•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bortles 8-9 thread

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 dtsh

dtsh

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

When I lived in Chicago I was only blocks from Wrigley Field, skies don't get much worse than that as only the very brightest of stars were visible naked eye and it was often a challenge to spot even them. While there, I used a 6" dob frequently and introduced a large number of people to astronomy in the process. The Moon and most of the planets are visible as well as a large number of asterisms and open star clusters. There are even a few DSOs that can be discerned; though their appearance is markedly less pronounced than from darker skies. I moved there from Bortle 3 skies, so the transition was quite noticeable, but still there's plenty to see; enough to keep one active for a lifetime.

The look on someone's face when they see the Moon, Jupiter, or Saturn through a scope for the first time is a beautiful thing.

• Procyon, paul m schofield, SeaBee1 and 1 other like this

#27 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

I live in a Bortle 6 zone, which I am grateful for, but there is a lot of atmospheric pollution from smog and wildfire smoke during the summer and heavy moisture in the winter.  Sometimes, even on cloudless, moonless nights, the skyglow is still so bad I feel like I might as well be observing through oatmeal.

Thank goodness for all those bright objects everyone has mentioned.  I have also like others noticed conditions are better closer to the zenith and that the later the hour gets, the lesser the skyglow. 

Usually if I get out after a rain, I can get some good transparency.  Still want to go galaxy hunting but I'm going to have to wait for the right conditions.

• Procyon and Jond105 like this

#28 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:08 AM

I’m in a Bortles 6-7 last time I checked ... near Austin. But surprisingly I’ve been able to observe quite a bit. It can be a challenge but there can be some good stuff to see. Just have to get out consistently and go with what you have ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics