•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 1100 Random Slew

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

I have celestron 1100 HD telescope , and I have the problem of random slewing and does not stop if starts till to switch off the scope

and as many suggests the problem from the power, I changed the battery from Lithium celestron pack to celestron powertank and still the problem not fixed

any other suggestions ?

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

Open up the alt deck and pull that gremlin out of there.  Make sure it doesn't get in the Alt arm.   Seriously, I haven't a clue, but would turn off cord wrap and see if that makes any difference. 

Might also try updating the hand controller .  https://www.google.c...ent=firefox-b-1

jd

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

A clue is that your signature mentions SkyPortal I-Pad Pro. Are you using WiFi?

Wild slews are symptomatic of Celestron WiFi connectivity problems. Early SkyPortal external WiFi accessories emit a signal identified as 'SkyQLink. The latest version emits a signal 'Celestron xx' where the 'xx' represents a number between 1 and 256. The latter signal is 20x stronger and the chip was manufactured by Zentri Ppty. The number is designed to create multiple combinations to help avoid conflicts due to "Internet clutter". Early versions (and in early Evolution mounts) were notorious for this problem. It is one reason never to buy a second-hand SkyPortal external WiFi accessory.

First step, see if the performance problems exist when using the hand controller. That narrows it down to WiFi/Tablet. If you are using Direct Connect, instead try Access Point Mode. Mike Swanson's book contains other WiFi improvement tips. But if your WiFi signal is 'SkyQLink', ask your retailer to replace your SkyPortal external WiFi accessory if still in warranty. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 14 September 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Migwan likes this

#4 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:00 AM

A clue is that your signature mentions SkyPortal I-Pad Pro. Are you using WiFi?

Wild slews are symptomatic of Celestron WiFi connectivity problems. Early SkyPortal external WiFi accessories emit a signal identified as 'SkyQLink. The latest version emits a signal 'Celestron xx' where the 'xx' represents a number between 1 and 256. The latter signal is 20x stronger and the chip was manufactured by Zentri Ppty. The number is designed to create multiple combinations to help avoid conflicts due to "Internet clutter". Early versions (and in early Evolution mounts) were notorious for this problem. It is one reason never to buy a second-hand SkyPortal external WiFi accessory.

First step, see if the performance problems exist when using the hand controller. That narrows it down to WiFi/Tablet. If you are using Direct Connect, instead try Access Point Mode. Mike Swanson's book contains other WiFi improvement tips. But if your WiFi signal is 'SkyQLink', ask your retailer to replace your SkyPortal external WiFi accessory if still in warranty. 

No I don’t  use wifi , that just an app I have to check night sky

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:48 AM

No I don’t  use wifi , that just an app I have to check night sky

If your HC and Motor firmware is up to date and you are not using WiFi, and power supply is sufficient, that might suggest some mechanical glitch. You will then need help from Celestron Support unless one of the telescope mechanics in Cloudy Nights can assist. Try posting your question in the Equipment and Telescope mechanical forums. Somebody curious in there will have dismantled a CPC 1100 and might have the answer. 

#6 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

Well, here is something that just happened to me that might be related.  I was using the scroll arrows when the down arrow got stuck and would not let me select between the options in that menu.  Had to monkey around with that button to get it to stop.  It did this a few times during the night, so you might want to check your slew buttons.  jd 

#7 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

Tried many and many methods and none work :( , probably some huge fault in inner mech

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

Typically the random slews on the CPC are traced back to either a poor power connection or a hand control going bad.   

The poor connection can be as simple as the center pin in the telescope base female power connector needing to be spread.  If you look in the base you'll see the center pin has a slit in it.  Take a small blade and slightly spread the pin to increase contact.   The issue is that the contact can be intermittent and cause issues like weird slewing.  Double check your power cord as well, you could have a cord with broken wires causing voltage/amp drops.  If you have a multi-meter check the ohms reading on the cord as you move the cord around.  Also check the fuse in the cigarette plug end of the cord to see if it is showing any issue.  

The design of the CPC splits the brains of the telescope between the hand control and the telescope base.   If you have the computer control connector I suggest plugging it in and using the Celestron software to check and update both hand control and base.    If your hand control is going bad and you have the older style without the mini-usb connector now would be a good time to upgrade.  The $100 pricetag isn't awful.  But if you have anyone nearby who has a cpc you might be able to borrow their hand control during an observing session to see if it eliminates your problem.   

I picked up a 2nd hand CPC1100 last month and had to replace the handbox, power port and switch to get it back working right.  

• Migwan likes this

#9 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

Typically the random slews on the CPC are traced back to either a poor power connection or a hand control going bad.   

The poor connection can be as simple as the center pin in the telescope base female power connector needing to be spread.  If you look in the base you'll see the center pin has a slit in it.  Take a small blade and slightly spread the pin to increase contact.   The issue is that the contact can be intermittent and cause issues like weird slewing.  Double check your power cord as well, you could have a cord with broken wires causing voltage/amp drops.  If you have a multi-meter check the ohms reading on the cord as you move the cord around.  Also check the fuse in the cigarette plug end of the cord to see if it is showing any issue.  

The design of the CPC splits the brains of the telescope between the hand control and the telescope base.   If you have the computer control connector I suggest plugging it in and using the Celestron software to check and update both hand control and base.    If your hand control is going bad and you have the older style without the mini-usb connector now would be a good time to upgrade.  The $100 pricetag isn't awful.  But if you have anyone nearby who has a cpc you might be able to borrow their hand control during an observing session to see if it eliminates your problem.   

I picked up a 2nd hand CPC1100 last month and had to replace the handbox, power port and switch to get it back working right.  

I'll check the pin and I'll get back. one question as the powetank celestron said for first time to charge the battery 15 hours , however when I charged for 4 hours it said ready to be used , do I keep charge the tank till 15 hours ?

#10 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

I'll check the pin and I'll get back. one question as the powetank celestron said for first time to charge the battery 15 hours , however when I charged for 4 hours it said ready to be used , do I keep charge the tank till 15 hours ?

Check it out and widen the **** in the port and no change. I noticed something when I swab the battery as I have two celestron tank and celestron lithium

When i hook the lithium celestron battery and not fully charged I observed the scope turning directions not in good manner as it slows and quick response and switch back to tank goes back good, when I align Mars for example it stays for two minutes and then randomoness started , and then I noticed 15 minutes later I cannot align as battery is less ? my question is how many hours do I have to charge the battery ? the powertank and lithium ?

#11 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

Check it out and widen the **** in the port and no change. I noticed something when I swab the battery as I have two celestron tank and celestron lithium

When i hook the lithium celestron battery and not fully charged I observed the scope turning directions not in good manner as it slows and quick response and switch back to tank goes back good, when I align Mars for example it stays for two minutes and then randomoness started , and then I noticed 15 minutes later I cannot align as battery is less ? my question is how many hours do I have to charge the battery ? the powertank and lithium ?

These batteries typically need to charge 8-14hrs depending on the state of discharge . 

You need to run a voltage meter reading at the end of the connector cord to see how much voltage is getting to the mount.   Low voltage (below 12v input) makes them do strange things.  If you can find an AC to DC adapter 12v/~5A with a 2.1mm connector I would try the AC from your house and see if anything weird happens.

If you're getting good voltage through the cord to the mount,  the power switch could be going bad and drawing poor current to the mount.  I had to replace mine.  It uses a 4-prong 3/4" SPST switch with LED.  These are very cheap made switches and Celestron should be ashamed for using such lowgrade switches on it's mounts.  Sadly the design of the PCB board and switch combo means you can't substitute standard switches in place easily.  

#12 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:41 PM

These batteries typically need to charge 8-14hrs depending on the state of discharge . 

You need to run a voltage meter reading at the end of the connector cord to see how much voltage is getting to the mount.   Low voltage (below 12v input) makes them do strange things.  If you can find an AC to DC adapter 12v/~5A with a 2.1mm connector I would try the AC from your house and see if anything weird happens.

If you're getting good voltage through the cord to the mount,  the power switch could be going bad and drawing poor current to the mount.  I had to replace mine.  It uses a 4-prong 3/4" SPST switch with LED.  These are very cheap made switches and Celestron should be ashamed for using such lowgrade switches on it's mounts.  Sadly the design of the PCB board and switch combo means you can't substitute standard switches in place easily.  

I'm kinda sure that the issue is the power 90 % as how the scope behaved when checked the batteries and tried different methods. Is there a way to use car battery to be hooked on the celestron powertank ?

#13 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

I'm kinda sure that the issue is the power 90 % as how the scope behaved when checked the batteries and tried different methods. Is there a way to use car battery to be hooked on the celestron powertank ?

Yes, pretty simple.   This is what you need to jump straight from a car battery.  Just plug in the cigarette end and you're set.   Red positive post Black negative post. 

power adapter battery.jpeg

Edited by carolinaskies, 18 September 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#14 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:40 AM

Yes, pretty simple.   This is what you need to jump straight from a car battery.  Just plug in the cigarette end and you're set.   Red positive post Black negative post. 

attachicon.gif power adapter battery.jpeg

So that is adapter , just plug the black and red on car battery and cigarette end to the scope. I mean the car battery is not installed in the car. Buy it alone and that is it .

#15 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

IMPORTANT - red and black are hard to differentiate at night with a red flashlight. If you reverse the polarity and power up the scope you WILL cause costly damage to the electronics.

Here is my article on power sources:
https://www.nexstars...owerSources.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#16 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

I tried everything and no success I think internal issue is the problem I’m thinking of deforking the scope and buy equatorial mount any suggestions

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics