•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need suggestions for a smartphone adapter that will work with a 55mm wide eyepiece

accessories beginner equipment Maksutov moon mount observing
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 erseavetir

erseavetir

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

Hello all! 

I've got the "Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 Maksutov" telescope and the "TS-Optics Altazimuth Mount GSAZ" mount for my moon fanatic father, thanks to the help I've got from the people of this forum on this post that I've created:

https://www.cloudyni...ed-suggestions/

With the 25mm eyepiece which came with the OTA and the help of the "Gosky Universal Cell Phone Adapter Mount" that he has, my father is able to take pictures and videos of the moon, such as this one (and he does this basically every day):

https://youtu.be/8Px3uugWnRk

For the eyepiece, I've recently ordered the Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece 8mm-24mm.  The problem with this eyepiece is that it's really wide. Apparently, 55mm wide according to First Light Optics Specs which will be too big for the Gosky Universal Phone Adapter. My father has an Android smartphone and he is only interested in recording the moon and I was wondering if you guys have any good phone adapter suggestions for me?

I've done some research and I was thinking of ordering the:

Celestron NexYZ 3-Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter:

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07D7V3B8M

or the 

Snapzoom Universal Digiscoping Adapter:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0169DL1F4

I am not sure which one of these would be a better fit or if there are even better options out there that are around the same price range. I've also read very bad reviews about these two adapters on multiple different sites and I don't want my father to suffer dealing with a bad phone adapter so I am trying to find the best fit for him. I guess I should also consider the 12-15mm eye-relief of the zoom eyepiece in which case I am not sure which adapter would be the best fit. What do you guys think?

Edited by erseavetir, 23 September 2018 - 08:29 PM.

#2 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

I got the  Celestron NexYZ 3-Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter and it works pretty good. Easy to adjust. These images are the first 2 images I took with it (bad phone camera though).

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180719_214247sm.jpg
  • 20180719_215101sm.jpg

• erseavetir likes this

#3 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

I know this is not a smart phone setup but if you have a DSLR handy you can grab this Baader T-Adapter which screws onto the top of the Baader zoom then get the specific T-Thread Adapter for your camera then you have easy eyepiece projection. I use this here all the time for Lunar, just drop in the diagonal and click away on the remote shutter. Easy and works well but you need a DSLR, perhaps you can find a used one at a decent price.

Peace...

• erseavetir likes this

#4 Jond105

Jond105

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

Celestron NexYZ all day. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4954.JPG
  • IMG_4993.PNG

• erseavetir likes this

#5 erseavetir

erseavetir

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

That's awesome, thank you guys! I've ordered my Celestron NexYZ after seeing the comments. Btw, while I got you guys here:

I bought my father the "ZWO ASI120 MC Camera" before but he couldn't make it work with his eyepieces as I mentioned in the post that I linked in my original comment and I couldn't get any satisfactory answers on that post since it was not in the Equipment part of the forum. My father couldn't get the Camera work with the eyepieces since the camera wouldn't attach to the eyepiece as you can see him from these pictures trying to explain to me the issue (with his Celestron zoom eyepiece that is now useless since my father says it has a fog inside that doesn't go away):

https://imgur.com/a/zP8aw8s

but I guess we can also use the camera without any eyepiece attached to it but we want to use it with the Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece now.

We know from this manual:

https://www.firstlig..._User_Guide.pdf

that the ZWO camera has an M42x0.75 (=T) thread and the Hyperion zoom that I bought has an M43 thread under the eyecup.

And I was recently suggested from someone to buy the "Baader Hyperion Eyepiece T-Adaptor (M43-T)" but the person who suggested this was not sure if I would need any M42 spacers/extension tubes to adjust the distance between the eyepiece and the camera. Also, I wouldn't know where to buy these tubes.

Do you guys happen to know about this?

#6 erseavetir

erseavetir

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

Btw, I've asked the same question to the First Light Optics customer representative SteveG and he unfortunately told me this:

"I cannot recommend using the ZWO camera with a Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece. The camera is intended for direct connection to the telescope. Please encourage your father to use it this way."

:(((

#7 wtd1114

wtd1114

Explorer 1

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

Re: ASI120, Baader Hyperion eyepieces

Yeah, I agree with the First Light Optics rep and would not recommend using the ASI120 behind the Hyperion eyepiece.  The ASI120 has a very small sensor to start with so the frames you capture will have a very small field of view and be very magnified.  Then you add the eyepiece and it will be really be magnified and possible blurry.

BUT- if you want to try, it is always fun to figure these things out.

I have Hyperion and Celestron Duo eyepieces and have attached them to a DSLR camera.  As you mentioned, if you get the M43 to T2 adapter ring, you will have a T2 connection on the Hyperion.  So in theory, it is possible to get it to work.  You can get T2 extension from pretty much any astro store or I got mine from Amazon.  Just search for T2 or M42 extension or spacers.  You can get an assortment set and try different length between the eyepiece and camera. You can stack rings together to get longer lengths.   I think this will be kind of trial and error.   For reference, a DSLR has a distance of about 50 to 55mm between the front of the T2 ring and the sensor.  You will need to fiddle around with your focuser to see if you have enough focusing adjustment to get the combination in focus.  You have to try different extensions and then try to focus.  You can do this in daylight and try to focus at a distant mountain or a radio tower.

Good luck,

Willis

• erseavetir likes this

#8 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

The ASI120 is probably meant to be used at "prime focus", which means the camera IS the eyepiece, and there's no baader zoom.

The ZWO camera whould have come with an adapter like this one:

HTB1QELHPpXXXXcLXXXXq6xXFXXXL.jpg

It screws on the camera's wide end, and gives it a "nosepiece" as if it was an eyepiece, so you can insert it directly into the telescope's focuser (as an eyepiece) to take pictures.

Used this way, your father's Maksutov, the camera will give a very zoomed in view of lunar details, see this simulation of the field of view.

To have the ability to zoom, you have to use afocal photography with the baader zoom and a normal camera (or smartphone in NexYZ adapter).

#9 erseavetir

erseavetir

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

Thank you guys, come to think of it, my father would probably prefer to use his phone anyway and I am sure he'll be amazed by the NexYZ since it will be very superior to the cheap eBay adapter that he was using. He even tells me that it sometimes takes him an hour or two (or more) to get the moon in the view properly and get some good videos out of that. I don't know how he has that amount of patience but he is an absolute fanatic and the craters of the moons look like flying pigs to him I guess :D Hopefully, this NexYZ will make everything way easier for him and that he'll love the zoom eyepiece as well which I am sure he'll love since he loved the cheap Celestron zoom eyepiece a lot. Thanks again guys!

• Jond105 likes this

#10 Jond105

Jond105

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:40 AM

If once you get it and you don't understand something about it feel free to message me
  • erseavetir likes this

#11 erseavetir

erseavetir

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:45 AM

If once you get it and you don't understand something about it feel free to message me

Will do, thank you Jond!

• Jond105 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, equipment, Maksutov, moon, mount, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics