•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

'AllSkEye' All-sky Imaging Software (Windows)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hello!

Over the last couple of years I've been developing a Windows based application for the sole purpose of capturing and processing all-sky images. This app has now been stable for quite some time and grown a good set of features. In short it is designed to run unattended 24/7 and automatically manage the acquisition, processing and transfer of images and video files. Access to the software was previously only available through a private Yahoo group but I have now created a dedicated website for it which gives all the details and handles downloads and support.

So for anyone interested in taking all-sky images or building their own all-sky camera and looking for (Windows) software to manage the capture and processing, you could have a look at the website and see what it's all about (and download and test it of course). You can find it at:

http://www.allskeye.com

Kind Regards,

Mike

PS: It's free 🙂

• DeanS, psandelle, giorgio_ne and 5 others like this

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

No offense but how do we know the site and software are safe?

#3 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

(Smile) The site is safe, and the software looks pretty solid .. 

Nice job, looks pretty well designed and built, I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

#4 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

No offense but how do we know the site and software are safe?

None taken, you can't be too careful these days! smile.gif

I think there are a number of users who also post on here who have been part of the initial trial and have been using it for a while. Not sure if they will see this but if so I'm sure they will chime in. I haven't been posting here as I'm part of the SGL forum but thought the software might useful to people here too so hence the post.

In fact I almost forgot but if you look at the Starlight Xpress website it is the recommended software to use with the SX Oculus camera (it's in the news section just under the new cameras - it still points to the old Yahoo group but my name is there). The same is also true for ZWO ASI cameras. If you look at the recommended software table under 'Meteor / All-Sky' software you will also find it there.

Mike

#5 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

I have a question on file size, how do you keep from filling your HD when taking long exposures? I've seen this done but don't fully understand the storage of data.

#6 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

The app has a folder management function which can keep file growth in check by deleting older images and video files if the total space taken up exceeds a set threshold (or alternatively if the files gave reached a certain 'age').

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Mike,

I appreciate your reply and the references to the other sites, most helpful and takes some of the fear out of the expected "mouse clicks" lol.gif

None taken, you can't be too careful these days! smile.gif

I think there are a number of users who also post on here who have been part of the initial trial and have been using it for a while. Not sure if they will see this but if so I'm sure they will chime in. I haven't been posting here as I'm part of the SGL forum but thought the software might useful to people here too so hence the post.

In fact I almost forgot but if you look at the Starlight Xpress website it is the recommended software to use with the SX Oculus camera (it's in the news section just under the new cameras - it still points to the old Yahoo group but my name is there). The same is also true for ZWO ASI cameras. If you look at the recommended software table under 'Meteor / All-Sky' software you will also find it there.

Mike

#8 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

screenshots looks nice. pity i can never use it on my allsky camera because of OS.

#9 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

screenshots looks nice. pity i can never use it on my allsky camera because of OS.

Yes, unfortunately Windows programming is all I know so this is unlikely to change bawling.gif. There is be a possibility to connect to another OS via an INDI server but you are not really gaining much as the AllSkEye app will still need to run on a Windows PC.

#10 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

Very interested in trying your app out. I registered for your site earlier thia morning and still awaiting approval.

#11 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Can't get the staff!!! Should be done now smile.gif

It's not an automatic process (to weed out the spammers) so I have a look as and when I can to make sure approvals don't take too long.

Mike

#12 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

Just a quick note to say that the AllSkEye application has been updates a couple of times since the last post. The new features now include:

• Subframe (ROI) Capture
  • Improved recovery options after system failure
  • Custom font size setting
  • Bad pixel map creation
  • Hot/Cold pixel correction
  • Bug Fixes

The software can be downloaded from: https://www.allskeye.com

Season's Greeting!

#13 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

Its a great piece of software! Been using it with the all sky camera I built.

Edited by akulapanam, 01 January 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#14 JoshH

JoshH

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

This looks great, I'm looking forward to trying it out. 

#15 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

Its a great piece of software! Been using it with the all sky camera I built.

Thank you!

There now is a new AllSkEye preview version 0.9.12.0 available to test if anyone is interested/bored/feeling adventurous! Initially I only wanted to rework the 'bad pixel map' creation because the initial implementation didn't work so well but a few more features have managed to sneak in. Here is the list:

• Improved Bad Pixel Map creation mechanism and tab. Can now also be used to created dark frame for subtraction.
  • Weather data can now be fetched from OpenWeatherMap website API or from any device with an ASCOM ObservingConditions driver.
  • Weather data is displayed on new weather data tab.
  • Weather data will be stored in FITS header.
  • Weather data is available for text overlay e.g. the latest image can now double up as a basic weather display.
  • 'Prevent meteor detection during daytime' setting.
  • Camera temperature (if available) is now read and stored in fits header and available for text overlay.
  • 'Julian Day' variable now available for text overlay.
  • Text overlay variables can now be individually formatted.
  • Some bug fixes

The preview can be downloaded from https://www.allskeye.com/download/. I would really appreciate any feedback you might have on any of these features. If you are planning to run this preview, and can spare the time, please tell me about it once you've had some time to evaluate . A a short forum post in the 'preview Releases' sub-forum would be ideal https://www.allskeye...eview-releases/.

Thanks!

Mike

• akulapanam likes this

#16 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:50 AM

For info, AllSkEye Preview 0.9.13.0 is now available for download. The main additions are:

• A trigger mechanism which allows the execution of actions when certain conditions are met. This can be used to trigger scripts or executable files based on time or weather events e.g. fixed interval, at a certain time of the day, at sunset, when temperature reaches a certain threshold value, etc.
  • AllSkEye can now be installer via a Windows installer file
  • Other small changes. Please see download page for details.

The preview can be downloaded from https://www.allskeye.com/download/. I would really appreciate any feedback you might have. If you can spare the time, please tell me about it once you've had time to evaluate . A a short forum post in the 'preview Releases' sub-forum would be  great https://www.allskeye...eview-releases/.

Thanks!

Mike

• akulapanam likes this

#17 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Mike,

Great software - have been running it a little bit, very feature packed and capable. Up until now did not have a properly mounted all aky camera, but my home built one is now on my roof as of this weekend. I am a software developer myself, so I have lot's of respect for the large amount of work involved both in initially creating and then continuing to update and support a complex program as this. It really fills a niche though - not anything else out there like it, especially for free! Many thanks for that.

I have had some issues, I think most of them regarding driver issues for the QHY5L-II I am using for my camera. But the one AllSkyEye issue that I seemed to have uncovered is that I went to try to use the manual method of creating a movie from a night's worth of captures that had been converted to jpg files and I get a No input files found error message, even though the input folder specified is full of jpgs. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

ML

#18 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hello!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!

Did you set the input file type drop down to jpg (I'm not 100% sure but the default might be png)?

Mike

#19 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I did (and you are right it defaults to png...)

ML

#20 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:49 AM

Thanks, it might be easiest if you upload / send me one of the jpg images so I can check and see that the problem is. You can send it to (fill in the brackets): admin[at][appname].com

Mike

#21 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

Mike,

That sounds great. I'll try to do that later tonight.

Thanks for the excellent support!

ML

#22 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

I just installed ALLSKEYE (64- bit) on an Intel NUC/i7 running Windows 10/64-bit.  Also installed are

ASCOM 6.4SP1

Dotnet framework

SX64 bit drivers

SX ASCOM driver

I can run an Oculus camera with SX’s Oculus Camera program.   However,  I cannot see the camera with ALLSKEYE.

Any suggestions?

#23 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

I should note that I also tried the 32-bit version of ALLSKEYE (as suggested for the SX Oculus Camera).

#24 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Also,  I can get ALLSKEYE working with a ZWO All Sky Camera.

The error message I get with ALLSKEYE32 and the Oculus is

Unable to load DLL ‘SxUsb.dll’: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

#25 Mike_P

Mike_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Hello!

You need to use the 32bit version of AllskEye to run the Oculus (SX don't provide a 64bit version). Most likely you also need to install the correct Microsoft C++ Redistributable package. Please see the bottom of the page here for a download link (you need to install the 32bit version): https://www.allskeye...m-requirements/

Kind Regards,

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics