•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears(Towa) #4-6340 Enhancements & Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

finder15.jpg

finder14.jpg

I will need to surf the web for others of its age, and older, and so to better gauge where to place it exactly.  I can't locate it forward to the point where it would interfere with the rings, and the balancing.  It will be directly in line where the original once was.  

• jcruse64 likes this

#52 tony_spina

tony_spina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted Yesterday, 12:08 PM

bow.gif  great work

Edited by tony_spina, Yesterday, 12:08 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#53 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted Today, 03:10 AM

Yesterday, I went out for some things.  I had these #4 round-head screws already, but I wanted the #4 flat-heads instead.  I also replenished my supply of #6 lock-washers...

riser hardware.jpg

riser.jpg

The screws will need be cut down, once I insert that assembly into the new holes that I'll need to drill into the optical-tube.

Instead of the clear spar-satin varnish, I got a can of clear-satin enamel for the tube-rings...

clear satin.jpg

It's been 24 hours since I blackened the rings.  I had sprayed on the equivalent of four to five thin coats, and two in sprayings, so I'm going to wait until during the day today to seal them.  I want the paint to be thoroughly dry.  Here they are hung up, and with a little paper roof to keep the dust off of them...

blackening3.jpg  

I saw the hammered-finish black in a rattle-can, but then they would appear as modern clamps.  They're already textured somewhat, and they sold that type of finish, too.  They also had clear semi-gloss, but I was afraid that that would appear too new as well.  The stainless-steel thumbscrews are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I had also picked up three #10 stainless-steel flat-washers, and a snap-ring kit...

snap-rings.jpg

It turns out that the 10-24 thumbscrews will need this size to make them captive...

snap-rings2.jpg

I do hope it works out.  I have no idea if I'll ever have a need for the rest of those.

Now you know why it took me two years to get around to getting this achromat ship-shape.  I knew it was going to be involved.  It was the mounting solution that held me back, and other aspects to a lesser extent.

If I had a furnace nearby, I'd chuck the original mount into it without hesitation.

Edited by Sky Muse, Today, 03:13 AM.

#54 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted Today, 03:39 AM

This is where the finder will be positioned, lengthwise, and as far back as possible so as not to interfere with the tube-rings and the balancing.  Gads, that red-dot is relatively enormous...

finder16.jpg

I've got to find a smaller red-dot.

#55 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Today, 08:01 AM

Just a thought . . .

You got rings to hold the scope to the mount.  Why not have used a second set of rings to mount the finder to? 

Like on a Sears 6339a:

Sears finder.jpg

That way you wouldn't have had to drill any more holes in the tube.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics