•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage 'USSR' 6x24: Komz, or con?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hello, All,

Checking photos of Komz 6x24 binoculars of the 1960s and 70s I note that on the left prism-plate they are invariably marked [and please excuse my inability to insert Cyrillic characters here]: bnw6x24 (without any spaces between the characters).

I'm being offered a pair marked, bwu2  6x24 (with a big gap between the two groups of characters). Below is a seven-digit serial-number which if genuine means that they were made in 1975.

Their hard case is crescent-shaped, of heavily-dimpled leather (from the looks of it) and embossed 'Made in USSR'.

Please forgive also my inability to supply photos; but based on the above is there something suspicious about these binos being 'bwu2' rather than the usual 'bnw'?

Thank you,

LT.

#2 Ant1

Ant1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Hi

There are three different markings (models) : both models you describe and a third with the lettering inside a rectangle and the komz logo on the left.

From you description I would say yours is legit. A pic would be best.

There are chinese clones of the 6x24 but as far as I'm aware they didn't get as far as to copy the marking and case.

Regards

Ant1

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

Dimpled leather case ,stamped USSR and crescent shaped,  they sound legit to me, later versions went to vinyl as did the Chinese knock offs,D.

#4 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

Thanks, Ant1,

That's reassuring. Would you kindly take a look at the pics I've managed to attach, please? They're of the left and right prism-plates (and some cheerful crochet-work).

'USSR' 6x24 left prism-plate.jpg

'USSR' 6x24 right prism-plate.jpg

Hope these help.

LT.

#5 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

Hi, Binojunky,

Here are pics of the binos; and their case which I've not seen in the flesh hence assume is leather.

'USSR' 6x24s.jpg

'USSR' 6x24 binocular-case.jpg

'USSR' 6x24 case-embossing.jpg

Do the above look genuine i.e. USSR-made, to you? Thanks for your input.

LT.

#6 Ant1

Ant1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hi

Yes it's the real thing.

The case is genuine too and it's not leather but some kind of synthetic stuff which smells.

Regards,

Ant1

#7 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hi again, Ant1,

Thank you so much for that. I'll buy them tomorrow. The seller says they're as clear as a bell so I am looking forward to them very much.

Thank you again,

LT.

#8 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

The logo is KOMZ for sure.

#9 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

Thank you, too, Foss.

I'm really looking forward to their arrival.

LT.

#10 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi, Binojunky,

Here are pics of the binos; and their case which I've not seen in the flesh hence assume is leather.

attachicon.gif 'USSR' 6x24s.jpg

attachicon.gif 'USSR' 6x24 binocular-case.jpg

attachicon.gif 'USSR' 6x24 case-embossing.jpg

Do the above look genuine i.e. USSR-made, to you? Thanks for your input.

LT.

They are the real thing, had a lot of Russian optics over the years and a couple of China knock offs,I think also you will find the case to be leather ,D.

Edited by Binojunky, 13 October 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#11 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Hello, All,

The Komz 6x24s arrived and are as clear as a bell...through the left eyepiece. Dioptre-setting of the right one isn't achievable as it rotates over-freely, having nil effect on focus. The three tiny screws around the circumference would appear to need tightening. (There's slop in the left 'piece, too.) Unfortunately, I haven't a screwdriver fine enough. Would any CNer be able to suggest what size of jeweller's/watchmaker's screwdriver I'm likely to need, please; or whether it's best to buy a small set? (I'm in the UK so other-side-of-the-pond trade-names may be lost on me.)

It's a little disappointing but a mere hiccup, I'm sure.

LT.

#12 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

Definitely a set. 1.0mm to 3.0mm should cover it. Heads up: sometimes tightening the screws reveals that the focusers have become overly stiff over time due to hardened grease.

#13 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hello, Foss,

Thank you for both tips.

I telephoned a local camera-repair shop that has been helpful before. It doesn't sell the screwdriver(s) I need but the nice man gave me the name of their tool-supplier. That company's website relates that the best quality, Japanese, small screwdrivers are no longer made; but that they have had even better ones manufactured just for them. Ooh goody: how do I order? Then I saw it said that the slot-headed 'drivers are sold-out . . . and they won't be getting any more. You have to laugh.

I'll find something not quite so super-dooper.

LT.

#14 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

See: https://www.micro-tools.de/en/home/

#15 Ant1

Ant1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hi,

You shall find a suitable screwdriver most easily.

Look for decent quality but not overkill since flat blades are easily damaged. The correct width for the Komz is 1.5mm width and brands I'm happy to recommend are Wera, Wiha, Bergeon, Facom (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

Regards,

Ant1

20181016-223737.jpg

#16 Luna Tic

Luna Tic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

Why, thank you, FrankL and Ant1.

Ant1, that pic looks familiar: same binos, yes? (I'm all jealous now, your getting that component off so straightforwardly. No but really, thanks, both, for the ringing endorsements of suppliers; and exact size of 'driver, Ant1 .)

Regards,

LT.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics