•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8 + corrector vs Edge 8 + reducer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

How does the Edge 8 + 0.7x reducer compare with the C8 + f/6.3 corrector?

#2 jfrech14

jfrech14

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

If you mean the standard rear cell 6.3 reducer/corrector... the edge HD is far beyond that. If you mean a corrector from starizona or something... then it becomes more of a fair fight. The edge optics are amazing and it doesn't go unnoticed. 

• Gary Z likes this

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Visually, there's not much difference. The stars at the edge of the field with the Edge and f/7 reducer are noticeably better, but it is not like night and day. OTOH, the field is a little wider with the Jim Riffle designed Celestron reducer/corrector (which IMHO is better visually than its competition), but it is not like night and day.

For the average person, a standard SCT and the 6.3 r/c still makes a lot of sense.

• Gary Z likes this

#4 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

How about for imaging?

#5 jfrech14

jfrech14

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

My comment was for imaging, which is why people typically buy the edge scopes, even though they're visually great too. Imaging... I can't help but to say I'm team edge. I've owned 2 edges, 2 lx200 and 1 cpc and the edge is perfect. I've had issues with the reducer and my 8300 sensor because the backfocus is really critical when the reducer is in. But it's still amazing. I just expected it to be a bit easier and I was pixel peeping. I never got anywhere near as nice of a field on the normal scts, especially with the small rear cell reducers. My friend is getting the starizona reducer for his c11 so I'll soon see how well it corrects. But, I expect it to be good as well

Edited by jfrech14, 14 September 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#6 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

In my experience for both imaging and visual the EdgeHD is a much better system. The cooling vents and mirror locks are also really useful.

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:53 PM

Although I didn't care for either (visually), I found the EdgeHD/0.7X combo better ad of course more $$$$.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics