•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

screw smoothening

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 amendola

amendola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

I have a WO GT81 on back order from cyclops optics. They've offered free "screw smoothing" for the scope. Does anyone know exactly what that is? Should I get it or just reject it? 

#2 jfrech14

jfrech14

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

This was a much different post than I expected haha. Now I have to follow to know what it is.  lol.gif

• WarmWeatherGuy likes this

#3 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

For what it's worth, this is what Cyclops Optics says about it...

"Cyclops Optics' Exclusive Fine Tuning Service
We offer fine tuning service for the telescopes to provide a smoother screws control and grant the telescope a premium quality touch. The fine tune service costs HK$400 (US$50). It's now waived for time-limited period."

Better focuser motion and adjustment?

Clear skies, Alan

#4 amendola

amendola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

Here's an e-mail reply from Cyclops: 

We will specially process the screws on the telescope which would give you a premium feeling on the handling of the screws. In addition, the screws would also provide you feedback as you tighten or loosen it which will greatly enhance the handling especially while in the field at night.

Sounds great, I guess, but I'd like to know if they are really improving anything. I don't want them to make things worse...  

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

3 in 1 oil on the fasteners? Services offered with nebulous descriptions are best avoided. Why offer something and leave to the buyers imagination what it is? That amount translates to likely 15 minutes labor, it ain't no hypertune.

Edited by mich_al, 11 October 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#6 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

They need to define "specially process" fully. For $50 it's not going to be much. Polishing would be good if expertly done. Inexpert treatment could negatively alter mating surfaces.

Also you might ask why it's needed.

#7 amendola

amendola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

I was actually thinking that you get the opened and returned scopes when you get the "screw smoothing", and the unopened ones if you don't get the smoothing...

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

I was actually thinking that you get the opened and returned scopes when you get the "screw smoothing", and the unopened ones if you don't get the smoothing...

lol.gif

My guess is, havasman is right.  They take some of the "important" screws out, polish them, then put them back.  I wouldn't pay US$50 for that on a William Optics scope.  I'm not even sure I'd ask them to do it if the fee is waived for a limited time.

• Don W likes this

#9 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Just when you think you've heard it all.................screw smoothening!!

• DeanD likes this

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Hey, I could go into business doing this.....

#11 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:35 PM

On a WO scope, I'd much rather it stayed in the factory sealed and unopened box.  In fact, knowing there is someone running around thinking they can "Improve" really good hardware, I'm not sure if I'd want an order filled by them unless I was sure the box had never been opened.

-Rich

#12 amendola

amendola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

On a WO scope, I'd much rather it stayed in the factory sealed and unopened box.  In fact, knowing there is someone running around thinking they can "Improve" really good hardware, I'm not sure if I'd want an order filled by them unless I was sure the box had never been opened.

-Rich

This is what I'm thinking. I think that I'm going to request that they do not do anything to the scope other than ship it to me. 

• DeanD likes this

#13 DeanD

DeanD

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:30 AM

Generally WO have good finish and quality straight from the factory. I suspect a third party "screw smoothening" is basically a way to make money for actually achieving very little. If they are waiving their "normal" $50 fee "for a limited time" then I suspect you could be right in that they might be sending you a "pre-loved" scope that they have "repaired". They are there to make money after all: why would they provide an extra service if they don't get anything out of it?

(Dell do this with their computers: if you have a problem with a brand new item they will take it back and send you another one that they have "reconditioned": so you end up with a second-hand item that you paid the new price for!)

Alternatively, it is something you can/should do yourself as routine maintenance every year or so: eg: remove and clean the focuser if it isn't as smooth as it should be, check for any dirt and rust on the Crayford axle, clean and apply a little bit of oil/grease where needed etc. Less than 1/2 hour work and keeps everything smooth and working as per the factory.

If a scope has issues straight from the dealer, then it should be sent back to be fixed anyway.

Good luck with the 81GT: it sounds like a great scope!

- Dean

#14 amendola

amendola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

I haven't heard back about my request to not have the screw smoothing service. I also noticed that they "inspect" every item before sending. So that means that I'll be getting opened items. I just went ahead and canceled. I'm not going to pay a new price for a used item... So I've ordered from "high point scientific". It's on back order though, so I'll have to wait...

#15 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

lol.gif

My guess is, havasman is right.  They take some of the "important" screws out, polish them, then put them back.  I wouldn't pay US$50 for that on a William Optics scope.  I'm not even sure I'd ask them to do it if the fee is waived for a limited time.

I would care less about smoothing screws and instead smoothing and lubricating the gear mechanisms.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics