•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

To CRS or not CRS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:03 AM

I have an older Mewlon-250 but I also have a currently uninstalled CRS-baffle and I’ve been going back and forth as to whether or not I should install it.

I mostly use my Mewlon-250 for visual, binoviewing with a Baader Mk V and a 1.7x GPC. My current minimum magnification is 125x with 40mm Vixen NLVs and I recently sold my 35mm Panoptic so I don’t have much of an interest in putting a large low Mag eye piece in it.

So far I have only once put my QHY163M on the Mewlon and the aberrations made it so bad that the image couldn’t even be plate solved! I know I was far from optimal focus which would have made it worse but still, no corrector in a DK for imaging is a bad idea!

As I said, I’m mostly a visual guy with this scope at 125x+ with plossls so I’m only really using a small correctedfield on axis. I would like to use it for some higher resolution photography in the future which is a definite Pro for the CRS.

What I do wonder however is whether installing the CRS baffle is going to cause issues with binoviewing planets and the moon. To binoviewing after the corrector installation, I’ll effectively have the focuser racked all the way in, a long long way from optical focus point with the corrector.

So, what do ya’ll think?

#2 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:46 PM

Install it.  I did on my Mewlon 250 and maybe I'm picky but it made visual observing so much nicer.   Coma bothers me even on the edges.   The CRS is a work of art.  I can't talk about binoviewing cause I don't do it.   The folks at Texas Nautical can probably answer that question.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics