•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barnard’s Loop and the Horsehead

NV
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:43 AM

Just had a lovely session on the winter targets that are now coming into view in the early hours. These were the targets that I first tried out my NV monoculars when I got them in November last year so it’s nice to give them another go with the greater experience and better equipment I have now.

This was also the first proper go with my Harder Digital and chroma 5nm Ha filter. The views were fantastic - I compared side by side with my photonis 4g and 6nm Astronomik and the gap between the two setups is large.

The angelfish was clear and showed good detail with the Harder whereas the photonis was only just showing a trace of the nebula. On Barnard’s loop the full loop was clear and obvious whereas the photonis only showed the brighter top half. This was on 21.0 SQM skies. There was just so much nebulosity showing everywhere with the Harder which I haven’t seen like this before. Lots of new things to have a look at in greater detail in the future.

With my AP130GTX and 40mm plossl (with 5nm chroma) the views of the horsehead, rosette, monkeyhead, flaming star, heart, California, Pac-Man were also pretty fabulous.

All photos were with my Huawei P20 Pro, unprocessed, iso 50 and either 20 or 30 second exposure time depending on the object.

I’m really chuffed with my new kit! One of my best sessions ever.

Attached Thumbnails

• F4389FBC-D756-4CB1-8CF3-8CCFC387C5F0.jpeg
  • CA676717-A330-4C14-8182-DB04D22E39A8.jpeg
  • F872C155-E433-412A-BCAA-62DC78525492.jpeg
  • 1AA08392-6BE8-42AC-A790-2E56301A06F0.jpeg

Edited by Gavster, 07 October 2018 - 12:49 AM.

• Jeff Morgan, paulsky, Ptarmigan and 21 others like this

#2 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

More photos from the session 

Attached Thumbnails

• 950FBE21-616B-4A64-B5E1-42380E98300D.jpeg
  • 061EE19B-8652-4EBF-8C8B-694757C3E6BA.jpeg
  • A237BDF7-61D8-4659-94D2-9D6EC916B197.jpeg
  • D96BC811-22BD-4DA5-8909-91E662CDB561.jpeg
  • 7D31B3C6-4C8B-4087-BA36-B156F6182FB3.jpeg

• Jeff Morgan, Ptarmigan, GeezerGazer and 10 others like this

#3 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

And a final few more (not able to put them into one post due to size limits)

Attached Thumbnails

• 9B9060F2-7607-4E1E-936E-C86C625D95FA.jpeg
  • F63D0E2F-AB6A-4E6A-A08B-57A4B2803CC1.jpeg
  • B6FEAF35-94B2-4F23-8FDF-96D521070FA2.jpeg

• Jeff Morgan, paulsky, Ptarmigan and 15 others like this

#4 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:04 AM

Wow, some insanely good images with your gear here! It would be a joy to observe these targets through my large TS152 achro someday!

Bernard's loop particularly would be a sight as well.

Thanks for posting! 

• Gavster likes this

#5 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

These look great! How did you achieve the wide field images? 

• Gavster likes this

#6 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:29 AM

These look great! How did you achieve the wide field images? 

I just put my pvs-14 onto a mount and attached the normal phone adapter. This the enabled me to take a shot at 1x just like looking through the pvs-14 on its own.

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

Wonderful! Just two nights ago, I finally got 1st light with my Night Vision on the 36-inch telescope. And the resolution is GOOD! Direct to sensor at F/3.75, 135-inch focal length. Then the clouds came in... so that's all I have seen so far. I'll also be doing H-alpha and excited over that. This scope is a giant Dobsonian, in a dome. It has GoTo and tracking. I'm hoping I will be able to image with it. The tracking seems smooth, but not sure if that will be good enough for imaging.  Tom

• Gavster likes this

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:35 AM

Great Pics Gavster!

Barnard's Loop and Anglefish always thrill me. The loop was never on my bucket list because I never thought it would be possible to see it, so every time I do see it, I just marvel at it.   And the fish was never on my list because I did not even know there was such a thing!

Enjoy yourself out there!

• Gavster likes this

#9 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

Gavin, your results are quite stunning!  Thanks for posting these great images and congratulations on the success of your new NVD/H-a... clearly, the combination is working very well!  Those are some of the best Phonetography images yet posted!  applause.gif

Was the 1.25" Chroma 5nm H-a screwed directly into the barrel of the 40mm Plossl?  And, for the 1x, was it screwed directly to the front of the Envis lens, using the small, threaded adapter?  

The other question I have  smiley-char145.gif ... were you able to compare the 6nm to the 5nm using the Harder tube in your AP 130?  Or, was the comparison using the 6nm on the Photonis against the 5nm on the Harder?  I would be interested in seeing two photos of the same subject using the same tube with the two filters for comparison, using the same ISO and exposure.  This might distinguish the Chroma's superiority... or like my filters, they might look very similar.  I'm curious... if the Chroma filter is in some way superior to the Astronomik for imaging.  

• Gavster likes this

#10 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

Gavin, your results are quite stunning!  Thanks for posting these great images and congratulations on the success of your new NVD/H-a... clearly, the combination is working very well!  Those are some of the best Phonetography images yet posted!  applause.gif

Was the 1.25" Chroma 5nm H-a screwed directly into the barrel of the 40mm Plossl?  And, for the 1x, was it screwed directly to the front of the Envis lens, using the small, threaded adapter?  

The other question I have  smiley-char145.gif ... were you able to compare the 6nm to the 5nm using the Harder tube in your AP 130?  Or, was the comparison using the 6nm on the Photonis against the 5nm on the Harder?  I would be interested in seeing two photos of the same subject using the same tube with the two filters for comparison, using the same ISO and exposure.  This might distinguish the Chroma's superiority... or like my filters, they might look very similar.  I'm curious... if the Chroma filter is in some way superior to the Astronomik for imaging.  

Hi Ray, 

Thanks for the nice comments.

Yes I just screwed the chroma into the bottom of the plossl and for 1x used the small adapter to screw the filter directly on. 

I compared the harder plus 5nm with the photonis plus 6nm and on Barnard’s Loop the Harder was significantly better.

However I didn’t compare the 5 vs 6nm on the harder only at the Isle of Wight - too time limited. I did this test a few days ago so was comfortable I knew the result.

But I will try to do a direct phonetography comparison soon - I’m receiving a 2 inch chroma 5nm this week so that will make the comparison easier.

The Chromas are very well respected by imagers so I do think there is something other than bandwidth - saying that your Astrodon is not too shabby (!) so we should try to resolve this question...

#11 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

Wow, the best NV pics yet indeed! Just spectacular. Would definitely love to see comparison photos with same camera settings and filter to show how much better the Harder tube is. 

Nice work!

• Gavster likes this

#12 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

I still can't get over the Barnard's Loop Pic. 

Having the house in for foreground helps show the scale.  I try telling people how big it is, but I think it might be hard for them to really comprehend what I am trying to describe.  The picture with the corner of the house and the chimney in the same field is pretty epic.   I see Barnard's Loop, the Anglefish, M42, Flame, Horse Head Nebula, Rosette with the duckling nebula below it and some more.    Chimney blocked the Seagull I think. 

Galaxies seem so boring to me these days!

And look at how bright Horse Head and Flame are compared to some of these others, and yet we know that people struggle to see the Horse Head even in big scopes.

This is one of the most insane pictures I have ever seen for showing people the mind blowing reality of our galactic city park!

• Gavster and Adun like this

#13 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

Picture of Barnard's loop including horsehead, flame, M42 and the Rosette, with a roof and chimney in the foreground

Spectacular, epic!

#14 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

Maybe an Image of your set up would be helpful to the less informed... Pat Utah :)

• Organic Astrochemist likes this

#15 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:14 AM

Maybe an Image of your set up would be helpful to the less informed... Pat Utah smile.gif

Hopefully the article that I co-wrote with GeezerGazer and Moshen answers any questions you have about the setup and it also includes several photos of the equipment and setups that we use.

https://www.cloudyni...otography-r3149

#16 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:32 AM

I still can't get over the Barnard's Loop Pic. 

Having the house in for foreground helps show the scale.  I try telling people how big it is, but I think it might be hard for them to really comprehend what I am trying to describe.  The picture with the corner of the house and the chimney in the same field is pretty epic.   I see Barnard's Loop, the Anglefish, M42, Flame, Horse Head Nebula, Rosette with the duckling nebula below it and some more.    Chimney blocked the Seagull I think. 

Galaxies seem so boring to me these days!

And look at how bright Horse Head and Flame are compared to some of these others, and yet we know that people struggle to see the Horse Head even in big scopes.

This is one of the most insane pictures I have ever seen for showing people the mind blowing reality of our galactic city park!

Thank you Eddgie for your very nice words.

Having never seen Barnard’s Loop or the Angelfish nebula before I was completely gobsmacked at how clear they both were. I  started the session at about 2.30am and knew I only had about 2.5 hours before the darkness would start going away. So originally I had planned a very quick look at 1x before moving to the scope for greater mag views.

However, the 1x views were so stunning (just like the phone image) that I spent a lot more time than I expected just taking in visually this wonderful widefield view (with my phone camera staying in my pocket ). It was very relaxing!

I do like framing some of my widefield photos with the tops of buildings. I think this gives some context regarding the size and maybe makes the photo ‘feel’ more like the actual eyepiece view. These type of images may be unique to NV photography since for normal imaging you would require much longer exposures and so the building would be blurred. I’d be interested in people’s thoughts on this?

Edited by Gavster, 11 October 2018 - 02:55 AM.

• AllanDystrup and Lukes1040 like this

#17 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

The building gives it a feeling of "it's always been there", that packs quite a punch, makes the image so much more memorable

#18 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 56N 12E, Denmark

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

bigshock.gif  Gimme a sec...jawdrop.gif

Gotta pick up that lower jaw from the floor ...

• GeezerGazer, Gavster and pwang99 like this

#19 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

Now, I call that epic! cool.gif waytogo.gif bow.gif

• Gavster likes this

#20 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:24 AM

S&T had some similar wide angle h-alpha shots, one with a house in the foreground. Almost looked photoshopped. That work has turned into the MDW Survey, which we might need to start using as a reference work.
https://www.mdwskysurvey.org/

Peter

#21 Oyaji

Oyaji

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Very interesting!  Can you please supply a little more information about your "Harder Digital", i.e., model number and where you purchased it?  Thanks.  

#22 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:31 AM

The big wide field views are a unique and powerful draw of NV astronomy. My first time seeing the Orion region in H-alpha at low power was a very spiritual experience.

There are a lot of special triangles in the sky, but the Rosette-Angelfish-M42 triangle is my favorite.

#23 alanjgreen

alanjgreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbria, UK

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

However I didn’t compare the 5 vs 6nm on the harder only at the Isle of Wight - too time limited. I did this test a few days ago so was comfortable I knew the result.

But I will try to do a direct phonetography comparison soon - I’m receiving a 2 inch chroma 5nm this week so that will make the comparison easier.

The Chromas are very well respected by imagers so I do think there is something other than bandwidth - saying that your Astrodon is not too shabby (!) so we should try to resolve this question...

Gavin,

Please could you try the Chroma 5nm Ha paired with the Photonis and report if there is more visible nebula seen than when using the Astronomik 6nm Ha?

Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics