•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How's my PHD doing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

Would you be happy with PHD results like this?

I was happy with most of my pics from last night but some had oval stars when zoomed in extremely.  Seeing was poor to mediocre....

Difficulty:  I was imaging at 2800mm focal length with my C11 on AP 1200 but using an autoguider with a focal length of about 150mm (a 50mm finder with an Orion Starshoot AG on it.)  Perhaps a longer F.L. guidescope?  I have a 60mm/700mm refractor I could use...  Is there an ideal ratio of focal lengths for the autoguider and the imaging lens/scope?

All my pics from last night with this set-up are in another post on this forum...Title: Images with a C11....

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Dave

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Dave:

I would say pretty good, you are bouncing +/- 1" which is about as good as could be expected with the guide scope you have and you results are similar to my AP900 with a 66mm refractor. However, long focal lengths call for off-axis guiding, IMO. So I spent the money to go OAG. It's not cheap as you need a really sensitive guide camera like a Lodestar to insure you will find a guide star (the Lodestar X2 is fine, no use in buying that more expensive one just for guiding). Not a bunch of time with the OAG, but I have never failed to find a guide star and I do not have a rotator. (BTW, stars can look very distorted in a OAG image, not to worry.)

I thought about trying a barlow on the refractor to increase FL, you might try that if you don't want to spring for an OAG.

Ed

Edited by Ed Wiley, 14 September 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#3 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 03:49 PM

I use a ShortTube 80mm f/5 guide scope on my HD-8. My 50mm 163mm FL guide scope was not perfect.

Consider that 0.1 pixel error on your guider might be 2 pixels error on your main OTA. Your guider will be proud of its work, but it isn't good enough.

My 80 mm is in Losmandy 108/66 rings which are very solid. http://store.losmandy.com/dvr108-66

BTW a "PrtScrn" on your laptop well take a much better pic than your cell phone.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics