•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

interstellarum Deep Sky Guide Desk Edition

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

Thank you Ronald, I placed my order today for the Desk Edition with Amazon.com and it currently shows “Only 7 left in stock – order soon”.  It’s been a long wait for those of us who love collecting and using star atlases, but I’m sure it will be worth every minute!

I have the field and desk editions of your Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas and of course a copy of your masterpiece, the Atlas of the Messier Objects.  Thanks a lot for putting so much effort and care into creating this wonderful works! thanx.gif 

Ronald, I really enjoy your "Atlas of Messier Objects" it is a work of art and history. I have your Deep Sky Atlas and looking forward to your Deep Sky Guide.
  • Castor likes this

#27 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

Searching this publication on  Cambridge University Press found hundreds of results but not one were the  Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide.

Now crying . . . . 

• Castor likes this

#28 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

Searching this publication on  Cambridge University Press found hundreds of results but not one were the  Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide.

Now crying . . . . 

Do you mean this?

https://www.cambridg...n=9781108453134

Here is a link to the Amazon.com ad too, just in case:

https://www.amazon.c...=I16KLAZ9WV7GLX

Edited by Castor, 26 November 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#29 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

Got my notice from Amazon that my order has shipped.,and will arrive on Tue. Dec.4.,Got my fingers crossed.,If it comes USPS our driver brings it right to my door.,I give her cookies.,

• Castor likes this

#30 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Got my field copy today from Book Depository in the UK. Beautiful book and I'm looking forward to using it.

• Castor likes this

#31 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:19 AM

Well.,I got my copy.,First.,Amazon shipped it in a bubble bag.,same as they would ship a $5used book.,Second.,There was a different mail person that day and they folded the book in half and crammed it into the box.,When I opened it I found the upper left corner bent and the binder rings bent and the cover torn a little.,Guess who was not happy.,

Alas.,all is not lost.,After I chilled a bit I got to looking through this "Guide" book only to see it is much more (IMHO) a pretty picture book than any kind of guide.,It is sorely in need of a lot more on the information side of being a guide book.,I have other guide books and they have mostly text in them with a few pics or useful charts.,To me.,that is what a Guide book should be.,

If you want a book with lots of pretty pics.,this is a good choice.,If you want some basic info about the objects.,you will need to look elsewhere.,

I'm glad I bought it from Amazon because I can return it no questions asked.,

After waiting 2 months to get it.,I am pretty disappointed.,

I mean no offense to anyone.,if your happy with it thats great.,I was hoping for more of an informative book.,not a picture book.,cheers.,

• Ernesto.Nicola and SpyderwerX like this

#32 brentknight

brentknight

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

I just ordered mine so can't speak to your issues with it, but I'm looking forward to the pictures.  I have a number of guides that are filled with words, but are short on pictures, sketches and other visuals.  Just goes to show that no single guide will do everything...

• Castor and clearwaterdave like this

#33 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

I received my copy of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide Desk Edition today (in English, ordered from Amazon.com) and I’m very pleased with it, well worth the cost and wait!  IMHO, it’s a great companion to the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas and a fantastic photographic complement for DSO guides like The Night Sky Observer’s Guide or the Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects and a deeper and more vast, printed image compilation than the Deep Space Image Catalog.

Kudos on the authors for a fantastic job! waytogo.gif 

#34 brentknight

brentknight

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

If anyone cares, Barnes & Nobels has this on their website.  If you are a member, you can get 20% off -- get's the price down to $79.99.  Mine has been shipped and expected here on Monday.  We will see...

• Castor likes this

#35 djpontone

djpontone

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Castor: well said, just got mine LOVE IT !

• Castor likes this

#36 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:34 AM

Castor: well said, just got mine LOVE IT !

Thank you Djpontone, I’m loving mine too!

Here are a couple of low-res pictures of mine for those who have not seen any.  If you want to look at hi-res pictures from the book you can check at the author’s website here:

http://visualastronomer.com/preview-interstellarum-deep-sky-guide/

Attached Thumbnails

• Interstellarum-DSG-61b-Horsehead-Neb-crop-1100x768_152551.jpg
  • Interstellarum-DSG-27b-Andromeda-Galaxy-crop-885x768_150525.jpg

Edited by Castor, 08 December 2018 - 02:36 AM.

#37 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Would you risk taking the desk version out to your scope.

#38 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Would you risk taking the desk version out to your scope.

Oh yes, that’s what I intend to do! ubetcha.gif  The paper has a silk-like, non-porous surface that seems like it can tolerate some dampness, but only time will tell.

At any rate, I'd rather risk this fine image-catalog companion guide than other reference books, some of them nearly irreplaceable like An Atlas of the Andromeda Galaxy (by Paul W. Hodge), some of them expensive like The de Vaucouleurs Atlas of Galaxies, The Color Atlas of Galaxies (by James D. Wray), Planetary Nebulae (by Steven J. Hynes), Hartung’s Astronomical Objects for Southern Telescopes (by David Malin) and some of them large and heavy like the beautiful Atlas of the Messier Objects by the same author of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide (Ronald Stoyan). grin.gif  

If the field edition of the guide was more affordable, I’d probably had purchased one (I have the field and desk editions of the atlas) but at the current price (USD $178.72) it is out my reach for now. rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics