•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cheap - indi compatible - controller for Losmandy SVM-HT servo motor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dolguldur

dolguldur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:24 AM

Dear all,

I am looking for a cheap alternative for gemini2 motor controller.

In the past, I have been working with astroEQ controller based on arduino. However I cannot use this solution for controlling a Losmandy mount with the svm-ht controller.

Do you know if there is a similar controller box that would allow for controling a gm-like mount equipped with servo motor ?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

SiTech. Not cheap.

If you have a Gemini 2 with a busted board and you don’t want to buy a new board, why not sell the servo motors and do an OnStep conversion (or AstroEQ) with stepper motors?

Trying to find a DIY servo controller isn’t going to be cheap or easy.

#3 dolguldur

dolguldur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for your answer.

It is a second hand gm8, with new motors, but no control box.

I realized that this question had been asked few time here, and the the most common answer was, as you suggested, this one: http://www.siderealt....com/store.html

Version 1 and version 2 of Sitech controller look both cheaper than a proper gemini 2. It is alright for me to spend up to 400$/500$ for a good controller, especially given the fact that servo of that torque are not that common. But 1400$/1500$ is too much for a "simple" GM8, that only carries 30 lbs max with around 10" periodic error, or even more.

The question is: has someone tried to use one of those controller on a gemini 8 with the new SVM-HT motors? is is easy to setup ? What are the key feature that would make you choose one over the other ?

If it is too difficult to find an alternate solution, I might just buy the Gemini2, but first, I would like to assess if the mount worth it.

Edited by dolguldur, 14 September 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#4 benula

benula

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stillwater, MN

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

If your willing to go the diy route, I think you would be very happy with onstep. I have a g-11 that had the 492 digital drive and didn't want to pay the $$$ for gemini. There are quite a few of us using OnStep with INDI and it works great.

#5 dolguldur

dolguldur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for the answer. The thing is that I already own the svm-ht servo motor. The onstep project looks nice but it is designed for ... stepper motor, so that would require me to buy a set of old stepper motor for g8 (not available anymore as far as is know ?) and build the onstep interface, am I correct ?

What motors do you use ?

Edited by dolguldur, 15 September 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#6 dolguldur

dolguldur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

Wait realize that 1 thing is not clear to me:

Would buying the sitech1 alone controler be enough to control the svm-ht motors from losmandy (from a computer, because I don't need a hand controller) ?

#7 555aaa

555aaa

Viking 1

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

I think the answer is yes.

#8 dolguldur

dolguldur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:38 AM

Ok I think I finished the searching phase.
I asked on sitech yahoo group and got confirmation that sitech 1 and 2 controllers are out of the box compatible with svm-ht servo motors for losmandy mounts.

But, sitech is not indi compatible, still expensive for the second version, and not convenient for EU customers.

But... I recently discussed with developpers from freego2, and, although the project is not yet fully in production (beta of ascom driver, indi still in roadmap), it looks extremely promising:
http://campussternwa...de/freego2.html

It is servo AND stepper motor compatible, and... quite cheap and... opensource

Edited by dolguldur, 18 September 2018 - 05:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics