•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mega excited.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Suffolk, UK 🇬🇧

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

My Questar and Tristand is shipped and expected date to my dealer in the UK via UPS International is Tuesday.
  • cbwerner, JHollJr, dpastern and 11 others like this

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:44 AM

jump.gif

• Pragmatist likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Messenger

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:04 AM

Yay!  Good for you, Matty!

waytogo.gif

smp

• daddymouse and Pragmatist like this

#4 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

Great news!!!

You will love seeing Saturn and Mars in it, may even still catch Jupiter.  Any you will have a great Moon phase for first light.  

Did you you know about the secret add on price for clear skies to be shipped with it? lol.gif

Dave

• Pragmatist likes this

#5 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

After seeing the final price with that Tristand I expect clear skies for the next 3 months....Free of charge

• davidmcgo, Bomber Bob and JamesMStephens like this

#6 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:01 AM

After seeing the final price with that Tristand I expect clear skies for the next 3 months....Free of charge

Took me a while to justify a Tristand's price for the 1975 model Q that I bought used in 1981!

• Pragmatist likes this

#7 JMKarian

JMKarian

Mariner 2

• Loc: Deep In the Great Lake induced “Permagloom”

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

Matty

May you have many clear nights in health and happiness going forward with your 3.5.   Your patience has indeed been challenged  - but at last -  you will be rewarded Tuesday night!   Ahhh to  bathe your retinas with those glorious  photons of M31 arriving for your enjoyment after a mere journey of 2.5 million light years -  captured and channeled to you via your Q’s superb optics.waytogo.gif

John

• MrJim and Pragmatist like this

#8 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

Yay!  Good for you, Matty!

waytogo.gif

smp

Thanks Stephen

#9 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

Matty

May you have many clear nights in health and happiness going forward with your 3.5.   Your patience has indeed been challenged  - but at last -  you will be rewarded Tuesday night!   Ahhh to  bathe your retinas with those glorious  photons of M31 arriving for your enjoyment after a mere journey of 2.5 million light years -  captured and channeled to you via your Q’s superb optics.waytogo.gif

John

So brilliantly put John.

Many thanks indeed 

#10 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

Congrats!!   Once the Moon moves on, check out the Dumbbell -- a big surprise for me from this little scope.

• JHollJr, JMKarian and Pragmatist like this

#11 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

One tip, the shorter focal length (higher power) eyepiece actually does better in the finder, sky background is darker and it shows fainter stars and the extra magnification helps with centering.  It is somewhat counter-intuitive where you typically use lower power eyepiece in the telescope when hunting things.

Using the setting circles to get close and the finder and S&Ts Pocket Sky Atlas I found NGC6572, 7662, 6826, and 7009 last night, all small planetary nebula.  Also found NGC7331 which was really difficult in my suburban back yard and took a long while to positively identify.

M17, M8, M17, M27 all visible.  M57 shows very nicely.  V Aquila looked very rosy last night also.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas is also a great companion to a Q3.5.  Many interesting doubles to see, and the scale of the atlas works well with the finder and my 13mm (original Japanese made 80-160x) eyepiece.

Hoping your delivery goes great and the skies are clear!

Dave

• Pragmatist likes this

#12 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

One tip, the shorter focal length (higher power) eyepiece actually does better in the finder, sky background is darker and it shows fainter stars and the extra magnification helps with centering.  It is somewhat counter-intuitive where you typically use lower power eyepiece in the telescope when hunting things.

Using the setting circles to get close and the finder and S&Ts Pocket Sky Atlas I found NGC6572, 7662, 6826, and 7009 last night, all small planetary nebula.  Also found NGC7331 which was really difficult in my suburban back yard and took a long while to positively identify.

M17, M8, M17, M27 all visible.  M57 shows very nicely.  V Aquila looked very rosy last night also.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas is also a great companion to a Q3.5.  Many interesting doubles to see, and the scale of the atlas works well with the finder and my 13mm (original Japanese made 80-160x) eyepiece.

Hoping your delivery goes great and the skies are clear!

Dave

Duly noted David. I love the idea of old fashioned setting circles and a star atlas.

• JHollJr likes this

#13 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:50 PM

Excellent news!

Hopefully all aspects of delivery go smoothly. Your going to have an agonizing last few days wait on your hands but from then onwards the fun begins.

It was an acquisition adventure filled with great sacrifices of time, money and nerves, but ending in the perfect victory. Enjoy!

PS: don’t forget the photos

Edited by ehallspqr, 14 September 2018 - 05:52 PM.

• Pragmatist likes this

#14 Les Aperture

Les Aperture

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

All you really need is the Q, Tristand, and your iPhone. I use StarWalk. Pick your target and you can get the RA/DEC or Alt/Az. Just learn to get a decent polar alignment. ...the iPhone has a very passable compass & level. hint-hint.

• JHollJr, Pragmatist and diog like this

#15 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:58 PM

Excellent news!

Hopefully all aspects of delivery go smoothly. Your going to have an agonizing last few days wait on your hands but from then onwards the fun begins.

It was an acquisition adventure filled with great sacrifices of time, money and nerves, but ending in the perfect victory. Enjoy!

PS: don’t forget the photos

Plenty of photos to come, camera at the ready

#16 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:59 PM

All you really need is the Q, Tristand, and your iPhone. I use StarWalk. Pick your target and you can get the RA/DEC or Alt/Az. Just learn to get a decent polar alignment. ...the iPhone has a very passable compass & level. hint-hint.

Thanks for the tip. Will check out the App Store.

#17 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:02 AM

Questar arrived at dealers tues but worked yesterday and today so driving the hour and a bit to collect my much awaited Q.

met office has rain all tomorrow afternoon and well into the night. You couldn’t make it up

• Erik Bakker, ianatcn and rcwolpert like this

#18 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

Questar arrived at dealers tues but worked yesterday and today so driving the hour and a bit to collect my much awaited Q.

met office has rain all tomorrow afternoon and well into the night. You couldn’t make it up

The Met office is right for once, but hey, your Q has arrived with a storm !   

It's a good day to enjoy unpacking and getting acquainted with it " indoors ". smile.png

• Pragmatist likes this

#19 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

There is that I suppose Mike. Looking forward to tomorrow morning, it’s been a git of a wait.

#20 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

Consider yourself lucky on your wait. I ordered an Anglo concertina from a famous British maker and had to wait over 4 YEARS! But as soon as I got it, the wait was forgotten and the smiles began. 

Enjoy!

Ross Schlabach

#21 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

How did it take 4 years? I had a bass guitar take 16 weeks but 4 years is an incredible time to wait. I’d have been climbing the walls.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics