•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice to mount my 'Helios Apolo'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brambos

brambos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:30 AM

Hello everybody
2 weeks ago I bought a Helios Apolo 15x70 together with a Horizon 8115. I’m so glad and saw some
I’m some issues and I hope you can give me some advice and even if possible some specific solutions.

I’m so glad and saw some great objects. The Orion Nebula was for me the most wonderful until now.

Most of the nebula’s are just in the zenith (I guess that means just right above my head.
With a tripod looking 90° is almost impossible.
Well my budget is around 300€/$ for a setup.
-Would a monopod better? And what aspects do I have to look for? Do you sit with a monopod or standing? What height? And doesn’t slip the monopod? A monopod with a three little legs on the base?
Some suggestions?
-what do you attach on the monopod? I read so much options and it’s getting a labyrinth.
Ball heads, alt z, trigger and lock (what seems me nice),...
The thing is when I want to look higher, it’s possible. But when I get above 45° I can’t lock the position of the binoculars. I would like to look in the sky atlas to locate what star/nebula etc..
But after looking in the atlas, the binoculars are tilted and I can’t find it no more.
In Belgium we have a orange ring on the horizon. So I have to look higher.
The Helios’ weight is 2.5kg. Are some heads that lock sturdy enough to keep them in the position?
-DEW seems a big enemy for binocular. How do you prevent that....??

Thanks for reading and your time!

Edited by brambos, 10 October 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#2 brambos

brambos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:49 AM

:-/

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

I made this for my 15x70s.,works great.,$30 worth of pipe.,and a little bit of yankee inginuity.,lol..,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170411_131120(2)jpg.jpg

• CarlDD likes this

#4 brambos

brambos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

astrofabulous helpfull people here,

Topic can be closed

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics