•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Keys - for leather case

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

Todd,

When you get the keys from Questar (and if it works) please take one to your local locksmith and see if he can duplicate it.  If so you can supply them to others.

Congratulations,  Bill

#27 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

Wonderful news and another case of Jim at Questar helping out bow.gif

#28 Winks

Winks

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

I have the same problem - and, apparently the same make of case.  Bought the Cheney #30 keys.  Nope.  So, as Questar likely has no other copies of those keys, any suggestions? I should have known that anything with Cheney on them would not work.  Oops, sorry, my colors are showing.

• LKSM12 likes this

#29 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

Ebay has a couple Excelsior 6K11 keys listed. 

- Dave 

#30 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

Now that "We" know what the number is- maybe a locksmith is cheaper than the keys on Ebay? Tell the locksmith: Excelsior #6K11.       Todd

#31 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

Dave, I have checked all of my guitar cases. The only one that was close-was a Cheney #30!- No go! The key for my lock is very close to a #30. It seems that the key slot on my case/lock is "a little" smaller(shorter), maybe 1/16". The nib or tang(of the key slot) that rides in the cut out of the key- looks to be "pointed" on my case. The Cheney lock-key slot is a bit rounded. I looked on "- Bay" the Excelsior keys look very promising , but which one?confused1.gif I'll keep looking, Thanks.

Is there enough ‘meat’ on the Cheney #301 to modify they key to fit bu using a file or Dremel to make the necessary changes to the key shape?

#32 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

Anyone know if the Excelsior 6K11 key fits a 1985 case? (A 1982 case change was mentioned in a post above. I wonder if they “changed the locks”!? lol.gif )

The key is not a real biggie for me as I am in the cue for the next round of Ben’s wonderful travel cases and that will be the case I use away from home. The key to the leather case would be nice just to complete things but I don’t see it as essential.

Edited by terraclarke, 04 June 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#33 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

Be sure to check your case really well for missing keys.  I have found keys in a couple of Questar cases along with the Bristol wrench that the owners said they had been missing for decades.  You need take everything out of the pockets and Look  down in the pockets so you can see the bottom to be sure they are not there. You can't easily feel them.

- Dave 

#34 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

Be sure to check your case really well for missing keys.  I have found keys in a couple of Questar cases along with the Bristol wrench that the owners said they had been missing for decades.  You need take everything out of the pockets and Look  down in the pockets so you can see the bottom to be sure they are not there. You can't easily feel them.

- Dave

Yep, I went through it all- leg pouches, cord pouch, and solar filter pouch. Nothing, zip, nada, thanks for the reminder though.

#35 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

I’m just curious, has anyone actually found a benefit to locking the case? I suppose if you worried about your kids playing with the telescope it could keep them at bay. I’m not sure what the other benefits might be.

In their discussion of the original leather cases, Company Seven offers perhaps the most artful response to this question: "keep in mind these locks only serve to keep the honest person honest."
  • Terra Nova likes this

#36 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

You want to hear about serendipity?  I purchased a very lightly used 1998 Q a few years back.  Unfortunately it was missing the keys to the case and the little Bristol wrench.  Nothing in the pockets, I even stuck a magnet down in them to see if anything stuck.  Not having the keys never bothered me much.  Still, I had the scope out this morning and began to wonder...

As it happens I am a bit of a packrat.  One of the things I tend to keep and throw in my junk drawer are old keys.  I looked on the body of one of the latches and they show being the Excelsior brand.  So I dug out my box of old keys and there was one key with the Excelsior name across the front.  I am sure these were very commonly used latches but it still pretty cool to find it.  The code is the same 6K11 code as on the one in this thread.  It works perfectlysmile.gif 

• R Botero, Terra Nova and Gregory Gross like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics