•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Controlling my Orion XT10G with an iPad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 waynel

waynel

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

i would like to control my Orion XT10G goto scope with my iPad.  Is Skyfi the best option?  would like to minimize setup time and have something work consistently without much tinkering.  

Thanks

Wayne

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

I have the same DOB and use Orion StarSeek Wireless Telescope Controller with my iPad air and Sky Safari 6.  Although I believe Orion offers their own version of this.

#3 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I think the SkyFi you asked about and the Orion StarSeek are essentially the same thing and either one will be an excellent way to control your XT10g.

As far as controlling with iPad goes, there might be some cheaper ways to control the XT10g, but I don't think there will be any better ways. SkyFi, StarSeek, pick one.

#4 YAOG

YAOG

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal of course!

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

I resisted buying the SC WiFi adapter and SkySafari for a long time but the with the newest version 3 SkyFi Wi-Fi access point the darned things work perfectly so I had to have one. I have a Google Pixel XL phone and Galaxy Tab A and both devices work seamlessly with my Losmandy G11 Gemini 2-mini and GM8 Gemini 1 mounts. I took this same SkyFi-3 and built a cable for my buddy's 10" LX200 Classic fork mount SCT and it too work flawlessly. 

Yes, these are all similar products sold under different names. But the SkyFi-3 is the newest version and there have been some updates over the years. Orion, Meade etc all sell a relabeled version of the product from Simulation Curriculum which has a long track record of support. IMO you should buy from the source Simulation Curriculum, BTWs if you buy SkySafari 6 right now the newest SkySafari 6 is 50% off, jump on it. 

Chip

#5 waynel

waynel

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

Thanks all!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics