•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please help. I am running out of Sonotube, money, patience, etc.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 JimmyTrom

JimmyTrom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

No but I will try and contact Louisville Astronomical Society to see if someones has a set-up to see if it is Par or Spherical

#27 JimmyTrom

JimmyTrom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

EeeeeYouw says MiniMe.  How do I tell the difference?

#28 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• Loc: Decorah, IA, USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

EeeeeYouw says MiniMe. How do I tell the difference?

One way to tell the difference is to put it in a temporary "telescope" and point it at a bright star. (Polaris is bright and won't swing out of the field of view while you lean a couple sticks against a lawn chair.)

If the mirror is spherical rather than parabaloidal, then the spherical aberration at that fast focal ratio will probably make it impossible to focus a star to a point at high magnification.

In general the process is known as star testing, and it can give extremely detailed information on the precise "figure" of the mirror, but in this case, the crudest version of star testing will suffice to see if the mirror can form a decent image of a star, and at what magnification.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics