•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WSP Costs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chucky

Chucky

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

Why is it so hard to determine costs for this star party. They force you to fill out your information first which is a pain. Should make it much easier and have one link take you to a chart.

Edited by Chucky, 11 October 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

It always sells out to those with deep pockets which is your first clue. If uncertain about going or committing to buying so early there's usually someone wanting to resell their ticket(s) at a discount.

#3 Chucky

Chucky

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

Makes sense Richard.  As the saying goes "if you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it".

Edited by Chucky, 11 October 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#4 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, United States of America

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

What is WSP?

#5 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

What is WSP?

Winter Star Party, held in the Florida Keys every winter.

Barry Simon

#6 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Setting up my scope and teardrop on the ocean for a week in February? Priceless.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0382.jpg

#7 Starman47

Starman47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

But you have to go once. Then just observe in the back yard until the wife forgives you for spending so much.

#8 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

Has anyone ever considered an alternate "make your own party" in south Florida?  I toyed with the idea of attending the WSP, but the price also put me off (as well as the stories about fire ants.... tongue2.gif ).  As an alternative, I'm considering heading to the Everglades National Park.  The walk in camping area overlooks Florida bay....seems like that should be a good spot to observe from.  Has anyone else observed from there?  (no intent to hijack the thread....but just curious).

#9 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

I much prefer fire ants over buzzard size skeeters ;)

#10 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

They're supposed to be much less a problem during the winter months (assuming it's been a dry winter).  Plus, if there's any breeze coming off the bay that will help.

#11 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

I would think the Everglades would be too close to Miami’s humongous light dome to be any good. Maybe the western side along alligator alley might be better but then you have Naples to deal with. But what do I know being from Michigan.

#12 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

According to the dark sky finder, the Flamingo campground is in a blue zone, though I'm sure there are light domes to the east from Miami.  Not too concerned, as my main goal is to capture a nice image of Omega Centauri and maybe Centaurus A grin.gif

The bad side is that it looks like March and April are the optimal months for these, but that might be pushing a bit close to mosquito season (then again, I could always hide in my tent and control the gear from there if need be, though it seems a shame to waste the dark skies by not doing some visual observing as well....)

Edited by caheaton, 03 December 2018 - 11:21 PM.

#13 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

The WSP was in the everglades way back when (80's), maybe someone attended in those days and could give a report. Light pollution may have worsened since then.

The objects you want to observe can be seen late at night on the meridian in February if you want less bug exposure.

#14 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

I did not attend in the 80s but members from my club, Southern Cross Astronomical Society (which hosts the WSP) regularly go to Mahogany Hammock in the Everglades when the weather cools down. At that site the Miami light dome is prominent towards the NE but the S, W, SW and NW are super dark. Flamingo (my preference) is further away and the Miami Sky dome is not much of an issue. However, there are many campers who make fires and have lots of lights on and such. The skies are beautiful though. I mostly like to go down to the Keys and observe at or near Bahia Honda State Park (next key over from WSP), the 7 Mile Bridge parking lot, Curry Hammock State Park, Long Key State Park or Anne's Beach (destroyed by hurricane but should be back soon). Omega Centauri is just awesome. Love to see it in my 16" F4 dob with binoviewers.

#15 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Also, I have never had an issue with fire ants. I usually get a bag of fire and killer, sprinkle it on my campsite, done. No ants.

#16 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

Okay this thread on WSP costs has run its course and drifted off topic. If anyone wants to discuss the WSP in general, there are other threads - or start a new one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics