aperture class.  I would use it as a standard to measure others.  I enjoy testing scopes.

• Castor and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

I've been curious about these smaller AP scopes for years.  I'm on the list from April 2001 so I suppose I have maybe a 50-50 chance of being offered one.  At this point, having a TV-85, I'd buy it because I would love to have something I enjoyed as much as my NP101 in a smaller package.  I would do some side by side observing (I only do visual) and see if it's something to replace the TV-85.  Based on the specs comparing them, they are about the same length but the raw weight of the TV-85 is a little over a pound lighter.

I would hope to love the AP enough to keep it and sell the TV-85.  The 92mm size is a sweet spot in my mind for a general purpose refractor under darker skies.   It would be used on a TelePod head (I have two of them) and I note the new version uses a standard Vixen rail.  Apparently, the old ones used a proprietary size.

I note some mentioning usage as a spotting scope.  I have the superlative Kowa TSN-883 so my daytime needs are well covered in a weather proof and much lighter package (but can still be adapted to use higher power astro eps instead of the lovely zoom ep that Kowa produces (25x-60x).

Edited by Chris Greene, 13 September 2018 - 04:25 PM.

• Castor likes this

#6 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

I'd wonder at the perfect star images and just enjoy it on an alt az purely visual. No electronics at all.
  • MortonH likes this

#7 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

Gosh, I dunno; split sub-arcsecond pairs and resolve finer planetary detail and fainter deep sky objects than any 92mm ; use it for correct orientation daylight viewing at powers from 32 to 406x.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2709.jpg

• John Huntley and Castor like this

#8 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• Loc: TV-76 on Lorenzin’s 1000+Field Guide

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

Gosh, I dunno; split sub-arcsecond pairs and resolve finer planetary detail and fainter deep sky objects than any 92mm ; use it for correct orientation daylight viewing at powers from 32 to 406x.

And perhaps have more nice stuff to add to one of your fine books? smile.gif

Hi Neil,

I have greatly enjoyed reading your book Choosing and Using a Refracting Telescope on more than one occasion and I just wanted to thank you for writing about my favorite subject! waytogo.gif 

Edited by Castor, 13 September 2018 - 04:02 PM.

• gjanke likes this

#9 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Thank you Castor!

Best,

Neil.

• Castor and gjanke like this

#10 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

If I'm lucky enough to get one, it will likely replace both my 85 and 102 scopes as my quick deploy visual scope. 

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

Many will sell for double the price and suckers will pay it.

#12 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

Many will sell for double the price and suckers will pay it.

Oh, I doubt that.  Sure, some will try to profiteer but with knowing there might be another couple hundred coming after the initial batch, one would definitely be a chump to pay more than a token premium unless the reviews are overwhelming that it's the best refractor ever made and nothing else comes close. ;)

If I get one and am not impressed enough over my TV-85, I'm sure I'll sell it but all I'd want is to be whole and not lose any money from the initial purchase.  As a Rotarian, I don't cheat people, take advantage, or profiteer, it's not in my nature.

• ezwheels likes this

#13 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

My plan is to use it for travel, quick looks, and perhaps calcium K if it performs well there. I might feel queasy risking losing a rare $12,000 f/5, but this price is similar to what others pay for cameras or high-end binoculars.

My current TMB 92L is for travel and quick looks. The AP will be heavier and longer, but I am really looking forward to sharpness at f/6.6. I am always subtlety disappointed by the field curvature and softness at f/5.5. It's still beautiful but nothing like my bigger refractors.

The big question is whether I start playing with imaging. The portability of this setup may be enough to tip the balance into trying. In which case, time to decide flattener or compressor.

George

#14 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:51 PM

My plan is to use it for travel, quick looks, and perhaps calcium K if it performs well there. I might feel queasy risking losing a rare $12,000 f/5, but this price is similar to what others pay for cameras or high-end binoculars.

My current TMB 92L is for travel and quick looks. The AP will be heavier and longer, but I am really looking forward to sharpness at f/6.6. I am always subtlety disappointed by the field curvature and softness at f/5.5. It's still beautiful but nothing like my bigger refractors.

The big question is whether I start playing with imaging. The portability of this setup may be enough to tip the balance into trying. In which case, time to decide flattener or compressor.

George

Honestly get both for imaging. While speed is all the rage today (and I have an FSQ I am setting up as a F3 lightning rod) there is something to be said for excellent star quality, and that is not speed dependent, rather it is heavily dependent on the quality of the optics you are using. \

Here is a good example:

https://www.astrobin.../full/343714/C/

That was taken with a TOA130, using the 67-FL flattener and a small Sony ICX834 sensor. While extended object detail is good, it would be much better if I had a faster scope on the other end. The TOA is F7.7 at this configuration. Ignore that though, look at the stars. They are absolutely beautiful. There are times for speeding things up, and there are times for betting on absurd quality. If you look at the specs of that flattener, they are incredibly good. 

• George9 and epdreher like this

#15 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Travel. Its a great size to give enough detail.

• epdreher likes this

#16 Jeronimo Cruz

Jeronimo Cruz

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

Grab' n' Go.

#17 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

There certainly is a lot of daydreaming associated with such a small telescope, reminiscent of my early days lusting after girls and the legendary 3.5" Questar.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-wtYGZt7aI4

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:12 AM

Oh, I doubt that.  Sure, some will try to profiteer but with knowing there might be another couple hundred coming after the initial batch, one would definitely be a chump to pay more than a token premium unless the reviews are overwhelming that it's the best refractor ever made and nothing else comes close. wink.gif

If I get one and am not impressed enough over my TV-85, I'm sure I'll sell it but all I'd want is to be whole and not lose any money from the initial purchase.  As a Rotarian, I don't cheat people, take advantage, or profiteer, it's not in my nature.

Some were selling for 10k a few years back. I guess if he makes more of them prices will drop.

#19 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:16 AM

My plan is to display it in a glass case with uplighting and security system.  It'll never see starlight.  You look at A-P's not through them. 

• Paul G and sink45ny like this

#20 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

My plan is to display it in a glass case with uplighting and security system.  It'll never see starlight.  You look at A-P's not through them. 

Your AP130 is doing excellent work, even from inside a glass case! 

Clear skies, Alan

• HARRISON SCOPES likes this

#21 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:15 AM

It will without doubt, become my most used scope for visual. As I get older, life is getting in the way of observing more and this little gem would go a long way into getting me out more often with less hassle. It really may replace my AP Star 12, AP 130GT and the AP 140! Don't ask why I have three AP's so close together, it's a long story! 😜
I've had three 90's and know from experience I can be satisfied with this class as a minimalist approach. It will be mounted on a light weight altaz with Nexus to navigate. Left assembled, it will be a one trip grab and go to the backyard or thrown into a carryon to go on business trips.

Edited by t.r., 14 September 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#22 peleuba

peleuba

Apollo

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Some were selling for 10k a few years back. I guess if he makes more of them prices will drop.

Yes - at $10k this was mostly the very short focal length model using Fluorite as the low dispersion element.  I am a notoriously poor predictor of the future value of things (my wife, a wealth manager, would certainly attest to this) but for the original small run of very short FL, Fluorite based models, I think these will retain the high price tag - its truly a one of kind type of telescope.

The new FCD100 based Stowaway is more akin to the second run of the original FPL-53, longer FL Stowaway.  The new scope, I believe, will affect the resale value of this model.  All IMO, of course.

• Paul G likes this

#23 jay.i

jay.i

Vanguard

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

If I manage to get one, my Stowaway will be my most used scope for quick looks at the moon and planets on my balcony, staying mounted by the door 24/7. I will bring it to a nearby somewhat-dark site on weeknights if/when I can, with a manual alt-az mount, for a few hours when the opportunity presents itself. I will bring it to dark site visits with my local astronomy club and share the views with as many people as I can, while bumming looks through bigger scopes from club members. I will consider bringing it to a larger star party but it won't leave my sight (neither would my eyepiece case). I will consider bringing it to the Southern hemisphere for a stargazing trip, but the TV-85 would probably fill that spot due to it being easy to replace and of much less sentimental value.

To be honest, I would use it for almost every use case. The only times I wouldn't use it are when I think I won't use it much (like 1 night of 7 on a vacation) or when environmental conditions are risky (super dewy, dusty, freezing, or sketchy area). I would want to get my money's worth for sure, but not at the expense of its cleanliness or safety.

• Moondust likes this

#24 Dwight56

Dwight56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

Aside from putting mine in  glass case   bow.gif  bow.gif  bow.gif   and booby trapping it.  laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif  I plan on taking pictures through it using my 400 QMD maybe some pictures of horned owls... If I go back to Australia I plan to take it with me.wink.gif

Dwight

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

• Paul G and peleuba like this

#25 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:37 PM

Yes - at $10k this was mostly the very short focal length model using Fluorite as the low dispersion element.  I am a notoriously poor predictor of the future value of things (my wife, a wealth manager, would certainly attest to this) but for the original small run of very short FL, Fluorite based models, I think these will retain the high price tag - its truly a one of kind type of telescope.

The new FCD100 based Stowaway is more akin to the second run of the original FPL-53, longer FL Stowaway.  The new scope, I believe, will affect the resale value of this model.  All IMO, of course.

You are correct, the f4.9 Stowaway goes for up to $12,500. A perusal of recent sold ads on the Mart show the f6.6 going for $6500-9500. I would imagine two new production runs of the longer fl scope will drop the sale price some, but I'd bet it won't be anywhere near the $3500 current new price which is $1500 less than the selling price of the first long Stowaway adjusted for inflation. And when Roland retires there is likely to be a jump.

You're right, it's difficult to predict, but one thing that seems to hold true is that used prices for AP scopes always run higher than I would have predicted. laugh.gif

• peleuba likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics