•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WX 10x50, A Brief Review

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#26 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

Higher mass = greater inertia = reduced higher-frequency shakes. (Until cramping muscles quiver like jello on a load-imbalanced clothes washer on the spin cycle. ;) )

• Swedpat, alpha_centauri, Grimnir and 5 others like this

#27 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:30 AM

Higher mass = greater inertia = reduced higher-frequency shakes. (Until cramping muscles quiver like jello on a load-imbalanced clothes washer on the spin cycle. wink.gif )

dream dasher

frown.gif

• Albie and jay.i like this

#28 Kimmo Absetz

Kimmo Absetz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

Here are some results (the reading from target is converted to resolution in arc-seconds):

attachicon.gif res1.jpg

I did validated the results using Gamma Delphini (9.6" sep) and WX did resolved it.smile.gif

Vostok,

I've done similar resolution testing on Canon 10x42 & 15x50 as well as some non-stabilised binoculars, with essentially similar results. Most binocular users I know refuse to believe there would be that big of a benefit from IS, but there is. I would love to have the WX, but cannot justify the cost as I have many other hobbies in addition to optics. As is, the 10x42 IS L will have to do, and does it nicely.

Kimmo

• CAAD9 likes this

#29 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

Yes, I was not able to believe it either, when I first heard about WX is more stable than other lighter 10x bins. But it is easy to test out. Following is the setup I used several month ago (which result eventually caused me to pull the triger on WX, so think before doing itfrown.gif ), I added a 1.5kg counter weight to the center of gravity of 10x42, which makes it a 2.5kg 10x42. The weight can be quick released, and I tried it on and off for several days. I do find it is more stable while easier to get tired too, but I can take such trade off.

attachicon.gif IMG_0768.jpg

After receiving WX, I did a resolution test with USAF1951 target, like following

attachicon.gif IMG_0566.jpg

Here are some results (the reading from target is converted to resolution in arc-seconds):

attachicon.gif res1.jpg

I did validated the results using Gamma Delphini (9.6" sep) and WX did resolved it.smile.gif

I was wondering where you got the USAF test chart.

#30 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

I was wondering where you got the USAF test chart.

I found it years ago on internet...I printed it in reversed color which I think might be closer to star spiting scenarios.

But the glass based USAF chart is best in terms contrast (which gives best possible resolution readings) and I got one to test in door.

Attached Files

• jay.i and j.gardavsky like this

#31 Fivemileshigh

Fivemileshigh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:03 AM

I did doubt if I can hand hold WX stable enough. As some reviews in Japan says it's a tripod mounted equipment. But surprisingly, they are VERY VERY hand hold-able binoculars! In fact, I have never opened the bag of the tripod connector since its arrival! Based on my on

You might want to try a solid tripod setup with a good video head or alt-az mount. If you let the vibrations settle out, you will see so much more it will amaze you. I never handhold mine anymore.

#32 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

You might want to try a solid tripod setup with a good video head or alt-az mount. If you let the vibrations settle out, you will see so much more it will amaze you. I never handhold mine anymore.

Thanks for your comments, and I've been there are done that....

Just as per the resolution test on hand hold against mounting, I can get 1" more resolution out of WX, constantly (hand hold peak resolution only comes once in a while when I took a deep breath). And as a matter of fact, this applies to all hand hold binoculars, and any other 10x non-is bins will gain more than WX. But with that being said, it is really personal preference on if using a 10x binoculars mounted or hand hold, which are trade offs on both sides.

As I mentioned, to me, WX is the best hand hold astronomical binoculars I ever used, but it is not the best mounted astronomical binoculars for me. While WX is mounted, I simply can't scan the milky way galaxy from one horizon to horizon without moving/adjusting the tripods or my seat. Which makes me feeling hard to enjoy its wide FOV. On the other hand, if I want to look into details of a single object, I can go much deeper with my 70mm or 150mm binoculars mounted, and both of which will give a 80~100 degree immersive AFOV. So as a result, WX is more like a scanning tool to me, which is used to enjoy the relaxed wide star field, and can be put into a small carryon with a folding chair (I do business trip a lot to dark zones, and mounted stuff is just too much for this kind to trip)

IMG_1521.JPG

Edited by kcl31, 24 September 2018 - 03:19 PM.

• Erik Bakker, ianatcn, tropical and 2 others like this

#33 dries1

dries1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

Kcl31

Nice strap on a truly iconic glass. This is one of the premium glass from Nikon I do not own, must save those $$$$. Thanks again for the review and of course the photos.

Andy W.

Edited by dries1, 24 September 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#34 StarDustBin

StarDustBin

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lisbon

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

Awesome looking binoculars! drool5.gif Must be a visual delight to look true those Nikon lenses! 

#35 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:23 AM

I totally get kcl31 not wanting to tripod it or that the greater mass (as long as it's balanced- which I'm sure it is, like you know, perfectly ) makes it viable handheld. I can hold the Nikon 7x50 IF Tropical much more steadily than modern 8x42 roofs with half the mass.

Nevertheless the 10x42L IS is where I too must stop.  Still, love the fact others have these beasts. waytogo.gif Keep posting!

• kcl31 likes this

#36 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Got custom sized 55mm UHC filter from Delta Industries, seems very good quality and test curves are similar to those from lumicon. These should help a lot on the large defused targets such as heart and soul, california and barnard's loop...etc´╝îwhich in my opinion, are the best targets for WX over bigger binoculars. Just need another clear night to test under dark skies....

IMG_1586.jpg

• davidmcgo, Mr. Bill, Erik Bakker and 8 others like this

#37 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

Look forward to that report!

#38 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Best targets, but for the money there are better (similar sized) tools for seeing them.
Peter

#39 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:32 PM

Best targets, but for the money there are better (similar sized) tools for seeing them.
Peter

I agree, most of these targets are still well inside 4~5 degree FOV range, and my home made 13x70ED with 6 degree FOV can also do great job on seeing these kinds of defused nebula, though need to be mounted.

However, being able to see the composition of those nebula with contexts while have good level of detail are something special that I don't see other equipment can do well.

• trener likes this

#40 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Another quick update:

Brought WX and 15x50 IS to the fleet week air show in backpack. I was assuming the 10x wide view and 15x vibration free view would have a good match in this application. However, very soon I find out the sharper/ higher contrast wide view of WX easily wins, for me. The view is steady enough in WX to get details such as numbers printed on the tails, while the wide view showing the entire formation action is astonishing. Its 9 degree FOV also helps a lot on quickly locate the jets when they pass by over my head while 15x50 always trends to miss the first part of the actions.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

Edited by kcl31, 08 October 2018 - 02:38 PM.

• Erik Bakker and tropical like this

#41 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

I am a fan of air show!

#42 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

Great to hear their wide field works so well during the light of day AND with fast moving targets too!

#43 StarDustBin

StarDustBin

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lisbon

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

The Zuiko 250/2.0 ED-IF does not look bad either. waytogo.gif

#44 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

The Zuiko 250/2.0 ED-IF does not look bad either. waytogo.gif

It's a Zuiko 180/2, 250 is too hard to find for mefrown.gif

• StarDustBin likes this

#45 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

Great to hear their wide field works so well during the light of day AND with fast moving targets too!

We were in tree shadow and have sun glasses, so no back light issues found...

One thing too complain though, is that the WX did make my neck tired with the traditional strap and sitting for about 5 hours, I should bring the X strap instead (which is proven good for all day wearing with WX)...

#46 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

For me, the big achievement is no black-outs during day time observing. No easy thing to correct in a wide-angle eyepiece.

#47 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

For me, the big achievement is no black-outs during day time observing. No easy thing to correct in a wide-angle eyepiece.

Also called as Spherical Aberration of the Exit Pupil or Kidney Beans.

Eyepieces with very wide field (>76 degree) and using binoviewer/ binocular telescopes or the WX binocular you still have some 'blackouts' because you can not see the left or right edge of the field with both eyes.

#48 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

It's a Zuiko 180/2, 250 is too hard to find for mefrown.gif

With Canon 2x teleconvertor confused1.gif confused1.gif

#49 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

With Canon 2x teleconvertor confused1.gif confused1.gif

I use Canon DSLR, and the OM lens is converted to EF mount..
  • StarDustBin likes this

#50 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:10 AM

No doubt this will come across as crass, boorish and infantile, but that is one sweet piece of glass.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics