•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yes, but how does the world look in Narrowband?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Samir Kharusi

Samir Kharusi

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oman

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:48 AM

Just received a full spectrum modded Canon SL2 from Hap Griffin, so started playing with it. Below are frames taken using a UV/IR Blocker on the left and an STC Duo Narrowband on the right (10nm passbands at OIII and at H-alpha). White Balance set using one of the white plastic pieces in the frames themselves, i.e. as Custom as one can make things. Just thought I'd share...

168142573.jpg

I used a Canon 50mm/1.4 lens and, frankly, I was expecting Red/Teal fringes to be prominent, but surprisingly, the lens acquitted itself quite decently; no fringes even at 1:1 inspection.

Edited by Samir Kharusi, 19 September 2018 - 03:52 AM.

• whwang, happylimpet and TieDyeAstronomer like this

#2 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

Thank you for sharing.  This is very interesting.

What strikes me is that the green leaves are all gone, while the other things look more or less OK.  

#3 Samir Kharusi

Samir Kharusi

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oman

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:15 AM

Another tidbit: exposure for the Duo-NB is 15x greater than for the UV-IR cut. That's a lot of skyfog held back!

#4 randcpoll

randcpoll

Mariner 2

• Loc: New York

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

How interesting! Your last post explains the excellent saturation in the narrow band image. Thanks for sharing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics