•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Black Hole Gang Reminiscence

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

Got one ready to go:

16in_Gone.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 08 October 2018 - 07:38 AM.

• tim53, rolo, Exnihilo and 3 others like this

#2 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

Got one ready to go:

attachicon.gif 16in_Gone.jpg

I love that stumpy mount.  Send it my way.

• AstroKerr likes this

#3 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Page, AZ US

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

WhoaWhoaWhoa! Wasn't that peach in Mad Max? Man - that's an idea-sparker...

no kiddin' - first glance I was wundrin' why you posted a barbecue pic, Jeff. I ain't the sharpest marble in the bag...

and Thank you, Andy =)

jim

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 October 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#4 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

It is a heavy guy, some of the details are here:  http://www.alpo-astr...h/Equ_Mount.pdf

The equatorial head alone weight 125-lb, but with weights and all it probably weighs around 230-lbs.  The whole 16" is around 600 pounds. Too much for me to carry around the Glades anymore  lol.gif waytogo.gif

• tim53 and terraclarke like this

#5 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

WhoaWhoaWhoa! Wasn't that peach in Mad Max? Man - that's an idea-sparker...

no kiddin' - first glance I was wundrin' why you posted a barbecue pic, Jeff. I ain't the sharpest marble in the bag...

and Thank you, Andy =)

jim

My obsolete and stored away astronomy toys:  http://www.alpo-astr...Observatory.pdf

Just too old to use them now.  Still have my 12.5" now for 40 + years.

• tim53 and AstroKerr like this

#6 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

So, now I've got steel barrel, primary cell on snap-band lid, same tuss setup, then another snap-band for the secondary assy, some pulleys and a couple 12v winches reconfig'd pull-pull for drives, another winch and a laddery lookin' deal on a castered triangle base for a slide-on-rails chair - all that on a slab and a small filtered exhaust gas-grill & lp-fridge on the windward edge - viola! O'douls, Wings & Stars! All for less than the cost of 1 schmancy anodized super mount. - that's what Jeff's 1st pitcher put in m' haid..

maybe truck axle eq and concrete counterweights cast in spun alu 'desk-side office' trashcans. seriously. I cast the base for our 1st pier (unfinished - steel for the pier's in the hall closet waiting for table space to be welded) in an inverted $9 35 gal wally world trash can. while typing, I'm wondering price and source for beefy enough steppers to drive the ~$200 chi-land reduxes and make the thing at least track if not goto - Darling darling has a homesite on the Rez where we could site it...

you haveta be careful wanderin' CN - you get ideas... good ideas... and helpful folk so's you can realize them ideas... them 24" f/10 18" f/12 f/10, well 'big' ideas... figger it out after the pads down..

that's on my project timeline now - 2021 - darling darling likes big scopes, she'll sign off on it...

lord - twitch-twitchtwitch - double it - put a gimbaled chair at the secondaries... hydraulic alt, electric pull-pull az - i could die starin' at Mxx in that at 97 and be happy as a whateverthingishappiest...

rockon.gif

maybe that's too much - single vision, then, gimbal chair, big dobs base - ehhhh - or both - darling darling'll hog the bino... she does that - hogs scopes - i deliver tasty beverages and the EPs - she never puts what she's gonna actually wanna use in the EP bandolier or EP belt what I sewed her - yeah I can sew AND crochet, too. That's on my mom - dad took off with our babysitter when I was 4 or 5 - he's a dink...

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 October 2018 - 09:33 AM.

• Vesper818 likes this

#7 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:35 AM

So, now I've got steel barrel, primary cell on snap-band lid, same tuss setup, then another snap-band for the secondary assy, some pulleys and a couple 12v winches reconfig'd pull-pull for drives, another winch and a laddery lookin' deal on a castered triangle base for a slide-on-rails chair - all that on a slab and a small filtered exhaust gas-grill & lp-fridge on the windward edge - viola! O'douls, Wings & Stars! All for less than the cost of 1 schmancy anodized super mount. - that's what Jeff's 1st pitcher put in m' haid..

maybe truck axle eq and concrete counterweights cast in spun alu 'desk-side office' trashcans. seriously. I cast the base for our 1st pier (unfinished - steel for the pier's in the hall closet waiting for table space to be welded) in an inverted $9 35 gal wally world trash can. while typing, I'm wondering price and source for beefy enough steppers to drive the ~$200 chi-land reduxes and make the thing at least track if not goto - Darling darling has a homesite on the Rez where we could site it...

you haveta be careful wanderin' CN - you get ideas... good ideas... and helpful folk so's you can realize them ideas...

that's on my project timeline now - 2021 - darling darling likes big scopes, she'll sign off on it...

lord - twitch-twitchtwitch - double it - put a gimbaled chair at the secondaries... hydraulic alt, electric pull-pull az - i could die starin' at Mxx in that at 97 and be happy as a whateverthingishappiest...

rockon.gif

maybe that's too much - single vision, then, gimbal chair, big dobs base - ehhhh - or both - darling darling'll hog the bino... she does that - hogs scopes - i deliver tasty beverages and the EPs - she never puts what she's gonna actually wanna use in the EP bandolier or EP belt what I sewed her - yeah I can sew AND crochet, too. That's on my mom - dad took off with our babysitter when I was 4 or 5 - he's a dink...

You can bet plenty of tasty beverages were consumed whilst building these guys.  No less than Don Parker and Bill Douglass brought chairs and ice boxes to the builds.  We were known as "The Black Hole Gang" for good reason.  

• tim53, Exnihilo, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#8 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Dude! Good Morning!

That really IS awesome!

BlackHoleGang.jpg

it is a pleasure and an honor, seriously, to meet you, sir!

just wow

• rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#9 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

I just don't know what to say - other than Thank You (and the Gang) for being motiviational, inspirational and sharing guys who've pushed the edge, maybe shown that there isn't an edge of possibilites, for amateur astronomy. All of you - irreplaceable steady-points, anchors, pathfinders, idea sparkers. No kiddin', I am humbled and inspired to do more, do better and I am wishin' I coulda been there to help on that build...

My granddaughter came back from Camp - they had a 10" Dobs, and the young lady teaching them mentioned the Black Hole Gang, and Ainsley asked me about you guys, and heck, i didn't know anything, so we googled - important thing is, the young camp astronomizer - she knew and she's passing that on to all the kids she teaches - so no one's gone, because no one's forgotten and The BHG mattered, still matters, and will matter for a very long time. That's another Thank You All - for inspiring my granddaughter who everyday inspires me - she's 9 - and she 'gets' astronomy already - she kept three scopes on target and ran thru the planets and a half dozen DSOs - without help during a family star-party couple months back - and you & the BHG - you're part of that - how cool is that? That's what 'good life' is.

man, I wish I coulda tool-boy'd on that build

Jim  

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 October 2018 - 10:13 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

reading that eqmount article (Thank you, Jeff) - everyone, do the same - it's gold! 

and thank you everyone except Jeff who clued me in that our Jeff is THE Jeff before I said something goofy in front of an Astronomy God...foreheadslap.gif

And visit here: http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/

and here's good, too: http://www.scas.org/

and

here to pay respects & learn about Dr. Parker: http://www.alpo-astr...h/DonParker.htm ,

here to pay respects & learn about Charles F. Capen:  http://www.alpo-astr...ChickCapen.html

Clear Skies & Sharp Eyes, 

Awed Jim

some cold, rainy mondays are better than others

I got some chores to do, but I'm gonna be thinking about how lucky we all are

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 October 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#11 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

The last of the "Black Hole Gang" are down to Carlos Hernandez and me.   One  of us, Tippy D'Auria, passed away in August and I am 78. Yes, an old lonely gangster :)  

• rcwolpert and jcruse64 like this

#12 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

I saw that Tippy had passed over on SCAS - condolences. Bill's celestial as well?

Doc Hernandez? The artist / observer? You have one hellatalented Gang, Jeff. Was checking out some of his fine work

here: https://www.facebook...70559456478123/   - just bought one of their AR127's and they seem like decent folks and having some of Mr. Henandez's work up there kicked them up another notch for me.

and here:  https://www.facebook...IDhMD&tn-str=*F   

I'm hoping I've got that right - remember, I'm green and kinda slow..

Don't be lonely - your still young @ 78 - I'm 58 and you have all of us - and that's just CN. You've also got some of the best Astronomy experiences, memories and stories. Whole world of astronomer's'll buy ya a tasty beverage and chew the fat - no lonely!

I'm reading the eqmount pdf, working on the chicken pen, reorganizing scope storage, trying to get a couple minutes solar in and clearing a spot to start a scope rack project - and popping in here, cause this like one keen peach to meet you here.

Jim

#13 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Carlos is busy fixing up kids and his observing time is limited.  He was one of us Martians back then.  The “Black Hole Gang” description came from Chick Capen after going out drinking with us.  We saw lots of stars.  Photo of us in 1980 with Parker's 12.5".  Don took photo( L2R:  me, Carlos, Chick).

1-26-2012 15-27-52_008.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 08 October 2018 - 02:32 PM.

• rolo, Exnihilo, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#14 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

The "Black Hole Gang" was born here:

14317527_10205229941828500_233179535453283175_n.jpg

• Stargoat, rolo, Exnihilo and 3 others like this

#15 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

"out of focus" - oh man!

I was twenty, over in Fulda, Germany when you guys were by the 12.5" - looking like the cast of a good 50's SciFi between takes.

managed to confirm the presence of the solar disk before clouds closed back in - Celes 50/360 and a Datyson 7~24 zoom - they're actually a nice little pair for some things.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of your drive correctors up on SGW recently - and you have a LOT of info in that 23 page pdf - extremely helpful, and all in one place, w/ equations - you guys have / had focus - something I've always needed more of.

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 October 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#16 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

Tom Cave picked that mount up for Chick Capen when Chick retired in 1984.  After Chick passed away in 1986,  I was visiting with Gina Capen in Cuba, MO and stubbed my toe on it under a work bench. "Ouch," I said, "how much do you want for it."  Parker and I took it back to my house in S. Florida..    laugh.gif  It's been in my family for 32 years.  It was supposed to mount Chick's 20" Cass.

Edited by Jeff B1, 08 October 2018 - 03:37 PM.

• rolo, rcwolpert and AstroKerr like this

#17 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

"out of focus" - oh man!

I was twenty, over in Fulda, Germany when you guys were by the 12.5" - looking like the cast of a good 50's SciFi between takes.

managed to confirm the presence of the solar disk before clouds closed back in - Celes 50/360 and a Datyson 7~24 zoom - they're actually a nice little pair for some things.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of your drive correctors up on SGW recently - and you have a LOT of info in that 23 page pdf - extremely helpful, and all in one place, w/ equations - you guys have / had focus - something I've always needed more of.

We all were young and foolish then; drank more Scotch than we should have.  Later, after some more Scotch, I had a guitar with only 3 strings and we really had a good time.  Glad no one recorded it smile.gif   Those were the days undecided.gif  Here is  most of the "Black Hole Gang."

BlackHoleGang2.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 09 October 2018 - 04:48 PM.

• Exnihilo, TSSClay, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#18 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:58 PM

Talking about parting out telescopes two of the telescope mounts I still have were Carlos's at one time or the other.  One was a Park's mount I modified and used for years then Carlos got it then he gave it back.  Old mounts never die, they just keep on clocking smile.gif  Here is Chick Capen and Carlos Hernandez; back in the day:

chick-4.jpg

Parks_Mount.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 09 October 2018 - 05:00 PM.

• Exnihilo, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#19 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: GA

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

I remember Don’s home made counterweights made of molten lead! Wish I would have visited more often...

• rcwolpert and AstroKerr like this

#20 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

I my youth, Scotch and Tequila - washed down wi' Guiness - Guiness really IS ambrosia - it's it's 'perfect'. Scotch - oh my laddy - God ran outta Guiness (one time) - invented Scotch - you can spike pears wi' it... <removed for brevity>

I wonder some how we stuffed sooo much livin into so little time back then -  seems half as many hours in the day, half as many days in a year now

Did you guys cut most of your own gears? I'm guessing yes - what would be a 'comfortable' mill / lathe setup for mounts destined for under a hundred or so lbs load for startin' out? I don't know I'll be any good at it til I try - but I'd like to do some slewable trackers, initially for 50~120mm tubes - I like brass, dark woods, crystal - I'd call it Nautilus or Nemo style - my daughter says that's now 'Steampunk' - w/ a flyball governor for kicks...

doesn't take much t' get me off-topic - my apologies

How'd he keep'em molten on the shafts??

Edited by AstroKerr, 09 October 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#21 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Just looking thru your images, Rol - you have done some awesome work - all of you have - do you have a favorite scope for imaging? I see you've done a lot with the C14 and the 12.5 Cave

#22 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: GA

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

The C14 is my favorite for planetary imaging. Hopefully after my kidney transplant I can get back into it.

• rcwolpert, bremms and AstroKerr like this

#23 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

I remember Don’s home made counterweights made of molten lead! Wish I would have visited more often...

Yes, we both melted lead on a BBQ grill and poured it into a plaster mold we made using a 12" diameter angle-food cake form or pan; see weights in image:. 

mount_16.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 10 October 2018 - 06:24 AM.

• rolo, TSSClay, Garyth64 and 2 others like this

#24 Jeff B1  Happy Birthday!

Jeff B1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

Sorry, getting old and can be OT quickly; what was the question?  lol.gif

• AstroKerr likes this

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

What's with the blue hose that looks like it is coupled to the top of that stubby pier somewhere Jeff..?

Looks like an air compressor hose to me, but maybe it's just garden hose etc - something to protect the mount's  wiring outside..?

• rolo and AstroKerr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics