•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finder scope question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

Guys-

I find my neck requires a right angle finder scope.

I am looking at the  Celestron Illuminated RACI Finder Scope 93781. But from the pictures, I can't really tell how it mounts on the scope. One referenced a Dovetail type base, but none of the pictures show exactly how it attaches to the scope.

I have an iOptron 200 OTC with the usual finder scope bracket attached.

Am I going to have trouble sliding this on my scope? Does it come with a Base that swaps out with my base already installed?

I know it sounds like a dumb questions, just don't want to order it and find I can't use it.  Below are pictures of the Finder scope as well as a picture of my exiting bracket.

bomb.jpg bomb1.jpg

Pesse (Thanks in advance for any help) Mist

#2 Mike W.

Mike W.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

Morning, ok first off the Celestron base or mount is a heavy one, the Synta shoe in the second picture won't work with it.

I would suggest https://optcorp.com/...inderscope-7020

or something with a Synta foot on the mount.

Sometimes they come up in the classifieds fairly inexpensive.

This is another option https://optcorp.com/...ope-and-bracket

it's not an illuminated one but if cash is tight it'll do in a pinch.

Edited by Mike W., 25 September 2018 - 09:39 AM.

• Pess likes this

#3 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Morning, ok first off the Celestron base or mount is a heavy one, the Synta shoe in the second picture won't work with it.

I would suggest https://optcorp.com/...inderscope-7020

or something with a Synta foot on the mount.

Sometimes they come up in the classifieds fairly inexpensive.

This is another option https://optcorp.com/...ope-and-bracket

it's not an illuminated one but if cash is tight it'll do in a pinch.

Thanks. I have a similar mount for my original finder scope but I kind of detest it.

I wonder it the base for this can be swapped on the OTC for the Synta shoe?    They show a base for this as an optional purchase. Looks like it might fit?

Pesse (Good morning to you too!) Mist

#4 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Viking 1

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

You cannot swap it out.

Your existing hole pattern on the Synta shoe is 2 holes running parallel to the shoe.

The Celestron is a 2 hole pattern (to fit the original holes on a C8, C11, C14 and maybe C6) and runs in the opposite direction to the Synta holes. You could use it with one hole but I advise against it due to the weight of the mounting bracket and finderscope.

• Pess likes this

#5 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

You cannot swap it out.

Your existing hole pattern on the Synta shoe is 2 holes running parallel to the shoe.

The Celestron is a 2 hole pattern (to fit the original holes on a C8, C11, C14 and maybe C6) and runs in the opposite direction to the Synta holes. You could use it with one hole but I advise against it due to the weight of the mounting bracket and finderscope.

Thank you. This was a very helpful post.

Once I understood what I needed and what I had, a simple trip over to Scopestuff bought me a Synta-Celestron adapter for the scope.  It was half the price of the Base (that wouldn't work anyways).

So everything's ordered and I am happy to leave a note for the next one perplexed as I was.

Pesse (Scopestuff-the place for telescope knick-knacks) Mist.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#6 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

Where there's a will.,there's a way.,or an adapter.,or duct tape.,lol.

• Stelios likes this

#7 Napp

Napp

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

You can remove the finderscope from the Celestron mount and buy another mount.  I got a Celestron RACI and replaced the entire mount with a Meade/ES type mount to go on my LX200 or ES80ED.  Before anybody asks I just happened to get a good deal on the RACI and the replacement mount.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics