•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Detect exoplanets by yourself with the cheapest equipment

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

MPO Canopus does asteroid and exoplanet light curves but I would say the learning curve is steeper for the former. AstroimageJ doesn't seem to handle a moving target as well however.

It looks like Prism or MaximDL is also an option.

• A8N6B3 likes this

#27 pixlimit

pixlimit

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Hamburg, Red Zone

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

cool job

What are the next steps, if you think you have discovered one?

clear skies

Peter

• A8N6B3 likes this

#28 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:17 PM

Well done! Bravo! I'll be looking into this in the coming year!

Thank you!

Clear Skies, and open eyes belushi.gif

Bryan

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 07 October 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#29 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

This is great stuff. I’ve seen various estimates, but if we assume that the majority of stars have at least one exoplanet, why would it be difficult for any one of us, using our own equipment and the methods excellently outlined here, to eventually “discover” one by sequentially trialing random stars? What would make a random star a greater candidate for detection?

Derek

#30 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

cool job

What are the next steps, if you think you have discovered one?

clear skies

Peter

Thanks!

The next step would be to ask other observatories to confirm your candidate. 

#31 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

This is great stuff. I’ve seen various estimates, but if we assume that the majority of stars have at least one exoplanet, why would it be difficult for any one of us, using our own equipment and the methods excellently outlined here, to eventually “discover” one by sequentially trialing random stars? What would make a random star a greater candidate for detection?

Derek

Thanks!

Yes, it's difficult to find one unless you are monitoring the whole sky (like in the MEarth project).

However, the chances increase by monitoring one star at a time during several months. I'm coordinating 30 observatories that actually do this.

• torsinadoc, GalaxyPiper and Haukka like this

#32 HH_ASTRO

HH_ASTRO

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

Hello, I am trying to perform multi aperture photometry, however, when I try to click stars and it places a target on the star, the target moves when I zoom in/ out. And when I run the photometry it says something like: "no signal for centroid in aperture C2 of image..."

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

#33 astroseyer

astroseyer

Explorer 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Edited by ASTROSEYER, 11 December 2019 - 03:58 PM.

• caballerodiez91 likes this

#34 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

Hello, I am trying to perform multi aperture photometry, however, when I try to click stars and it places a target on the star, the target moves when I zoom in/ out. And when I run the photometry it says something like: "no signal for centroid in aperture C2 of image..."

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Not sure why the target moves when you zoom in, but the "no signal for centroid in aperture C2 of image..." is probably caused due to a jump between two images. 

If the mount is not perfectly aligned, the stars will move through the screen when astroimagej is stacking the images, which is fine, but if there is a big 'jump' between two images, astroimagej won't be able to provide the light curve. 

If astroimagej tells you what image causes the problem, I suggest you to edit that image and move it a bit closer to the next image. 

To do so, click on process, shift image manually, enter the needed adjustments and then save the file. If it still gives error, try with different adjustments on the previous or next image.

Cheers.

#35 brian_a_paden

brian_a_paden

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Wow impressive that you managed that with a 135mm camera lens. I measured a 1% depth transit with an 8” sct and a sony a6000. The signal to noise when I did it was marginal and the dip for the transit was noticeable, but not like the crisp plots I’ve seen with the AIJ tutorial dataset. I had to set up some python scripts to convert the camera raw files to fits files with acceptable headers for astroimagej. It blows people away when you tell them you can measure exoplanets with amateur gear.
  • jntkwx likes this

#36 okietwisterdan

okietwisterdan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:20 PM

Didn't know this was possible! Very cool. I will have to try it myself.

#37 HH_ASTRO

HH_ASTRO

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

Not sure why the target moves when you zoom in, but the "no signal for centroid in aperture C2 of image..." is probably caused due to a jump between two images. 

If the mount is not perfectly aligned, the stars will move through the screen when astroimagej is stacking the images, which is fine, but if there is a big 'jump' between two images, astroimagej won't be able to provide the light curve. 

If astroimagej tells you what image causes the problem, I suggest you to edit that image and move it a bit closer to the next image. 

To do so, click on process, shift image manually, enter the needed adjustments and then save the file. If it still gives error, try with different adjustments on the previous or next image.

Cheers.

Thanks! My images were misaligned so a big jump was messing it up.

This software looks so promising but I still haven't had great success with it yet. My plots seem very "spiky", even  the plots of stars that I know shouldn't be changing have very eccentric plots. And there doesn't seem to be a way to determine if the issues are my use of the software or my data:(

Does anyone have a data set with a known detection that I could use to test with?

Thanks

#38 Jmw845

Jmw845

Sputnik

• Loc: New York USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

I gotta try this.  Very interesting.

#39 ScopeJunkie

ScopeJunkie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Earth (Phoenix and Louisville

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

Wow!  I wish I had found this post earlier.  I can’t wait to try this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics