•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MAK Insulation

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

A couple of days ago we had a break in the clouds and got some observing in with my MAK 6.  The temperature started at 85 degrees F and dropped to 50 degrees F, and dew formed on everything.  Heavy dew!   The insulation kept the scope usable right from the start and dew did not affect its performance at all.  Friends say the scope looks "bad' but it works "good" with the ugly

insulation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Webp.net-resizeimage (30).jpg

• elwaine, Asbytec, dweller25 and 9 others like this

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:53 AM

I'm liking the insulation idea. Nice to hear it's working for you and others. 

#3 ThermalSeeker

ThermalSeeker

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hickory, NC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

The insulation is a great idea.  Maybe your friends are jealous that they can't trim insulation as good as you waytogo.gif

• Dave O likes this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

There is a beauty in practicality that transcends the superficial.

• elwaine, Sarkikos, vtornado and 2 others like this

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

Ugly is the new good.

• Sarkikos, gene 4181, treadmarks and 1 other like this

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

A couple of days ago we had a break in the clouds and got some observing in with my MAK 6.  The temperature started at 85 degrees F and dropped to 50 degrees F, and dew formed on everything.  Heavy dew!   The insulation kept the scope usable right from the start and dew did not affect its performance at all.  Friends say the scope looks "bad' but it works "good" with the ugly

insulation.

Are you using the insulation as the dew shield too or do you also have a dew shield attached?  

• Asbytec likes this

#7 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Jupiter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Nice job! waytogo.gif   Your Mak looks like a mini-Hubble. No one ever complains about the look of the Hubble.

The benefits of insulating Maks and SCTs finally seems to be gaining recognition. In just another decade or two we will no longer have to read posts complaining of the long cool down times of Maks and SCTs. smile.gif

• eros312, graffias79, Dave O and 2 others like this

#8 ThermalSeeker

ThermalSeeker

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hickory, NC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

Nice job! waytogo.gif Your Mak looks like a mini-Hubble. No one ever complains about the look of the Hubble.

The benefits of insulating Maks and SCTs finally seems to be gaining recognition. In just another decade or two we will no longer have to read posts complaining of the long cool down times of Maks and SCTs. smile.gif

Imagine an aero gel insulated mak...

#9 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the comments.  The gentleman I purchased the MAK 6 from also gave me some of the insulation that he used on his Mak.  The piece was large enough to fit around the tube assembly and also cover the dewshield which is in place.  I used silver duck tape to hold it together.  Since I have a finder base and a dovetail on the tube, I leave the insulation on permanently.  Good news is it protects the paint from being scuffed, etc.  The bad news is that the wonderful paint job is not visible.  My preference is more viewing time.

And, the views were exceptional.....my friend with the 16 inch DOB says its a "Big MAK".

Wes

• eros312 likes this

#10 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Hey Wes, I thought I recognized that finder base. grin.gif

I’m psyched that you like the Mak.

Larry

• k5apl, Asbytec, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#11 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:53 AM

The next step is to get manufacturers to embrace this and provide it as standard in their OTA construction as well as a dewcap. And to convince Synta that there really is a reason OTAs should be white, not black or navy.

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

So is there an actual benefit to insulating the dew shield?

Scott

#13 davidc135

davidc135

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

The next step is to get manufacturers to embrace this and provide it as standard in their OTA construction as well as a dewcap. And to convince Synta that there really is a reason OTAs should be white, not black or navy.

At night, for long wave I.R it may as well be black as white or so I have read, but aluminium is better. During the day it's short wave IR so white says cooler.

Mind you, on a dewy night, the reflectix on my 8'' Meade sct was dripping with water.

David

Edited by davidc135, 13 October 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Just cover the Reflectivix with that stick on stuff that looks like carbon fiber. It will then look like a cool carbon fiber scope. Not sure what that does to thermal properties...

#15 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

So is there an actual benefit to insulating the dew shield?

Scott

That will depend on your climate. Some folks have reported having no dew problems with just the OTA covered. IIRC, Yellobeard, the fellow who started this topic a while back, lives in Norway(?) and insulates the dew shield. 

• skyjim likes this

#16 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:11 AM

Nice job with the insulation, I recently insulated my SW180 Mak and it definitely made a difference. I no longer have to wait hours for the scope to acclimatise, I can set up at short notice and enjoy the viewing without thermal issues straight off. I still see the occasional posts mentioning the long cool down times associated with Maks, but hopefully this will soon change. 

Edited by GUS.K, 14 October 2018 - 05:13 AM.

• k5apl and elwaine like this

#17 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:23 AM

I insulated my 180 Mak with a product sold to insulate walls behind radiators and tried it for the first time last night; conditions were rapidly cooling, heavy dew which turned to air frost later on.

There was no heat plume visible in the o-o-f star image - promising! Looking at a number of key doubles (Epsilon Lyrae, STF 425, Delta Cygni and Lambda Cygni) results were near optimal from the start, and were as good as I've seen with the scope. The heat plume did return later on after I had been looking at targets near the zenith - I assumed this might be heat leaving the front corrector plate as the scope pointed upwards. It didn't seem to affect performance though. Even after nearly two hours, the corrector was dew-free although the outside of the scope insulation was dripping.

Before trying it, I was a sceptic (in the day job, it is my profession), but I must say I was impressed!

Chris

• eros312, StarDust1, GUS.K and 2 others like this

#18 JimFR

JimFR

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

This is my next project.  Out tonight, from 21C inside to 7C outside the Bresser mak was a mushy mess at anything near 100x.  Left it for an hour and tack sharp at 230x.  Time to find some thick flexible material and some Velcro and put a combo blanket/due shield on it.

#19 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

Ugly is the new good.

Right? I would never do this to my orange tube C8 XLT, but if I were to acquire something like a C11 I would probably use a foam yoga mat instead of Reflectix.

#20 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:52 PM

insulation.

I "treated" my C11 the same way.  Best $12 astronomy purchase in a while.  No heat plumes -great views with dropping temps.... and humidity??? There's a lot of humidity in Louisiana.  Everything was dripping, except for corrector.  

#21 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

Reid and others- I'm glad you have results similar to mine.  Our weather has been so lousy that I haven't been back out to observe!

So no follow-up.

#22 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:33 PM

Follow-up:

Yesterday at 8:30pm, 

I wheeled the C11 from a 55F garage to a 34F outside and immediately began observing.

I was staying with 2" eyepieces, a LVW 42 (67X) and a ES 28 (100X).   There were no heat plumes, the stars at 100X were very nicely presented.  Only in a direct overhead view of Almach did I see a bit of fuzz.  I stayed out for an hour.  No dew, images stayed clean.  

The insulation is the real deal.

The C8 is next.

• Paul Schroeder, punk35, R Botero and 3 others like this

#23 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the follow up.

#24 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

I really need to do this with my C11 in the next few days. I've got family coming into town for the holiday. Now I won't have to pretend to be outside observing for the first couple of hours laugh.gif

• vtornado likes this

#25 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

C11 Thermal Wrap

Here's the C11 in the wrap.

You'll see the orange bungee.  That holds the telrad as  accurately as a base.  The added benefit is that it can be quickly moved to the opposite side of the tube . .. and no hassle trimming of the reflectix.

• punk35, elwaine, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics