•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar imaging mount -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

Hello all,

Some more questions about solar and eventually planetary imaging. 

I am trying to figure out what kind of mount will work for solar imaging. I am thinking of getting Coronado PST for solar imaging and eventually may add either a 90mm or a 127mm Mak for planetary. 

For solar, I am not sure if I need a mount with any kind of tracking - will something like the AZS mount from Coronado work? 

I may eventually need something like a CEM25 or maybe even an EQ3 with motors - but I will wait till I get a planetary scope. 

Do please let me know if I am no the right path.

PS: BTW, the only reason why I may not get the EQ3/CG4/CEM25 right now is because of financial considerations. 

Thanks and CS!

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

Given imaging at this kind of image scale typically requires video capture for 2-3 minutes (perhaps less for the really bright sun), why would you NOT want tracking capabilities?

#3 Starrynightsky

Starrynightsky

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi, as for the mount I use the new skywatcher Solarquest Mount. It's a dedicated mount that finds and tracks the sun. Brilliant piece of kit. I use it with my 60mm lunt. As for the coronado pst, I've had that and found it hard to get proper focus. I evetually went for a lunt 35mm, sadly no longer made but you can get second hand one's. I've since moved on to a 60mm lunt pressure tuned. Personally I'd go for lunt every time, other's may disagree. I do recommend the skywatcher Solarquest Mount 100%. Hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180710_175452.jpg
  • IMG-20180808-WA0001-560x992-280x496.jpeg

Edited by Starrynightsky, 24 September 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#4 ToxMan

ToxMan

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Grant's question is great...why not have tracking? Start with a good mount with aim being to piggy back or mount side by side, the paired OTAs, Mak and PST.

My current mount carries an 8 inch SCT, and refractor on top, either the Lunt 50, or if I'm doing lunar photography, 80mm Orion Shorty, which can also double as an autoguider, depending on the subject. Sometimes, the refractor is set up to use visually, while I'm imaging with the SCT. I can keep the 8 inch SCT covered and protected while doing solar, or put on a white light solar filter and get 2 kinds of solar images from both scopes. And, works fine if you are going totally visual.

Otherwise, you could have 2 separate, dedicated mounts, or an undersized mount that only gives you the option of switching out the OTAs for their particular subject.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics