•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starmax is here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:13 PM

My new scope is here(Skyview Pro 127mm)! Wahoo! :jump:

First impressions: The Skyview Pro mount makes the LXD55 mount look like a toy. :shocked: Especially the tripod legs.

The OTA makes the ETX look like a toy(I once had the ETX125). Nice to have metal instead of plastic.

The true test will be the optics of course, and tonight looks like it'll be cloudy.... :bawling:

I noticed the slo-mo knobs are flimsy. Are there any replacements I can buy out there? I'll check Scopestuff....

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:44 PM

Rob,
Congrats on the scope.
I think Focusknobs sells slow motion knobs for that mount.
Good luck with the weather.

Scott

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:09 AM

Looks like you'll be having a blast... once the curse if finally lifted, that is.

David

#4 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

I took it out last night. I didn't do a star test, just took a real quick look at Jupiter. Two bands, and a hint of a third. I'm thinking that I should have seen a bit more, but like i said, I didn't do a star test and I didn't observe for very long. I was using a 12mm Edmund RKE. I tried a 7mm first, but that was fuzzy.

NO IMAGE SHIFT! I was loving that. It looked a little bleached, but I think I need a "warmer" eyepiece like a Televue Plossl. Astromart...here I come.

#5 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:05 PM

Hi Rob,

I'm sure you'll enjoy the scope. Remember to give it time to acclimate to the outside temperature because the corrector is a fairly thick piece of glass.

A 127 should be an excellent lunar and planetary scope! Just don't try to use more magnification than the seeing will allow and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Good luck!

Don :usa:

#6 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

i can't wait to get out there again. may not be for days though...as much as i'm tired of hearing the joke about bad weather coming with a new scope-it's all too true. rain for the next few days here where i am.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics