•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Space Rock?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tom1175

Tom1175

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsborough, NJ

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:37 AM

Good morning,

Wondering if anyone here can help identify this.  Dug it up a few years ago in my back yard.  Its 12 x 7 x about 2 inches thick.  It weighs in at 15 lbs, quite heavy for the size.

Any chance its a space rock of some sort?

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• Rock.jpg

#2 Astrolite

Astrolite

Mariner 2

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Check out this site and possibly take your rock to a university geology department. Those appear to be colloidal type fractures, such as found in chert or flint. Is it magnetic? That would be a rather large meteorite.

https://geology.com/...ification.shtml

Edited by Astrolite, 11 October 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#3 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

• Loc: texas usa

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

I don't think so but a quick test with a magnet will help confirm it.  It looks like a piece of quartz/chalcedony however it gets better than that. What you so have is a rock that has been altered by a paleo-indian for spiritual purposes.  The selective finger polished base of the rock and some at the top, is confirming.  This is in no way done through any natural processes. This is what I do and am quite experienced at spotting these.  They are extremely common throughout the United States and I am one of the few individuals in the country that not only collect them but have an in depth knowledge about them as well.  They are referred to as portable art and you can look it up on Wikipedia.  They have a serious spiritual component about them as that was the sole purpose for their creation.  They were used after a kill and rubbed in ceremony to help assist in the release of the animal's spirit into the spirit world.  All of them carry an inscribed animal image on them but they can be poorly defined as this one appears to be. However I believe that I can detect the image of a buffalo head with the nose, complete with a nostril, pointing downward toward the bottom of this image.  Note that the rock is so highly polished that it is reflecting light back onto the paper at the base toward the left in this image.   The bottom of the rock is highly polished from many many ceremonies from successful hunts. If you post the reverse for me I would be more comfortable about interpreting this particular piece further.  As far as I know these ceremonies as well as the use of potable art died off when all the megafauna was driven to extinction from overhunting worldwide.  The most common animal inscribed on potable rocks as well as the most hunted was the mammoth, the next in line was the bear which was probably hunted for it's fur (warmth-insulation) than it's meat. ---One last comment. See if you can display this rock by balancing the rock upright on the side with the smooth surface, that is another confirmation as these were usually placed on display within their campsites.

Edited by blc111, 11 October 2018 - 08:03 AM.

• mark8888, happylimpet, Dartguy and 1 other like this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:49 AM

It appears to be an iron meteorite but if it doesn't attract a magnet then I don't know what it is. It appears very unusual for a weathered rock.

#5 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

No, it's not an iron meteorite. An iron of that size would weigh considerably more than 15 pounds.

Lee

• mark8888 likes this

#6 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Vostok 1

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, cool rock!  Moar pics!

:)

ds

#7 Tom1175

Tom1175

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsborough, NJ

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for the info so far.  It isnt magnetic, that was one of the first things I tested.  I tried cutting it with a Dremel and it just burned the disc down and did next to nothing to the rock, so its extremely hard.  Below is a picture of the other side of it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Rock 2.jpg

• mark8888 likes this

#8 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

In this image it really does look like the edge may have been hand carved, as blc111 suggested might be the case.  I hope it's the case, I love that explanation!  Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a meteorite to me, either.

• lee14 likes this

#9 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for showing the opposite side.   Another commonality that most all spirit rocks exhibit as well is the color red.  It was either naturally incorporated into the rock as seen here (brownish-red stripe) or if not red ocher was rubbed into the rock to simulate the blood loss from the injured animal from the hunt. Primitive man held the belief that the spirit resided from within the blood. So.... as the blood flowed out of the mortally wounded animal so did the spirit as it left the body from bleeding out. Therefore, symbolically it was essential that the spirit rock had this color in order to perform the ceremony. Given the additional information that you have provided, I feel comfortable in saying that this rock was used in those ceremonies during the Pleistocene and that the smoothed areas of your rock were in fact the areas used for finger rubbing. I am less certain about the partial bust of this animal but it does have the characteristic of a bovine species given the shape of the head and  muzzle (probably a buffalo although there were many bovine species that were driven to extinction from overhunting during the late Pleistocene here in North America).  The borders of this bust are quite sharp, honed, relatively straight and distinct. There is also a small elevated area on the front side.  These relatively elevated area usually are a physical manifestation and symbol of the spirit which of course in reality can not be seen but here can be  illustrated. I have thousands of examples of  this and sometimes it is nothing more than a smaller version of the same figurine of the same creature on a smaller inscribed area.  If you live in the Southwest like I do...you are in luck because there is no digging necessary, as the landscape is littered with these.  Open your eyes and look for the above characteristics...you will be absolutely amazed at the number of these artifacts you will find and they will incorporate all the characteristics that I have listed above.  For the most part the academic community will eventual catch up to me but not any time soon.

• mark8888 likes this

#10 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for showing the opposite side.   Another commonality that most all spirit rocks exhibit as well is the color red.  It was either naturally incorporated into the rock as seen here (brownish-red stripe) or if not red ocher was rubbed into the rock to simulate the blood loss from the injured animal from the hunt. Primitive man held the belief that the spirit resided from within the blood. So.... as the blood flowed out of the mortally wounded animal so did the spirit as it left the body from bleeding out. Therefore, symbolically it was essential that the spirit rock had this color in order to perform the ceremony. Given the additional information that you have provided, I feel comfortable in saying that this rock was used in those ceremonies during the Pleistocene and that the smoothed areas of your rock were in fact the areas used for finger rubbing. I am less certain about the partial bust of this animal but it does have the characteristic of a bovine species given the shape of the head and  muzzle (probably a buffalo although there were many bovine species that were driven to extinction from overhunting during the late Pleistocene here in North America).  The borders of this bust are quite sharp, honed, relatively straight and distinct. There is also a small elevated area on the front side.  These relatively elevated area usually are a physical manifestation and symbol of the spirit which of course in reality can not be seen but here can be  illustrated. I have thousands of examples of  this and sometimes it is nothing more than a smaller version of the same figurine of the same creature on a smaller inscribed area.  If you live in the Southwest like I do...you are in luck because there is no digging necessary, as the landscape is littered with these.  Open your eyes and look for the above characteristics...you will be absolutely amazed at the number of these artifacts you will find and they will incorporate all the characteristics that I have listed above.  For the most part the academic community will eventual catch up to me but not any time soon.

How does the academic community currently differ from your view?  Just in the number of these rocks that are still around, or...?

So how long ago do you think this may have been used as a spirit rock?  12,000+ years ago...?

>Given the additional information that you have provided, I feel comfortable in saying that this rock was used in those ceremonies during the Pleistocene and that the smoothed areas of your rock were in fact the areas used for finger rubbing.

Based on the photos here, is there a possible alternative explanation?  Could this rock have formed like this naturally?

Intriguing stuff...

Edited by mark8888, 13 October 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#11 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:40 AM

It was a worldwide practice that was spiritually ingrained within early humanity itself for at least 500,000 years and probably much earlier than that judging from all the artifacts that I have collected and examined over the years.  The patterns are all the same with little exception. All rocks have reddish coloration to indicate blood loss and spirit loss from the hunted animal, often at the base of the carved animal on the rock but elsewhere as well. All rocks have a selected area that is smoothed from rubbing (usually small that will fit a finger perfectly) so much so it is often glass like and if it is sandstone like rock and lacks red, the red ocher is imparted and rubbed deeply into the grains of sand to the point it is relatively permanent.  This spiritual force was so powerful that as early humanity branched off from all it's many early prototypes (many who are now extinct), this bonding practice with the spirit world (recycling of animal spirits) was carried with it forward and intact to future generations uninterrupted.  I was stunned to find this out as I examined artifact after artifact and equally stunned that no one else had ever bothered to look at all the plentiful evidence and figure it out, even though the evidence was overwhelmingly abundant and hiding in plan sight. I guess no one else has my level of observation skills at least that is what my wife keeps telling me because I actually get upset about this.  I'm still dumbfounded over this fact. At some point during the the development of agriculture (which lent itself to a sedentary lifestyle) and at some point due to the poor results gained from this spiritual practice in attempting to generate abundant game,, this practice was discontinued  (6,000 to 10,000 years ago).  Having said this, this is an astronomy forum and as such I probably should not be laying out this thesis here but  elsewhere.  I will attempt to show some artifacts within this astronomy forum that are exclusive to "space rocks" or meteorites and tektites  (I have some beautiful Libyan glass carved into an elephant heads complete with a much smaller figures carved within (spirit) and of coarse hundreds and hundreds of meteorites carved into the shapes of mammoths and elephants (heads and full bodies) etc. from across the world.  By the way I sent a lot of pictures to the "starman", vendor and major contributor within this astronomy website.  I found out in a discussion that at one time he was an anthropology student and I thought he would find some select specimens (about 50) interesting to view.  He knows about my awesome collection...just saying.  In closing some of my favorite animal figurines were carved from the Neanderthals...they had awesome talent and the colored rock selection was superb as well.  BEAUTIFUL RED and YELLOW MOUNTAIN JASPER COMBINATIONS.  Just look at all the highly polished specimens up for sale on several bid sights.  If it is polished and most of them are, then...it's a spiritual piece.  I never could understand why people try to assign a tool use to these pieces as they completely lack any sharp edge for cutting or any type of micro-fracturing that would result from pounding or heavy duty utilitarian use. I guess everyone else is blinded by consensus thinking  This view escapes me.  These pieces come up for sale all the time on the internet on major websites,  KUDOS!  Brad 

Edited by blc111, 14 October 2018 - 04:28 PM.

• mark8888 likes this

#12 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

Here is a good example of an African meteorite from North Africamammoth af1.jpg that has been carved into the shape of an elephant.  Notice the ocher that has been rubbed into the one side but not the other. I felt it necessary to post this....after all we should be talking about space rocks here.

#13 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Second photo...mammoth af2.jpg

#14 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

Even though this is made from flint...it is so cool because it is a full body mammoth that had a vein of white material inherent within this flint specimen. It was brought out to the surface through carving and polishing to form the "spiritual head"  of a mammoth within the body of this brown mammoth figurine.  The brownish red nature of this specimen itself represents the blood released to the surface from numerous hunting wounds. Here it shows the releasing of the white spirit in the form of a white mammoth head complete with a trunk/tusk from within.......thus releasing this white spirit into the spirit world.  I almost teared up when I received this exquisite specimen from Europe. This specimen was collected from the Netherlands and dates back to themammoth in flint.jpg very late Pleistocene/early Neolithic period.

Edited by blc111, 15 October 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#15 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

This is entitled  " mammoth reaching for the leaves" .  It is a canyon diablo meteorite that came with a letter of certification from I.M.C.A. #8249. It is a carved full body mammoth complete with front and rear legs, head and body, with a complete extended truck directed upward as the body is about ready to elevate in order to grasp some hard to get foliage in a tree.  Look at the video on you tube of an elephant doing this very same1-mammoth reaching for the leaves.jpg 1-mammoth reaching for the leaves.jpg thing and you can clearly see why this paleo-indian was inspired to carve such a moment in time in the era of the Pleistocene. I'm in the process of making a little exhibit complete with miniature leaves to help recreate the moment. Enjoy the figurine...taken last night with my wife's phone.

• Lukes1040 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics